Community input needed: system design goals

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Race Abilities to avoid derailment.

- Combat systems
The one controlling the pixels should be skilled rather than have spent a lot of time in game to be effective. No lazy I WIN buttons.

- Crafting systems
Make machinery upgradeable or connectable to other machines, so that I don’t have to move from one to another all the time. Driving me nuts switching machines to get something done now. I’d like to be able to eventually have all machines connected or just use one giant machine to make my cornflakes.

- Construction systems
Construction without destruction is a fallacy. Give us a PvP concept.

- Progression systems
Progression in less functional stuff is nice. Like being able to craft decoratives, or being able to show rank on shoulders, having a badge for achievements displayed on a banner in your home that automatically changes shape and design based on achievements.

- Player customisation systems
Please don’t create those ridiculous santa outfits, dolls and that kind of stuff. It really ruins the game lore, look and feel and generally devalues the game entirely. Pulls me out of the fantasy world.

- Titan systems
Should be able to destroy beacons and what’s inside it. If titans can’t do that, they’re not really titanic are they?

- Beacon / land claiming systems
My worst fear is this system stays the same. Don’t make it a prison in which I can move around stuff. Make it possible for me to entirely disappear off the grid with my beacon (to mainly prevent world regeneration) AND allow me to set the beacon to allow players to destroy stuff in it. Right now it’s too safe, too much whispering to me I should just build something, and then log off and never come back. They are now way too restrictive instead of creating a ‘boundless’ experience. Regardless the skills, the progressions, the cool looks of the game, the everything you can do to make yourself excel or look different; beacons will either fail hard and ruin the game or succeed and have this become a success.

I’d like to also point out we should be able to combat world regeneration through other means other than through beacons.

Have discussed this with community here: Why beacons + worldregen doesn't work

- Guild systems
Guilds should be able to create quests for their members, have an internal achievement system and have an internal reward system tied to ranks (last one would have to be optional). Don’t make guilds have more beacon plots based on guildsize. This makes big guilds even more powerful. Guilds would then become functional instead of social and transforms guilds into invite spammers.

3 Likes

No they shouldn’t.
That would completely ruin the purpose of beacons

1 Like

the beacon sounds interesting. Honestly i dislike every aspect of the world regeneration. because I enjoy building huge structures. Furthermore when one world is depleted of resources you can just go go to another world. I dont know if that made sense but it did to me.

1 Like

Totally agree with you on everything especially

and

(though, I’d still rather see those in the cash-shop than the actual wearables sets…)

That’s a matter of opinion.

But other players were acive on those ‘other’ worlds as well, depleting the resources there…

2 Likes

yeah i am a dumbass i noticed that right after i sent it lol.

I think it makes sense for titans to be able to destroy blocks inside beacons, but not the beacon itself. If they can destroy beacons, there will likely be players that just follow titans around and pillage the remains of builds for loot.

1 Like

Only three objectives I’m particularly opinionated about.

PvP: combat. must. exist.
Even a soft form of combat where opponents are only K.O.'d or surrender. Dual systems are fine. It’s human nature that of you put weapons in a players hand, they are going to long to test themselves against others. Preventing that removes a huge block of gameplay.

My personal preference is for free, open world PvP where players must accept the consequences of their actions, reinforced with a guild/faction reputation system.

Which is a great segway into…

Guilds!: Remember how factions worked in Vanilla WoW? I imagine guilds working sorta like that. You can join as many as you want, performing tasks for them automatically boosts your reputation, and attacking or killing it’s members automatically reduces your reputation with them. Your reputation with a guild is reflected by the color of nameplates (both yours and members of that guild) and friendly players do not harm each other without agreeing to a dual.

Since obviously not everyone would be allied with the same guilds, an “at peace” or “at war” and “neutral” mechanic could be toggled between guild leaders to make alliances across guilds.

Lastly, Beacons: Yep, they are entirely too safe at the moment. That’s perfect for the current state of the game. But I would like to take some of that safety away. I would also like to add a number of toggles to what the beacon does and does not protect. Namely, I would like to see beacons vulnerable to Titans. It neuters the threat of a Titan otherwise.

Beacons should not be totally exposed to titans, though. Give them a shield that offers protection against a Titan’Titan’ onslaught for a period of time. That way, players can defend themselves and their property, and larger plots have higher resistance to damage. Sounds like fun to me!

4 Likes

How does that make sense? If I build a cool village/town with my friend and a titan destroys everything I’d probably just stop playing. I thought you’d use a beacon so your buildings wont get destroyed…

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Also, not all worlds would need to behave that way (or even have titans) - some worlds can be more dangerous than others.

For example: I’d love to see it where a titan passing through a village/town I’ve built destroys some blocks (say 5-10% or something), and requires some rebuilding. It’s a good incentive to try to defend your builds, and adds excitement.

1 Like

Also, wasn’t it mentioned that Titans would spawn in “Titan Bioms”? Sounds like you would be assuming certain risks to build on the surface of such a biome.

1 Like

I guess that all depends on whether you’re actually logged on at the time though.

I’d say that would require some mechanic in place that makes the titans travel in almost exactly the same direction all the time (or at a minor tangent each time it passes over the world wrapped edges), otherwise several passes over a beacon at 10-15% at a time could be quite devastating… especially to a large build.

If that’s the case, you can pretty much ignore everything I just wrote :wink:

2 Likes

I´d like to see something similar to Factions in EvE Online.
By default you are not a subject to PvP unless you (or your “guildleader”) enlists you (or your guild) for factional warfare. From this point on every member of a hostile faction is free to attack you (and your stuff) without any penalty.
Something similar would be neat for Boundless:
Each guild can choose to join or create a faction and negotiate alliances / declare war with other guilds.
Pushing a guild into surrender could yield nice rewards for the winning and penalties for the loosing party.
This way no one is obligated to join PvP but it also removes the need for dedicated PvP worlds.

As long as rebuilding means that I just have to throw some materials into a “Blueprint” that aromatically fills the gaps I´d be fine with titans destroying some stuff.
Cause looking for those 10% missing blocks in a huge build sounds quite tedious.

3 Likes

This would give people, especially builders, an incentive for hunting titans besides loot. This would also create a reason for titans existing, other than sitting dormant, waiting to be destroyed. The titans could slowly move towards player made structures on higher level worlds (I want to see a titan get raided by hundreds of players because it starts moving too close to a capitol), and they could just wander on lower level worlds. What would happen if you were caught under a titan though?

It would be cool if, since guilds will be competing to be the best, there were strategic points owned by npcs that guilds could take over. While at peace with a guild, you would have the ability to use these areas to your advantage. While neutral with a guild, they would have private access to the area, and you would need to ask permission to enter the point (if you enter without permission, your rep will lower.). If you are at war with the guild, you could either attack players in the area, and once you claim some sort of objective, your guild will own the area. There could also be the possibility to buy out the area from the guild. Some of the strategic areas could be mines (where ores occur more than they do otherwise), Arenas (where you could grind monsters faster), etc.

Defeating other guilds could cause your guild to gain more beacon space and money, while being defeated would cause you to lose that amount of beacon space and money. Obviously there would need to be a limit on how much you could lose, causing guilds to be unable to attack your guild while in a grace period. Once a guild master chooses to go to war with another guild, they would be prompted with a message telling them that this action cannot be undo’d and then it would show the reward/losses that you would receive.

2 Likes

And again… NPC’s will not take any part in this game.

1 Like

Monsters are NPCs, not players :stuck_out_tongue: And i mean with this: Anything what have AI is NPC.

1 Like

Not true. Monsters are considered “mobs”. NPC is short for non-player character and is used to describe characters that drive the story via dialog or player interaction (trade, workers, village people).

Therefore AI =/= NPC.

6 Likes

Sorry, I was typing that at one in the morning and was half asleep. Even though I read that, I still said it :sleepy:

Yeah NPC is AI and AI is NPC :slight_smile: Like i said, anything with AI is NPC and monsters pathfinding requires AI as core feature :wink: There is 4 different kind of NPCs what i know:
1. Static: critters like butterflies what repeat certain animation pattern (in some games like skyrim you can collect them).
2. Hostile: monsters what attacks players on sight.
3. Passive: creatures what either runaway or attack when player attacks them.
4. Interactive: these are NPCs what you can interact like sell stuff, buy stuff, get quest and so on. So there will be no interactive NPCs at all in Official Boundless Universe servers, players will act as shops :slight_smile:

Crafting Systems:

I noticed on the Testing branch of the game, you guys are experimenting with ‘R’ and ‘L’ hand holding elements. Personally I am not a fan of this and feel it is overly complicated. Playing yesterday I could not actually put anything in my left hand and use it. Also I hate using RMB as standard for mining things, LMB is so much easier and more comfortable. I think the old method of having a hot bar is much better.

Construction Systems:

Lots of building blocks, free of lag and less mining time on half blocks / sloped blocks.

Will there be extensive farming in the game? This was one of my favourite parts of Minecraft, to have a sustainable food source and medicine source.

Progression Systems:

Great idea for keeping the game fun in the long-term, 7 Days to Die does a great job with this. Keeps you working towards something.