Constant unplayable connection

I would hope so, thanks for all the great help :+1:

1 Like

Take whatever you read in this thread (including my own comments) with a large pinch of salt. It’s about 85% accurate information, 15% guesswork and “cargo-cult network engineering”.

The idea that DNS is the cause of “Unplayable Connection” messages is, to use the diplomatic term, somewhat questionable. DNS affects the time to resolve a name into an IP address; it has absolutely nothing to do with the ongoing latency once your computer has an active connection to the server. The claims that changing DNS has “fixed the issue” for some people seem to be contradicted by subsequent statements that the issue reappeared shortly afterwards, meaning that it was not actually fixed at all.

If changing DNS servers or clearing caches has ever seemed to help, this is most likely coincidental: for example, a situation where one particular Boundless server is having performance problems might appear to be resolved when a subsequent DNS query takes you to a different (randomly-selected) server — but this is not a problem with DNS, it’s a problem with the Boundless server itself. There is no guarantee you won’t get the problematic server again some time later.

Using a fast/alternative DNS is still a decent idea in general (I use CloudFlare), since it may improve browsing speed (when your browser is making a large number of DNS lookups to lots of different sites at once). Depending on the policies of your ISP and the particular alternative DNS you choose, it may also improve privacy, and avoid certain forms of ISP-implemented censorship. But don’t expect it to improve ping times, because these only measure the time to send and receive a packet to the server’s IP address — the DNS resolution happens once, before the first “ping” packet is even sent.

2 Likes

Yeah I usually just quiet out after someone completely mis-reads something I post lol. If you can stay connected at all, DNS isn’t the problem. I linked to a thread with nothing about DNS in it except (as usual) someone suggesting I check my DNS, and was basically told “IT’S NOT DNS JEEEEZ…” :rofl:

There are several tools available to isolate an issue and troubleshoot it further. Usually if these issues are not transient, they’re local. It’s odd, but it happens, that you are able to nail it down to something specific out in “the cloud”, as I linked above. If you can directly ping the world server with a 35ms ping time then boundless reporting 350 - 400 ms is an indication that the problem is somewhere besides your connection to the server.

The thing is that boundless’ “unplayable connection” rarely has anything to do with the actual ping time shown in game. There actually is some dev info posted here for those who don’t understand how that works but it’s an “effective round trip” time that also includes packet handling and some processing.

Wraithling is right, if you can ping it by it’s DNS name, then DNS is not the problem.

The typical solution when it’s an individual problem seems to be focused around junk on the pc or bad connection at the house (or wherever). It’s like “road plots” it seems like the verbiage chosen for the warning - “Unplayable Connection” - is misdirecting for a lay person.

People get so mad though.

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with what has been said but I know from experience that when I did change my DNS it solved my issue completely… Just saying but of course there can be a wack load of other issues leading to the bad connection as well. I just mentioned my solution because it worked for me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s worth checking out because it’s easy to adjust and if your ISP has you pointed at a crappy DNS server it can solve some problems. Amazon moves stuff around internally and things … change … on the internet so it IS important to have a good DNS server that’s updating constantly and etcetera.

Also unless you’ve manually fixed your DNS on something that’s failing, not updating, whatever, most DNS specific issues are going to disappear within 24 to 48 hours anyways. The same with a lot of transient routing issues that aren’t technically DNS related.

So DNS is typically either an immediate answer, or not really relevant, from what I’ve seen. When you’re staying connected but having other problems there are more tools available, also in game, to nail it down.

1 Like