Design: About the Oort Online gameplay loop

IF it was possible for them to do this, then yes, it should be on high level worlds, because although it might sound awesome to defend against a titan there will be people on lowerworld who either 1) dont have the stuff they need for killing a titan because they are specializing in crafting or 2) they are too low level to even consider dealing with a titan.

Being that it is survival, I think the lower tier worlds should at least have random guardians try to attack. The higher tiers can have more organised attacksā€¦ This would make the lower tier worlds most valuable in terms of real estate for building and thus profitable to sell land and desirable to war for it.

2 Likes

it is not marketed as a survival game you know, it is being marketed as a voxel based sandbox MMORPG. people should be able to build in peace without getting their stuff destroyed or attacked.

Devs did mention it is a survival gameā€¦ even the loop suggests it. The game already allows people to build in peace and set all the rules of the world such as pvp (MOD servers) when others visit your world. We donā€™t need massive beacons for massive cities that only 1 person built and lives inā€¦ This should only be possible with a group of people combining beacons.

2 Likes

Another suggestion I thinks devs need to consider are areas that cannot be beaconedā€¦ This massive area will be where players explore for randomly generated dungeons with a possible titan inside and harvest resources needed to move onto other servers.

1 Like

Youā€™ve seen SAO right? You may be powerful enough to fight the high level baddies, but sometimes you want to just relax at home by the lake. Your city will still be there, but everyone will go to work on occasion.

1 Like

Yes I love SAOā€¦ Wish it was possible for a vr game to exist where you play while your body sleepsā€¦
If beacons are to be attacked by monsters it should be due to the size of the beacon and the amount of blocks placed by players insideā€¦ The more you build the more they attackā€¦ A single beacon lake house should probably not generate much attention from attacks and large builds will likely have several people on at one time.

We must discover what happened to the Oort and why they placed titans on the worlds to defend dungeons and guardians roaming around with the purpose of attacking players perhaps even trying to removing your foreign buildsā€¦

And lower tear worlds are less aggressive so relaxing by a lake and massive cities are most possible here.

Wait what? beacons = safety not monsters

Beacons provide protection from time and weather so builds do not decay and land stays as you left itā€¦ and no griefing will be possible because they need permission to add/remove blocksā€¦ They are great for storing blocks and resources. Some people would even like to set a toll whenever you pass into a beacon to use a tunnel through a mountain.

I simply suggest a way to remove beacons so you can raid enemies and remove inactive playersā€¦ Guardians have more meaning if they tried to remove you as if thatā€™s their job to do soā€¦ Trying to acquire land on lower tiers = less to no guardian aggression but more player aggression as your land is more valuable.

That is a no-go in my eyes. Beacons should be only ā€œremovableā€ by others after a long time offline of the player (like more then 2 month (cuz the possability of longer vacations of the players). Titans are a bit out of question in this discussion, cuz they are spawned in and roam at special biomes. I donā€™t think players will be able to build beacons in those biomes.

For Monsters I would like to have beacons which do not avoid being attacked by creatures, but to disable them to come to close to it if they are respawned after the player entered the beacon. For example: If a player is fleeing from some creatures into a beacon, the creatures will follow and can only be stopped doing that by going offline, killing them or have a door closed infront of them. But if the player is in the beacon and a creature walks next to the beacon it will not see him as long as he stays in the beacon.

1 Like

as the rest of them pointed out, you are fundamentally changing beacons to the point of being counterproductive, beacons is the place where you are safe, nobody can remove it, nobody can touch stuff inside it, if you just allow people to ā€˜ā€˜remove the beaconā€™ā€™ so they can grief it is justā€¦ no.

The current plan is to have enough worlds live that players wonā€™t need to reclaim land ā€“ this also accounts for at least 50% of worlds being completely unclaimable (greenbelt area). I can see this being something we/moderators will want to do longer term, but short term this shouldnā€™t be a concern.

2 Likes

No1 seems to realise that beacons will also protect griefersā€¦ Lets say you built a nice house near a lake with a view of the sunsetā€¦ Whatā€™s to stop some1 from placing a beacon next to yourā€™s and building a huge wall blocking your view? If you cannot war over territory, you will be griefedā€¦

Every1 is so afraid of the ā€œG wordā€ here that they think they can plop some OP beacon and be fine but how can you grow it if others surround you? How can you connect to a friend if another builds right in between?

The other thing is why have PVP in this game at all than? If every1 can live in a beacon forever.

If you can war over a beacon I seriously doubt they are simply going to place lanterns everywhere and leaveā€¦ If I spent hours taking down your beacon, you can bet I am taking all your resources and possibly putting a beacon of my own so I can continue my build if I am nearby.

This is what working together and guilds are for. You would have every right to get help taking back what you feel is your land or tracking my hideout so you can plunder back your lootā€¦

I am also in favor of lock picking skills so I can walk up to your build and open those doors you keep the public out ofā€¦ I do believe there could be something valuable inside.

1 Like

The thing that will hinder this from happening is that griefers generally doesnā€™t have the patience to stay around meaning that they beacon would soon lose power again.

And if you can, somebody will come in and destroy you building and steal your stuff while you are not onā€¦

1 Like

Love the 50% greenbelt ideaā€¦ Even with plenty of unclaimed land left over, people are mostly not going to be a hermitā€¦ They will find others and place a beacon nearby without even asking if itā€™s okā€¦ This will cause arguments. Not every1 gets along and they make it a point to be annoying if they feel they are being excluded.

2 Likes

The idea is that it takes hours, or days if you try to solo itā€¦ The best way to protect your stuff is to build with others so they will likely help defend youā€¦ What is the point of a trapdoor for if no1 can attack you?
Is there no cannons or war mechanics at all?

So now beacons that a griefer places will only last a few days?

Well if you think griefers have the patience to keep their beacon going right beside you why donā€™t you think they have the patience to take down a beacon?

People often play together with their friends but that is hardly going to help if a griefer and his friends decide to take your beacon at a point where no one is on.

Last i checked you needed materials of some sort to keep them going, or that was the plan at least. Further more beacons are Expensive making them a tool you would not be able to use for griefing very often.

How long are beacons supposed to last? seems to me every1 thinks forever.

This is my point, a way for them to be removed.

Seems that players want beacons to last forever