Debug info - in Cave or not in cave

I usually play with no sounds, and even though I turned it up I’m not hearing wind or anything. I hear birds though. In cave or out.

1 block over:

The sounds/music didn’t change in this spot. If i move around though the values displayed here change. Here I’m technically in excavated space, and could be standing in what’s mapped as a cave. The “underground” value doesn’t make any sense I can see.

I may have to try without sounds but I really enjoy the sounds in this game. I have music off though but mostly because when I record, I don’t want to mute the entire clip.

I think the underground value only tells you how many naturally placed blocks are above you. My storage area is at the foot of a mountain and for the first 20 ish block I move inwards, the value rises to what I believe is the amount of blocks above my head. But I could be wrong since my testing is based on 30 minutes at 3am in the night…

But the in cave 1/0 I can’t figure out. It also changes based on elevation, so thay if I stand on the floor, it’s 1 (inside cave) but if I then jump or stand on another prop, it goes to 0, even though I am basically in the same spot. It’s peculiar.

I fear there is nothing you can do to fix this.

In cave is a value that is set by world generation. Easiest way to confirm this is to go into a natural cave. There you mine out 2 blocks and go into the mined hole. It will be In cave: 0 . Best to take full blocks as I am not sure if there are edge cases with chiseled blocks.
This shows that the value does not change even though your mined blocks are practically still the same cave.

Another test is to mine away the ceiling of a cave. Even when it is completely gone you are still In cave: 1

The underground value shows how far vertically you are from the original surface block. That is the block the sun was shining on when the world was generated. It is helpful when excavating mountains for a base.
Exception here is that when standing in a cave there is some sort of offset subtracted or another calculation going on. This case I never figured out.

All this is based on personal tests 2 years ago which should be still valid as there were no updates.

Standing on a block with no block above, game thinks I am in a cave. But the area where the rooms are in my castle, there have been no blocks UNLESS there was a tree there and that counts as “cave 1”. Let me go check.

Edit: it does not count as a cave to stand underneat leaves/trees.
Also:

This is definitely above ground, but maybe there was a cave underneat?

Edit 2: It is caused by surface caves underneat the castle… I am like 50 blocks up in the air on a tower build above a cave.

But, out here it still plays the wind sound, not cave sound? What is deciding which sound it’s playing then? :smiley:

Anyone know it’s possible to remove sound files from local folder? I tried looking for sounds but couldn’t find anything else than music…

That is the only solution I can think of without turning off sounds completely.

They appear to be bundled in .wem files. You might be able to modify the JSON here

Inside that JSON file there are many references to cave wind. You could try pointing those references at something other than the sound that annoys you but may take some testing to get it correct for you.

I am sure there are also ways to edit the .wem files, but that is out of my area of knowledge.

1 Like

Goddang that is a lot of sounds!

I guess it’s the cave one as well as this one

What do you think would happen if I remove both of those? I am way out of my comfort zone even opening this file lol

i saw many cave ones in my quick glance in the file.

I generally don’t remove things from JSONs… it may be ok, but it always worries me. I usually just modify them to point them to something else, i.e. whatever the sound file is for your area when you are not in the “cave” spots that way its seamless instead of going silent.

Edit: you can always make a backup copy of that file before modifying it, and then you can just replace it with the original if things go wrong.

1 Like

Gotcha, yeah I need to find the correct wind anyway, there’s lots of those in the file >.>

Wish sound settings had more options than just music and the rest.

Edit: Yeah, some things I just can’t fix myself. I have no idea which sound file it is and would have to brute force my way through every sound clip by logging in and out repeatedly…

another option might be here

Could try changing these both to 0.0 which “might” kill all wind sounds… but not sure… just might be worth trying.

Nope, still windy :smiley:

Appreciate the help btw!

1 Like

happy to help. I play with the sound off personally so I am not testing theories, I have just dug around in the game files a lot for other stuff so semi familiar with where things are located.

1 Like

I wonder if it is a biome thing. If I go to higher altitudes at other areas, I hear bird sounds and what not. But if I am in between the mountains at my place, I hear the wind.

1 Like

Could be, would take some playing to get it the way you want it (if possible).

And since you seem to be new at this type of modding, should also mention that there are lots of JSON attributes around in the files that appear to be able to be changed, but in reality they are server side and not client side so changing them actually has no effect on the live game (that should be different for privately hosted planets later though I think).

Also, if you do mod a file in a way that you like the result, make sure you make a backup of that modded file because a game update (or going to test server and back) may overwrite your modded file with the original one so instead of recreating it, having a modded file backed up so you can just replace it again to get your mod back is much easier.

2 Likes

Yeah, no I know, always make copies or take screenies.

But I don’t think I can figure this out on my own, seems like I chose a bad spot to build in where it’s constantly snowing and windy…

Would be nice if debug also showed what sounds are being played, that would make it a whole lot easier…

1 Like

I hate the snow =) … I never leave home without a clear weather totem in my off hand anymore =)

Yeah I got the snow part sorted, but I guess the sound effects are still there :smiley:

Maybe @james (if you are still around) is able to give some clarity on this one?

1 Like

I can play around in the file later today and see what happens.

1 Like

Appreciate it but if you can’t figure it out, don’t put too much effort in to it! Maybe James sees this and gives us an answer on how it works. :man_shrugging:

You don’t happen to know if I can download a program that play out the sound without having to open game to check? The SFX sounds that is

1 Like