Could we get an Auction house already...please? :)

Unless theres a location token in your idea I would never use it unless it’s an extremely good deal. Just like there’s places I never visit because they are only connected to one network and it’s one I never use.

3 Likes

I think knowing what people are offering out there could help stimulate people running around a lot more instead of staying in their beacon building their project or out acquiring crafting materials to then continue building their project. But I get what you’re saying since we pretty much are approaching it in similar ways.

Oh, that’s quite interesting, you must be doing something right and that invite footfall to your settlement. However, it does affect footfall to shop lot. While it is true that people who chose not to use auction house would have the chance to do it the “old way” should it be implemented, but why would anyone want to go for a hassle if there is a more efficient way to do things. Implementing auction house would definetely devastate shops and malls build.

I think it’s a mistake that I include settlement building in my sentences. While a settlement can be build without a market, some settlement does has a market section. This is why I include it as a point albeit a less affected one. My perspective is that market is definetely a footfall bonus for settlements. I suppose if an Auction House is implemented, settlement could still build market for role-playing purposes but it doesn’t sit well with me with that being it’s sole purpose.

No we do not invite footfall. . we do not try to generate footfall. That is an underlying assumption that players make is that everything needs to be about generating footfall. If you have a store then you have a store to sell for a profit. At least that is how most games work. You get coin for selling stuff not for people coming into your store.

1 Like

If shops could turn off FF generation in favor of no or very little tax cut out of item sales, I think people would do that since in the long term the less item taxes would net more coin in the shop keeper’s pocket. This is 100% an assumption and guess though.

Although this does put a lot of pressure on the shop owner advertising their location, prices, and items being sold.

I’m still against the idea of an all interplanetary, everything shown on one screen, auction house…
Especially not one that doesn’t require you to go to the shop to purchase a required item. Footfall is not just given to shop owners… but every beacon you pass through along the way!

We also need to remember that the Tax value from shop stands was originally intended to be a customisable figure set by the capital of each world - this hasn’t yet been implemented, and I don’t know if it still will be, but it at least needs to be taken into consideration.

That said, however, I think it might worth exploring some of the potential options this concept art presented …

Maybe these could be linked to all shop stands / request baskets within a beacon and the signal is only active if there are items to sell or coin in the baskets.

Some (random) ideas to then gain visibility of those signals could be-

• They could appear as a coloured marker on an atlas with a socketed item (would work better for selling, but not so well for buying as you’d already need to have one of an item before you try to buy).
  • They could be linked to “signal receiver” game asset which has visibility of all transmitted signals, either at a settlement or planetary level (this could also potentially display prices (maybe ?)). Then if a small fee is deposited, it could set your custom waypoint so you could get to the items you want. The fee could go to the creator of the signal receiver asset as an incentive to craft it and make it accessible.

Maybe you require a location signal of different types to signify what types of items you are selling :man_shrugging: (I’m just throwing ideas around now).

What other things would people suggest along these lines? Personally, I really do not want to see another in game menu to handle this stuff, so an in game way would be much better imo.

6 Likes

I’m in favor of player organized auctions. I did one once back in beta that went surprisingly well for the small number of players that were active at the time. Perhaps it’s time for the community to organize to become the features they want to see.

1 Like

I am not sure how a location token to a store really helps.

I want to buy item x and find a store on another planet that has it for a decent price. I use the portals to get to the planet and then I come out on the proper planet and find that the location is on the other side of the planet. So do I trek across the planet? Try to find another portal that might get me closer? or pack it up and go back home?

1 Like

Location token gives you the location on your places list and just warp there

1 Like

So I spend coin to warp and then coin to buy what I want. It does eliminate the need to walk.

1 Like

Well I’m still in the boat with the devs that FF was never the tap nor will it ever be. I’ve also walked across a planet to get some where avoiding everyone’s builds as well except my main network that got me to the planet

Well, it is still a tap… even if only a dripping one.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if it gets “adjusted” again. People need to stop relying on it

Make the auction house a multiblock structure that can be linked to a large number of shop stands. Anything linked gets entered into the AH. Have permissions so that friends, guildies, associates, etc can sell on your AG. Allow the owner to set % fee to use the network, so that guild or mall owners can get a cut from the sales.

3 Likes

Well, this would work really well if we have an in-game map. What we have is an atlas and I personally don’t like to remind myself to bring one or organize my inventory just to bring all atlases so I could shop without restriction.

Perhaps a signal receiver would do better, where you can wear a tool to highlight all signal beacons. Signal beacon can be shown in a UI like in Astroneer, with a line leading from the beacon up to the sky, ended with an icon. The closer you get to the any signal beacon, the close the icon will touch the beacon. Player can assigned icons to the beacon to show if it’s a shop, monuments, hotspot, etc. Although, you will need to add a filter option to the tool.

You can also add a function where you can aim for an icon and it will display a title and description just like a sign module. May be this is the part where it can show all shop stand and basket in the plot. Of course, you also need a function to highlight an icon so it work like a destination marker.

That being said, I don’t think everyone will agree that it could be of any convenience. You could also have a signal beacon polution where people would just put up a beacon, or many beacon enough to rendered them useless. Perhaps some soft of branching of the lines could help or limit one signal beacon per plot? I don’t know. Amazing art by the way :smiley: Those signal beacon looks nice as a decorated tombstone!

1 Like

Sorry…while i understand your thoughts on this… it would effectively negate the need for people to travel… so in this case I say Please NO AUCTION HOUSE!

2 Likes

I like this idea. Make it a network that allows players to link to it. Maybe linking to a network allows you to build a multi block structure of your own that links to the network so that location cant be monopolized as prime location to build. Buying from this network gives u a location token with a free warp to the shop you purchased from. Make everything only accessible from same planet.

Multiple good ideas have been posted, why dont you read some first? Most even want to Keep the Hours of wandering around in so People get there precious FF.

3 Likes

Players have to travel to mine for gems, to hunt, to visit exo’s, and sometimes just to look around so an Auction House does not eliminate the need to travel.

1 Like

I don’t like searching for 4-6 hours for a shop that I don’t normally go to in order to sell my mined up materials so I can go buy forged hammers from places like AluTech and Golden Fist to just go mine for another couple hours.

Sorry, I don’t have that kind of time during my week to burn on pointless dumb running around. I seriously doubt you do this kind of stuff in real life and call it “fun” when you’ve got a household you probably run, family to spend time with, meals to cook and prep, work to go to, possibly school classes and work that needs to be done, and probably a whole plethora of other stuff that requires your attention and time.

In retrospect, it’s the same thing for players in Boundless. If I have to spend 4 to 6 hours to maybe find an active shop with a good request basket price and not have the time during that day off from work and all sorts of other responsibilities, then I probably won’t play the game as much. It means I won’t have as much time to build on that project I want to finish or even start another one because I have less time during the week. It also means I will log on less to even play in general because I know that it will be difficult to sell the stuff I found to a shop that’s active enough with a good enough price.

If I want to go out and explore in this game I will and I should on my own terms. And another thing, traveling is the number one thing any player in this game does. You can’t avoid it.

5 Likes