Dedicated Melee Weapons

Hey everyone, so Im pretty new here, only been playing a week so far. Im absolutely infatuated with this game, and thats saying something since i have never once played a minute of minecraft.

anyways, me being new i might just not know everything about the games combat systems and equipment but it just blows my mind that we dont have dedicated melee weapons like swords, spears, daggers, etc…

i understand we have hammers, axes, shovels, and totems. Maybe someone could shed some light on any subjects before this thread that has been discussed about weapons or upcoming combat patches?

4 Likes

Actually, please bring this one up again. Its about that time…

We’ve been treading and retreading this ground for awhile now, unfortunately.

There was supposed to be a melee weapon, the Lance, released once upon a time long ago. The devs have not said a word about it in a long dang time now, however, leaving us to assume the concept is scrapped. Please devs, feel free to step in and correct me if I’m wrong but…

Anyhow. I agree with you - why the heck don’t we have a melee weapon? And the answer, in part, is that boundless’s combat mechanics are really janky, and fighting something at close range really doesn’t work… wildstock, roadrunners, hoppers, and cuttletrunks each have significant problems if you’re a melee

This however is a CRAPPY reason not to introduce melee weapons. The devs should instead improve combat mechanics to not be janky, and enemies should be adjusted to make melee viable. I hope they eventually hear this :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m sure they have seen you mention it multiple times, but probably aren’t in a position to comment on it either way at the moment.

The lance did have some issues with regards to aerial targets in that it just didn’t work (or look) as well as expected/envisioned. I’m sure at some point, when more creature types are introduced, it would be a more opportune time to look into additional weaponry at the same time. Especially with creatures like the ground basher.

1 Like

I hear all that, im just saying there are more creatures on land than there are in the air. which is a mute point since we have the sling bow. just for now though i thought it might be cool to introduce at least a sword, or lance like yall have talked about, and heck even maybe a shield to go along with it. just food for thought

2 Likes

A lot of the content and features they have on the roadmap (like Lance) was put aside because of various reasons and changing priorities. They have fully working components and some things still on paper… It is just safer to assume that they will come at some point versus just assuming that they were scrapped completely.

1 Like

Oh man, I love to use melee weapons!

I think one of my 1st achievements was “spray & pray”(Odd since I wasn’t shooting anything, meh) because I would run around and attack spitters and hoppers with my hammer lol

If I had a melee weapon, I would grapple Cuttletrunks and then slash/stab/smash them. I’d also move a few skill points so I could double-jump.

Maybe they will add some in the future for sandworms, plants that attack, fish, etc :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Whos game of “Who’s that Pokémon” is this? That being said… this would be truly awesome!

3 Likes

We always need more monsters :grimacing:

2 Likes

And they look so cool!

1 Like

I think i saw the Lance development picture or artwork before.
It was range weapon, and then i guess it becomes the fist now.

Personally I wish we can have melee weapon in game too, which can create more combat element and team work during the hunting event.

1 Like

Yeah probably just waiting for some dev time. The game files have many references to the lance, there’s some asset files for it too, I’d imagine these would’ve been deleted if it was completely scrapped.

Just for the sake of clarity for anyone who was not around with us in alpha, these concept drawings are just exploring creature types, and don’t reflect plans to actually make each of these beasts. You may notice some features from some of these concepts are utilized in the existing creature set- this is just a peak at how artists explore ideas when designing a model.

My particular favorite is the mob #7 in the last frame. Looks an awful lot like the warp specter mob, doesn’t it? :wink:

2 Likes

Warp wraith no? Or did the name change again?

1 Like

I dunno, Wraith I guess. I don’t completely remember! I still call it the Haunter, personally!

1 Like

I make battle axes. Which i have used with a grapple combo to solo meteors on Besverona.
Just tweek your skill page some.

This. I fight cuttles with axes daily.

Nothing better than pulling a cuttle into its doom.

2 Likes

The last one in the 3rd picture looks like Xerneas from Pokemon. Also I would love to see all of these concepts added to the game

1 Like

100% true. I just like saving them all to look at them & reference them. BL always seems to find some super-talented artists. I love looking at the concepts & imagining the brain-storming that the artist went through.

1 Like

Well, if the creatures start looking like Pokemon, I wouldn’t want to defeat them. I’d want to collect them and feed them berries :grin:

1 Like