Crafting Professions

Be different ^^

6 Likes

this! Exactly what I was thinking!

3 Likes

In my mind it shouldn’t be set professions at beginning of game but should be everyone can craft everything but they will have to start to train their own professions and forge their own character.

Runescape was a amazing game for this.

In my mind it should go along the lines of the runescapes professions, you have all your main combat styles like range, magic, strength, attack, defence etc, to wear certain range armours you need 60 rng and 60 str which pushes you to gain it also it takes a while, there is also all the individual skills like fletching (bows, arrows, projectiles etc) smithing (metal items), agility skill which in this game could determine the speed, jump height of characters, constitution basically could be determined by how hard creatures you fight, the more u fight the higher it’ll get meaning you can withstand more damage,

There is also crafting as a skill which is more of a ranged armour and could also be for creating props.

mining skill which could determine your yield you get from mining maybe chance of triple ores aswell as speed of mining also would determine based on your mining level what type of pickaxe you could use.

Fishing skill, depending on your skill level it will determine what you can catch and what methods you can use, fly fish, bait fish, harpooning etc.

Cooking skill, this would allow players to cook food and depending on skill level will decide the burn chance along with what they can cook along with where can they cook it, starting off on a campfire and would head to a oortian rare grand stove of some sort.

There is also a farming skill, which can determine what quality and what type of crop you can grow, and the yield you would gain.

@ben pm me and ill pm you more and a more detailed version once I get my pc on Friday.

2 Likes

I like this for creating a more sandboxed version of progression and character creation/specialization. It’s a good system for allowing everyone to try all aspects, without being limited by choosing a combat class at the start like many MMORPGS. See my above post about different manuals/books

The bad aspect of this is what I remember from runescape that advancing these skills past the first few levels takes a long time whilst offering limited change in how you craft as you progress higher up the tiers. Where this system falls down is that for iron and rune the crafting stages and process never changed, all that changed is the your skill rank. I think it would be better if instead of a rank based system you have an equipment based system. You can only find better ores on higher tier worlds, or higher tier ores are more frequent on higher worlds maybe? This works with the gameplay tier loop. Also equipment quality changes, so you need better tools and stations to work better materials. It’s progression without level grinding.

1 Like

Not saying this is my argument exactly, but people will likely complain that this allows individuals to skip all progression if they can afford to buy the best gear, which I believe someone above mentioned.

3 Likes

@Kerpie you seem to forget that, unlike runescape, Oort is only partly an MMO so a full on MMO crafting system like the one that runescape uses would be way over the top.

I´d like to revive @DarkRepulsor s thread about his skill slot system idea.
Especially point three of his post where he describes how you would perk your professions (with the mining profession as example).
I´ll just assume that you have read the tread by now
Everyone could start with every profession on skill level {1} and the basic recipes so you are perfectly able to supply yourself. However if you have focused on lets say alchemy on your journey through the tiers and you now want an exceptionally good armor for the materials you gathered you would have too look for someone (probably a friend or guild member) that has focused on the development of his blacksmithing skill and is able to make something better out of the given materials as you as unskilled blacksmith could.
And now assume that said blacksmith collected a lot of flowers/herbs on his last journey through the world. Although he could make potions by himself he knows that you are a skilled alchemist and are therefore able to make more/better potions out of the same materials…BAM trading and economy is born.

The skilltree/perks could be kept as simple as @DarkRepulsor s graphic shows, altough I´d like to see special crafting stations as last perk of each professions skilltree.
I think something like this could make every faction happy:

• Player that want to play completly solo can craft everything and have also the abillity to craft everything perfectly if they have enough time on their hands
  • Players (like me) that love to not only develop their character but also their crafting professions would be satisfied (or at least more satisfied as with no professions system at all)
  • The developers would “just” have to add some perks and a progressions system (I know still a lot of work) but something like this should be on the line with “progession I” anyway as it says on your homepage: Gain mastery with your weapons and tools and become a better fighter or crafter.
3 Likes

How is runescapes mmo crafting system over the top

1 Like

Since when is Oort only partly a mmo? ._. And I don’t think this crafting system is over the top :lester:

1 Like

Runescapes in my mind is simple compared to wow and elderscrolls online to get use to it it didn’t take me long, and @vastar “Oort online is a multiplayer rpg” set in a sandbox universe

1 Like

Planet side 2 is a mmo, rpg is a category and is the one which includes skills and crafting

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/crafting-professions/2018/6?u=vastar

@Kerpie yeah sorry I had the everquest crafting system in mind, sorry I switched that up

1 Like

it’s partly a mmo>RPG< :slight_smile: but it’s a “full” mmo :stuck_out_tongue: It doesn’t have singleplayer or something and it’s always :oort:nline :lester:

I know I´m just used to shorten MMORPG to MMO.

I think it’s the other way round.

Scroll up to see

Applying MMO to Sandbox rather than a sandbox MMO. It’s different in the way you approach developing the game.

2 Likes

im listening to the video on there site.

Ahh but in either system there will always be the ability to put the best gear up for sale in a player driven economy, and my point was that whether or not you have level based crafting or a different system that i’ve alluded to, the crafter can always sell his top creation to someone who never crafts.

My two cents:

To achieve a good balance, you have to draw from the simple strengths of both. I will always vote against complex MMORPG features, like crafting professions, for that reason. Would that be an awesome feature for an MMORPG? Heck yes! Is it the “right” direction for Oort? No.

Strengths of Voxel Sandboxes

• Simple crafting
  • Build anything you want
  • Private and modded servers for extending gameplay experience

Strengths of MMORPGs

• Character building and progression
  • Epic PvE/PvP
  • Social aspects like parties and guilds

Obviously that’s an oversimplified list, but the point is that you can’t have a dozen features from one and only three from the other. And you can’t have contradicting features. It has to be a balance.

Edit

A reminder that any feature the devs say "no" to for the main game, can and probably will be added to a modded server after launch.
7 Likes

That system Is elegant for combat, magic and to some extent mining, where progression is linear, the more you fight the better you get at it.

For crafting I would suggest something different as the number of different professions possible will require so many skill trees and crafting isn’t really linear. Being able to craft wooden items doesn’t slowly make it possible to craft iron, such that when you attain level 2 you can suddenly craft iron. Whereas a sword is a sword, changing material and shape doesn’t affect your ability to swing it at least not in anyway current MMOs can represent, levels of for example onehanded skill reflect your slow increase in onehanded proficiency. What i’m saying is that crafting systems based on ranks and repetition limit Oort and don’t actually make sense for voxel sandboxes.

@ben I’m totally up for outlining this properly in a full system, however i think it’s best to wait to see to what the dev team’s view for crafting is.

I would, for crafting at least, have tool based, resource based, station based, crafting which rely on having the right tools and knowhow for the job and the right resources. I think this has many advantages over MMO style crafting. It will coincide with your exploration of the world, your discovery of it, and will be excellent for those who want to take part in the economy of the game

Pretty close, but there are multiple clashes within it. i will come back tommorow so people have a nice time to discuss and im gonna pick it all up in another one of my ‘‘cold and ruthless rants’’

@olihax prepare for the worst from me, i have a habit of not being the most delicate so you have been warned, can you try to sum up better what you want to see in crafting? because it seems to me that you are jumbling around in multiple systems, saying that progress is bad but yet mentioning.

Try to keep in mind that what you mentioned as ‘‘sandbox crafting’’ is not sandbox crafting, but rather survival crafting, big difference. to see what i mean try to check up ‘‘Star Wars Galaxies’’ and ‘‘The Repopulation’’ both hardcore sandbox mmo’s with the most complicated crafting system you will ever come across, there are more such as Mortal online or whatever.

But yeah, try to flesh it out, will make it easier for me to get an overview of what you would like to see and it would make it easier for me to argue for or against, and try to keep in mind, you say you dont want mmo style things cause its ‘‘limiting’’ please. try to think on what precisely you mean with that, what limits do you think there should and shouldnt be? would you enjoy a game where you start at max level, being able to instakill everything (cause of no progression) and being able to craft every item in the game even if they wouldnt matter?

Well this is just a fair warning from my side, there are some pretty good ideas and arguments in this discussion that i will try to pick up on, sorry that i sound like a prick as always, kinda happens, but say if there are anything specific you would like me to consider in the rant to come :smile:

Night from Denmark, Heading off now.

2 Likes

I don’t say progress is bad, I have said I advocate it. What I am against is level grinding and exp based crafting, so that what defines a crafter is the level he is at, rather than the resources/tools/stations the crafter is using. You can have progression without Lvl1-100 systems. In fact they are definitely more rewarding, you do not need a level to define your progression. I feel that levelling and exp based systems lead to a culture of attaining ranks, and crafting system based around improving your weapons and armour and hence combat, a crafting for combat system which turns Oort into a pure MMO, when I read the frontpage for Oort, I see no mention of ranks, being the best player, the best crafter, best fighter etc, all these impressions come with levelling and exp. Oort is a sandbox game first and hence we should have a crafting system that reflects this.

When I mention sandbox crafting I don’t think I have implied to ‘survival crafting’ whatever that is, is it where the crafting system is based around gathering food and water etc? If so i think it could be a decent feature. However this is not what I am arguing.

This definitely illustrates that you don’t understand what I’m arguing for. This is focussing on crafting, and levels and exp work for combat skills they reflect the linear progression that is combat, crafting is not linear in it’s progression. I would support a system that has progression but is not based on your ability to repeat the same recipes over and over to unlock new recipes, e.g MMO systems of Lvl5 is wood, Lvl 10 is Iron etc etc. You don’t need defined professions levels etc, you don’t need exp, it’s sandbox.

By limiting I mean that crafting would become about getting to the top rank by repeating the same monotonous recipe, to get the best weapons/armour and money rather than about everything else, decorating, more ornate blocks, survival, farming, gardening(?), mining, processing, trade etc etc. If the former is what you want then there are multitudes of games out there which do it.

I think Oort is a great opportunity to implement a good Sandbox MMO crafting system which reflects what oort is about, exploration, discovery, community, building and creature/titan encounters; and beneath that a rich lore.

See this also:

I would enjoy outlining what I would hope for, but I think will be a waste of time until we know more about the Dev team’s vision for this system, do I even need to make one. I hesitate to do so because it would very presumptuous at this stage.

Rant if you must but i’m just trying to present a different side, an alternative.