CRAZY IDEA : Crafting time & solutions

wow, this is a great idea!!!

I can totally see me running a research lab :heart:

Gotta admit, I like all four of these, and I could see myself experimenting with each. :o

1 Like

While I like the sentiment, all these do is increase complexity and help those of us who already have the ability to simply add more fully coiled machines. It doesn’t really address the base problem people bringing up crafting times are pointing out. Long crafting times hurt the casual playing experience and turn people off of the game. No matter how many hours we put in, we don’t make the game more populated without making the game more appealing to a wider audience.

I’m with many of you in that the game scratches my creative itch. I have drank so much of the kool-aid I would spin my character around three times to help dry out bricks before cooking if it was required. However, complexity for complexity’s sake doesn’t fix the base issues.

2 Likes

Lol. I hadn’t even though of getting a bunch of people to bash the machine at the same time. That could be hilarious to watch.

2 Likes

To me, when a new item requires something which in itself requires a chain of 5 other things to craft is “complexity for complexity’s sake”.

Allowing the player to customize his machine in order to make it behave differently doesn’t compare to that.

Like, if that’s complexity for complexity’s sake, then I guess you’re basically advocating for just a plain and simple reduction of most crafting times, right?

Very much so. Progression in building materials is fairly simple and common. Creating a bunch of extra components that become a requirement to enjoy the game has already killed off half the playerbase in EA once. Coils themselves nearly halved the population of boundless in EA. My entire planet stopped playing.

2 Likes

If you say so. :neutral_face:

Someone who stops playing the game generally has a good reason for doing so, but I’d still find it very one-dimensional if there was no way to upgrade machines, though.

I’m still 100% sure that I would have fun finding combinations of machine modules in my workshop.

Might be another case of “agree to disagree”.

I adjusted my poll response to reflect this input.

If it’s not connected to character advancement and versions of this thread have been popping up since 2016 it might be time to drop them and see if it aids retention.

Coils reduce time on a curve based on the amount of power the recipe requires, so the number of coils required before the reduction stops being significant varies per recipe.

I think this occurs around the point where you’ve doubled the required power for the recipe. I believe it was @Simoyd that published some pretty detailed information on this but I’m not interested in digging that deep into the forum history today.

If you’re crafting a lot of high power recipes at least 20 coils should be useful.

2 Likes
  • +40% craft time reduction, +100% increased spark cost.
  • -60% spark cost, +25% craft time increase.
  • -50% wear accumulated, +40% spark cost.
  • +1000 durability per power coil, +2000 per advanced power coil.

These are just 2 minute examples. Etc. Etc.

1 Like

Yes but those reasons are outdated and perhaps it’s time to update timers not saying remove just drastically shorten timers for something and reduce for others. Some people like to play linear and that should be okay but currently it’s not because we have to watch the paint dry at every intersection. It’s in the title itself boundless it shouldn’t be restricted to only one type of play.

It wasn’t part of the original suggestion, but I believe I already suggested that elsewhere, and I would still support it today :
Step 1 : Add a special kind of “crafting time boost” fuel slot in every crafting station.
Step 2 : Sell some kind of item in the exchange that you could put into that “crafting time boost” slot to reduce crafting times. It would be a fuel, but like one craft per item.
Step 3 : Put different kind of these items, like a cheaper one that reduces crafting times by 20%, or a super expensive one that makes your next craft instant. These items could be put into stacks so you can chain several crafts.
Step 4 : Profits! No paywall, people can buy them with cubits. No need to rebalance anything if it’s an issue, people who like to play linearly can have their fun, the others will just spend their overflowing amounts of cubits.

Look, I can already smell that dirt-poor/stingy players are gonna read this and go “over my dead body!”, but the fact is that the game needs money, so James is gonna have to figure out ways to make more money with Boundless.

1 Like