Day jobs and studies

Is this a real thing or a joke?

1 Like

If this was a competition, I am pleased to announce the clear winner. Really awesome dude!!!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot ā€¦ Seems that Iā€™m one of the few here in the forum who do not work on computers or science ;D

1 Like

I work with Elves. Crazy little uncontrollable critters.

8 Likes

Well i am an architecture student :smiley: nearly finished. Being an architect reaaaaaalllllly helps with planing houses or in my case a whole fortress with town in games like Oort :smiley:

5 Likes

I am a Project Manager with a background in Computer Science/Geography (GIS)

2 Likes

Non destructive inspection

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious how one led to the other.

2 Likes

Iā€™m studying digital design, with an emphasis in animation. This semester Iā€™ve been doing a lot of sculpture and 3D modeling.

2 Likes

3D huh? Got anything you are proud of? Iā€™m very interested in 3D arts.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a portfolio website here: amandaelliott.net. Itā€™s a work in progress, but you can see some of my work there.

The project Iā€™m working on right now is a 3D self-portrait. Hereā€™s a screenshot of my progress so far:

Itā€™s actually two separate pieces right now, which explains the odd line down the middle of the face.

4 Likes

I checked out your site, are you still doing 2d animations? You should try and go crazy sometime and make a 2 min animation. Keep up the good work and remember to play around a lot.

3 Likes

I would love to make an animation lasting longer than a minute, but that would take forever, depending on the style. Itā€™s taking my group of five art students a month just to make a 30-second long 2D animation for a class project. :persevere:
I think that making really short animations to practice different techniques is a better idea. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My professor made the mistake of tasking us with contacting local studios and inquiring about things like hours, wages, and prerequisites. I got curious and compared those findings with a handful of jobs that require no degrees. Turns out butchers in Texas average much higher salaries than what graphics studios pay (unless i moved 500 miles To Austin.) I decided to start as part time to pay for college. Eventually, I decided I preferred working with my hands over working at a computer, so I went full time. Now I manage my own department which leaves me loads of time for gaming and pays better than the career I studied for. Saved tens of tousands in college tuition, too. 10/10 would recommend as a career.

5 Likes

I know animation takes ages, but while I see you are practicingā€¦ Iā€™ll say finesse, you should just make something no matter how terrible it looks and just make a flowing 2 min story. It would be a good way to practice more dynamic animations.

3 Likes

You make a good point. I have a tendency towards perfectionism, and often donā€™t attempt projects because I know I canā€™t ā€œperfectā€ them, unless itā€™s for class, in which case I donā€™t have much choice. But, ā€œpractice makes perfect,ā€ as they say.

2 Likes

I work in law enforcement in the US.

3 Likes

Well actualy thats an Thing. Iā€™m studying at home cause Germany doesnt have any Oortish schools right now. I belive theyā€™ll came in the next few year, but Iā€™ll be done then sadlyā€¦ Anyway.
Currently Iā€™m learning the Religion History and how the Worlds have been build. For that Matter Iā€™m becoming God myself by creating another World to bump it into the Universe.

@james
Oh really? Because you cal them tiny I guess you mean elves like Santas little Helpers right? Not something like Woodelves.

1 Like

I am taking a HTX (HĆøjere teknisk examen, or in english: Higher technical exam) a highschool-ish education with focus on entrepreneurship and science.

2 Likes

I have a bachelor in industrial chemistry I never did anything with.
After that I went for a bachelor social work in which I worked most my career and during I did my master for psycho analyst.
My field of expertise was Autism.
I donā€™t work any more so I am now a over qualified housewife with two teenagers :smiley:

4 Likes