Community Zones instead of forced settlements

Was trying to think of parameters. It should require a decent sized group to become dense enough with citizens to warrant a zone.

Exactly. This commerce zone is a specialty zone that has special needs. These needs are not the same as a small, quiet community of builders (for example). The commerce zone doesn’t need/want lots of space and elbow room. Something that builders and/or solo players probably value most. Maybe instead of a crafting bonus for the builders/industrial zone, they were granted a cool unique machine that only they could use - as a benefit of their hard work. Maybe an industrial zone has larger plot size limits and lower # of beacons required for it to become available?

Perhaps, but I would like to know more before I could support the idea. If you withdraw your want to have it a flat % bonus to all crafting output, then my stance on this topic becomes neutral,

I honestly do not understand what this means.

I would gladly change/withdraw it. I was just tossing ideas/numbers out. Perhaps whatever bonus or benefit each zone would receive would be highly custom to that specific zone?

On the 2nd point…
I was just thinking…If you are a crafter, you probably need more room to store items, your large machines and such. If there were plot size mix/max in the zones(so no one could over-take anyone else once they are set), then I think this zone would probably need larger sizes for each denizen. It would probably also not be as densely populated as a shopping area would, so the # of beacons required to trigger the option on the main beacon should probably be less :woman_shrugging:

The more highly custom it is, the less likely select groups of players would feel left out, and the less likely it would cause the wrong types of players to create problems.

My mind is not connecting the dots on this at this time, I will have to ponder about this when my very strong painkillers start to wear off.

1 Like

Apologies, I am probably not explaining it well enough then. My brain is still fried from yesterday

I am sure it is me, They are strong pills with many warnings about impairment of judgement.

:open_mouth: I hope they help you feel better tho

1 Like

I think you have an issue with one player deciding for a group of players what happens. If you have a settlement and the current warden selects it to be a Commercial Zone that is great. All the players build stores and gets the perks. Then the next person comes in an they do not want to run a shop so they become warden and change to residential. That means all those players that invested time and effort in a store now have to either move or just deal with it. I think this creates a lot of issues for the developers to have to intervene and adjudicate.

What happens when two settlements merge and one was commerce and one was industrial? I do not think this stops forced merges my fear is it makes them create more issues when it happens than we have now.

1 Like

The zone is locked unless the beacon goes wild.

I don’t think settlements should merge. Once a zone is locked, it can only be changed if the beacon goes wild.

I know this is part of the game right now though and it’s just my viewpoint.

Edit to add:

I included this because once the zone has been chosen (if it is), then limiting plot availability to each player(within the zone) would help prevent anyone from over-taking (or maybe attempting to) the main area/zone that everyone has spent time setting up in.

Yeah I think in the end this strips away a towns ability to adapt as things change. If you had an active commerce site but players decide not to run their shops or moved someplace else, the remaining players might want to just be residential and they do not have that choice without letting the main beacon expire? I see where you are coming from but games change and what players want to do changes and this would concern me.

I would not disagree that players need to have a way not to be merged, but I definitely do not think it should be locked behind high prestige and a certain number of players. We have probably around 6 active players in my settlement and thousands of plots and millions in prestige, do we not deserve to decide if we get merged? Does a single player that has spent hundreds of hours on a build or a low prestige farm not also deserve the right to not be merged? While again I understand the desire to find a way to prevent merges but not create issue for existing builds, I do not like the fact that this essentially tells the individual that they do not matter and leaves them at the mercy of whoever decides to take them over.

You should not merge if you don’t want to. In either situation.

If a community wants to specialize, I think they should be allowed to.

If a community doesn’t, they can choose to leave it without specializing or locking a zone.:

My suggestions do none of this. I am against this.

OK I figured we agreed on this, but I am not sure how the mechanic you are proposing gives either of the two situations I outlined a way to not merge. If we have to pick a Zone in order for that to happen then we would not have met the criteria in either case. And what happens if we decide that we do want to merge?

If you have to have 10 or 20 beacons belonging to different players to create a zone then how does a single player do it? Obviously I am missing something.

They don’t :woman_shrugging:
Why would a single player want to create a dense city zone with themself? Don’t they want to be a single player?

ok here is what I am missing then. . how does a single player not get merged? I had thought only the zones stopped the merging. Am I trying to make them do something you were not saying?

However a single player might want the perks of the zone.

Yes, since settlement requirements are so low (10k prestige), a single player is likely to become a “settlement” at some point. I really don’t think this is logical, but it is currently in the game.

I think we need more permissions to control our beacons and communities.

lol…then they will need to venture away from their awesome mountain cave, and pick a community that has the zone/benefits that they would like, and add a small annex/satellite spot there. :wink:

1 Like

I do not disagree with this.

2 Likes

Yeah this is where I could not support it. I have seen single player builds larger than some of the communities and malls. I think their effort deserves the same rewards. With the guild perks if you have the coin you can do it with 1 or 100 players.

But lets see if the developers see value in this. All I have is my opinion.

Size doesn’t matter, it’s how you use what you’ve got. (slowly walks away…)

I agree their efforts should be rewarded. Should it be the same reward as other people doing different things in different ways? No.

Guilds would remain. They can keep using those machines/buffs. Zones and joining a zone is totally optional. Just like a Guild.

Isn’t being in a community already an advantage compared to a solo player?