Crash after going through portal (live server b6d0c308)

Hi Devs,

I cannot leave sanctum anymore as the game crashes the moment I step through a portal.
Tried both portals from sanctum, tried bumping to save location. All result in a game crash when going through the portal.

Windows event viewer then always shows:
Faulting application name: boundless.exe, version: 0.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x595a2113
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23807, time stamp: 0x5915fdce
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000bf3e2
Faulting process id: 0x8cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2f86bbe53efe1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Boundless\boundless.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 37640c08-645f-11e7-b106-6805ca045936

The \AppData\Local\Turbulenz\Boundless\boundless_log shows:
ERROR 4001: Illegal protocol message.

I tried reinstalling the game completely but that did not fix it either.
Then tried the test server and for some reason the test server I can play on.

I read in the realease notes of the 168 version on the test server the following:

• [new] Illegal protocol message sometimes appears after going through a portal. *
    But strangely enough I am NOT having this problem on the test server but on the live server.
    Also it says “Illegal protocol message sometimes appears”, well, this is not sometimes, this is constant crash.

Is there anything I can do ?

1 Like

lucky guess! was going to ask which server, but thought I’d take a look first and found you first time in the server logs being kicked for the illegal protocol message.

Unfortunately… I cannot see any reason why you could possibly be being kicked here to give you a quick solution, somehow your client is sending a truncated message to the server and you’re being kicked in the low-level protocol parsing due to there not being enough data sent… which is seriously weird.

2 Likes

Reinstalling the game did not help.

I remember trading with Cloud-strife where he sold ref.rock to me and while that happened I crashed.

Then after that we made several trades where I put the ref.rock into my storage. Then moving the storage to another location and BAM, there it happened. Could it be that some stack of ref.rock in my inventory got corrupted or something ?

1 Like

Let me install on a different PC first. And test again.

1 Like

Well, guess what. On another PC (different client), the exact same thing happened. Crashes when going through a portal.

So it must be something with my game character stored on the server ?

1 Like

Aren’t you the only level 50?

Unique level and unique crashing issue. They could be connected? Especially considering the values were all messed up when you hit 50?

1 Like

Yeah, but those numbers were related to a bug that they could actually trace server side. The Devs did contact me about that.

This is a totally different (lower level) error. The client should always sent out a correct amount of packages and for some reason on the end of the server it does not receive enough data to process. If client and server are not synced correctly that way the client should crash (not the server), and in this case the client does crash.

Weird is that on a second PC it also happens, so it is not related to my gaming PC.
Also, playing on the test server works fine.

So the only difference I can think of is that it is related to my character profile data on the server.

3 Likes

You have overplayed your welcome :grin::grin::grin:

On a serious side, I’m sorry that you got such troublesome issue. I hope devs will trace it soon enough.

1 Like

Yes sorry your locked out of the live version at the moment. It looks like your character data is exposing a bug but needs to be investigated to see the exact cause is.

If you fancied a changed of scenery in the short term you should be able to play on Testing as it a separate universe but obviously not ideal.

5 Likes

No problem michaelb.

Take your time. Better find out all issues now :slight_smile:

If you want me to test something, just let me know !

(we are all testers after all)

4 Likes

A few shots in the dark you might try:

1. Try disabling your anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. One of your packets might be triggering a false signature.

2. Try opening a warp to another planet. If its destination bound (or server specific) this might just help.

3. Try moving stuff around in your inventory before opening a portal and see if that helps.

Not much else that you have control over.

1 Like

Thx, but did all that already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another list of possible solutions, if you manage to get in that is, that will hopefully stop it from happening again;

If that doesn’t work, you can also try giving him all your coins.

1 Like

I can only play in my sanctum.

You know what @Pseudonym84, join me at my sanctum and I give you my entire inventory :slight_smile:

Waiting for you. lol

4 Likes

We do have a fix for this and should be on Testing tomorrow. We will have chat tomorrow about how to get this out to live, whether with the rest on Testing or as a hot fix.

5 Likes

Thx @michaelb, that is good news.

2 Likes
5 Likes

The fix is on Testing and we should be rolling that over to live tomorrow morning, along with the other changes.

3 Likes

Perfect. Thanks for keeping me informed ! :grinning:

Live is updated.

5 Likes