Contemplating getting Boundless: Some stuff I'd like to know

I’ve been hopping between a lot of sandbox style games and I’ve often found something missing among them, and that’s mainly mechanical complexity. Starbound is probably the farthest along in this regard, but Boundless does offer something that none of these games have with their highly sophisticated portals. So what I’d like to know…

1: Can portals link two positions within the same world?

2: I’ve heard of bouncepads, but are there other ‘active blocks’ in the game, like elevators for example, or machinery of some kind? Or are there plans to add those?

My interest is probably primarily in that when I create a hideout, I’d like it to be something extra special and intriguing. So automation, elevators, hidden doorways, locked doorways, portals, teleporters, etc… Those things are all things I’d like to have.

Does Boundless have this kind of stuff, or will it have such things in the future?

2 Likes

A mechanic doing this is supposed to happen at some point if I remember correctly

I don’t actaully know about that but the idea is interesting indeed.

You’re not alone here^^ I’d also like many machines and automation things.
But for 1.0 you shouldn’t hope for too much. Basic production chains maybe some automation but not much more I’d say.
Mostly because they have to do the other aspects of the game too and it’s a huge game.

Should they not want to implement automation to an extend you (or I) would like it, could you always go on a modded server.
They are not connected to the main universe but there you could have all the machines and gadgets you like.

About linking portals on the same world. I think you can kind of warp on the same world and need a portal to travel to other worlds. But I’d need to search for a dev comment on that one^^
And yes they plan to add many more things like bounce pads which take advantage of the sandbox and physics.

2 Likes

Even better bouncecoaster incomming :smiley:

1 Like

The engine supports this. (We used to call portals between worlds Portals, and portals within a world Warps. But I think the designers have been rethinking this.) However, the general idea of the portals is to move between worlds and to allow people to build cool structures and environments.

Boundless is a physical sandbox, this means that blocks have variable friction and bounciness. New blocks in the pipeline also implement more physical actions (vertical, horizontal, and diagonal impulses, and conveyor belt like behaviour.)

7 Likes

I can almost see my factory taking shape *_*

6 Likes

“You had me at Hel…” … “Conveyor Belt” :wink:

Yes, the engine seems very advanced in comparison to other sandbox games, and that’s what excites me most about Boundless. I’m very curious as to how far the devs are going to take it!

1 Like