Crazy Fog [resolved]

Is it just me, or is there fog on Vulpto for the past few days, and to an absurd thickness where if I even THINK about trying to use a sapphire torch my visibility is reduced to about 1-2 blocks?

Even if the fog is supposed to be THAT extreme, should there really be fog in underground caves? :\

2 Likes

In Video Settings turning off Volumetric Fog made this much better for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

iirc this is fixed in the test version.

6 Likes

This is greatly appreciated ^^.

1 Like

After playing on Vulpto the past 24 hours on the test version, I can say that the fog can still get pretty bad, even with volumetric fog turned off. But that’s why it’s a “dangerous planet” after all :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s not a terribly good excuse, considering it’s also a dangerous planet because of both the creature types, levels and densities, as well as the insane verticality of the terrain and the blinding brightness of the sunlight.

I say it’s not a good excuse because you could apply it to literally any difficulty, no matter how ridiculous. There’s a point where you can’t see 3 blocks in any direction, and there are areas no one could possibly survive no matter how many of them there are and what equipment they are carrying. You get a 3-4 cuttletrunks grouped up in non-navigable terrain (think some of the skinny “sky roads” on Nasharil) with fog that makes it impossible to see them, and 10/10 people, even all in a group, will die trying to get past them, all but guaranteed (barring incredible blind luck), every single time.

Really, you can keep piling up more and more difficulties and saying “that’s why it’s a dangerous planet” for each one of them, but there’s a point where it becomes both unreasonable and frustrating to even attempt (and I’m not speaking from a “scrub” mentality here. I’ll adapt in every way the game will allow).

Having spent a few hours today on this planet I faced no difficulty. If a fog storm rolls in and creatures are nearby either dive into a nearby pond or cave (of which there are many) or dig down and wait the storm out.[quote=“AzureHelios, post:7, topic:7680”]
You get a 3-4 cuttletrunks grouped up in non-navigable terrain (think some of the skinny “sky roads” on Nasharil) with fog that makes it impossible to see them, and 10/10 people, even all in a group, will die trying to get past them, all but guaranteed (barring incredible blind luck), every single time.
[/quote]

This has yet to happen to me, so uh, I guess I’m the lucky exception! And when saying 10/10 or every single time, remember: only a sith deals in absolutes! There’s no such thing as non-navigable terrain with the jump height and air jump abilities unlocked and a handy iron grappling hook to have and to hold til death do you part. Every creature on the planet dies in 3 hits with a stone slingbow. Maybe it’s more challenging on the live servers? But it’s kind of a joke on the test server tbh.

1 Like

The Vulpto fog is a known issue on the live servers. It does bloom insanely bright, even at low depths, which is not the way it was intended to appear.

It should be resolved on the test version.

3 Likes

I’m not saying it’s something that’s happened. I’m highlighting that “that’s why it’s a difficult planet” is a terrible and pointless “point” to espouse.

I’ve seen people say that about a bunch of things. If they just said it about one thing that’d be one thing, but it’s a totally unorganized shotgun spray, so it’s totally pointless.

Very nice, thanks.

First time I’ve read this thread. First thing I thought is why is this thread about this:

Then I remembered Vulpto

3 Likes

So you’d be happier if a tier 2 world was EXACTLY a tier 1 world with only 1 thing changed? Weather, geography, and creatures are combined into the difficulty. That’s not an unorganized shotgun spray, it’s a whole new world. I think only changing one thing would be boring, I’m glad they’ve put more than one challenge into it.

I didn’t say that, Clexarews. Stop trying to twist what I’m saying.

What I’m saying is, your excuse/explanation of “that’s why it’s a difficult planet” is logically unsound if people use it for different things, which they certainly do. The reason that it IS logically unsound is because it can be applied to literally anything, no matter how absurd, unintended, or bugged (whether it ought to be or not, even after the devs have stated that the thing you’re applying it to is unintended, etc.). It has no connection whatsoever to what is reasonable or not.

I’ve tried to say this three different ways now. If you still insist in not understanding, there’s really no more purpose to be had in me trying to communicate it to you.

Edit: I mean, I get it, really. Some people want any given game to be crazy difficult. Heck, I have Skyrim modded to the point (difficulty increasing/AI-buffing/capability expanding/script smoothing) where dying 50-100+ times in a single fight with a dragon is not uncommon before I hit level 60+ (When the dragons are summoning dual draugur deathlords on you while spamming Unrelenting Force, and those are the easy dragons without drain auras for example). I’ve played all the Souls games, etc. That being said, Boundless clearly is not that type of game, nor, I suspect, do most people want it to be.

I’ve laid out about five other reasons why Vulpto is more difficult than a starter world (in a previous post). Where do you get off pulling the strawman of “So you’d be happier if a tier 2 world was EXACTLY a tier 1 world with only 1 thing changed”?

Anyway, I think this thread is effectively done. The devs have already responded.

I renamed the topic for you. Should reduce the amount of comments

1 Like

I was thinking you were insinuating here that you’d prefer if folks talked about a single “thing”. Since we’re talking about the difference between worlds and what makes one more difficulty I took that to mean you would prefer if folks talked about a single factor of difficulty. If there’s only a single factor of difficulty being discussed, all other factors between the two worlds should be held constant. /shrug.

If you want logic, try this.

Planet S has nice fields, flat forests, and short mountains. Planet V has deep crags. Which planet’s environment is more likely to kill you should you slip?

Planet S has nice creatures that are mostly passive. Planet V has creatures that will blow up on you or shoot you should you get too close. Which planet’s creatures are more likely to kill you?

Planet S is crystal clear, even at night. Everything is easy to see (at least above ground). Planet V has blinding fog storms fairly frequently that make vision above ground a mess. Which planet’s weather is more likely to kill you?

You’re the one who turned my argument of “that’s why it’s a difficult planet” into something that OTHERS are using. I’m using it because of the logic above. You’re smart enough to know the way in which I’m intending to use it but instead you feel like making a ruckus about how I’m the one who wants to cause problems :joy:. AzureHelios, I understand what you’re saying. The least you can do now is say you understand (and have understood) what I was saying :upside_down:

Discourse allows you to link to other threads in your posts. It’s a useful ability when trying to reference outside information.

It’s a known fact that vulpto’s fog is broken. Whether or not that is a viable way to raise difficulty is a moot point. There are presently several strategies to survive these conditions, and a few settlements have been established in spite of the planet’s unique flaws. Know that the fog bloom is scheduled to be fixed, and that this planet is intended to be a highly hostile environment. Beyond that, it’s not worth the energy arguing about.

5 Likes