DEVS: Forging, could you give us your thoughts?

I agree that they are too rare. I just hadn’t got to the point in the forging to complain about them.

those trophies are meant to be rare

Back to your statement about multiple low level alts.

Yeah, my cook is not leveling up at all. I have my alts build their own house so they get some starting levels and enough cubits to fund some plots and the next alt, but my chef is screwed unless I respec for a while…which I might. My main (the builder) and my hunter have no issue with XP. The gatherer is harder, but not so bad because he never dies. Breaking a million blocked will rack up the xp for my miner.

They do a pretty good job of giving every play style lots of experience, but they obviously designed the game with either groups or alts in mind.

Not trying to tell you how to play, and I’m not saying the balance isn’t screwed up…because it is. But this IS going to hurt in the long run…and seems to be hurting you already.

Sometimes, you have to accept you are going to dig dirt for an hour. Thems the breaks in games like this.

5 hours and 2 drops rare? Same story every night i hunt. Nah, there’s rare and then there is taking the ■■■■.

2 Likes

oh yea that i wanted to comment, too: u never getting anywhere in the game if u think u getting skill points faster with only one or two characters, or if u believe that skill points arent the way to get progress in the game

those trophies drop from stout roadrunners mostly right? how many did u kill in those 5 hours?

I don’t feel it is really hurting me. I was all over the map. I don’t have a problem killing most things. I am fast and I dodge shots decently. It is normally the homing blasts or cluster bombs that get me. But normally I can kill stuff before that happens. I don’t fight everything. I avoid stuff for the most part but sometimes they argo and cuttles will kill you if you run from them where you have a good chance if you just kill them. Plus this is how I get my critter parts. I already have enough alts to suit me. I have a main crafter that does nearly everything. spec for lvl 5 food. I have a forger, she is only lvl 17 but that is all she had to be. I have the gather/fighter. I have a miner. I have one last one that does portal stuff that is low level but that is all she needed to be to do that.

Who do you have shovel/axe epic and maxed shovel/axe stats on?

Edit: my chef is also my portal guy.

The amount is very very high, i’m max speed, super damage, patience of a saint. The problem is it spawns far too many nooby runners so a low drop chance coupled with low spawn rate=wtf
I won’t bang on about it because i’m genuinely annoyed by it and going to end up banned if i keep typing =/

2 Likes

Nothing. I am not going to do the growth farming. I have already stated that.

That’s not the only thing you need it for.
Soil, sand, mud, ash, peat, trees, bushes, tangle…

Anything thatv requires hundreds of chopping or digging blocks

then sry i cant help u with ur orb problem >.< i told u what i did: walking from spot to spot and picking everything up and this yields me plenty. how many orbs do u actually need lets say for a week worth of tools?

I have made a 4 AOE shovels. My miner does enough damage that I can 1 to 2 shot those things. I hated the brick nerf till I was able to make the shovels.

I think that the biggest issue that has not been addressed is that almost all of these nerfs affect the new player base. All the older players cashed in on the bomb mining, forging, etc before the nerfs and can just fall back on their endless stockpiles.
The new players are getting frustrated and leaving. It doesn’t help that when they vent on the forums they get sanctimonious veteran players like Shadesmar (by far the most toxic person here) talking down to them.

3 Likes

I don’t mean imediantly as in ‘As soon as I’m done hitting this block, a second one will spawn’, but more of taking Farming from other MMOs.

In other MMOs, Mobs will spawn very quickly to grind for exp, within minutes usually. But even bosses have a short timer, 1-2 hours.

But here’s the difference between Boundless and those games. I believe it was stated somewhere Regen takes 4 hours. HOWEVER there were 2 complications to it. First, it would count down from 4 hours, but STOPS whenever a player enters an area. In other words around big towns or areas people frequent alot, which will be happening alot with a large number of players. And only restarts when everyone leaves the area again.

So the ‘4 Hours’ is the Minimum time, if no one visits the area. But everytime someone spends say an hour or two+ farming the area, trying to find resources. The time they get spent there, pausing the timer, gets added on. Especially if while he’s there, or a few minutes after he leaves, another player comes into the same area to try farming again for 1-2 hours.

So a timer, even a short 1-2 hour one, can take many hours if people keep popping in and checking the area and hanging out there, isn’t going to work so well. This has already effected people looking for gems, since there are very few planets they are on.

But then there is the other condition. You see, even when the timer DOES run out, it doesn’t replace everything instantly either, but instead it regens it slowly. Again, pausing whenever another player enters the area.

From what I understand, normal blocks. Soil, Peat, and Rocks all respawn instantly, maybe the plants too. I don’t know. But resources, such as Gems, Copper, Fossils and such, they take a lot longer to very slowly populate the area.

Someone on the Forums mentioned that the Devs had said somewhere, I think on the Discord, that they had 5 MILLION blocks queue’d to be regen’d, but still haven’t because people keep visiting the areas and stopping the resources from spawning back in. <— That’s a problem, one we’ve already experienced with the people complaining about finding no gems at times, even when looking for hours.

This is a failure of game design, not in of itself, but in how the Dev’s try to fix it. You see, the issue is that the ‘Solution’ to this issue from the Devs, is needing new planets. However, we don’t have enough population to actually populate those planets. They don’t want to go the route of most Space MMOs like Eve, Elite: Dangerous, or No Man’s Sky where population is scattered to the winds, you very rarely see people, and most planets never get seen or visited.

The problem is that while we don’t have the population of players to ‘Populate’ the planet, aka not many people are living on the planets. People aren’t going there to LIVE on the planet, but to FARM the planet for resources. A LOT of people are, arround the clock, at all times of the day.

Because of how Regen works right this very second, it can’t respawn enough to support the number of players constantly farming the higher level worlds for those resources. But the game doesn’t have a high enough population to warrent adding in new planets to compensate for spreading the resources around so people are in the area less so they can regen.

See a connection? The game won’t expand, unless there is enough people living on the planets. But for the resources to spawn, there can’t be people in the area on the planet. It’s a contradiction. That is made worse, but the fact that people don’t have to LIVE on the planet, to FARM the planet.

Very few people actually live on the lvl 4+ worlds, but everyone goes there to farm them for their resources. But the people don’t live there, so it doesn’t expand, but there are people farming around the clock so resources can’t respawn fast enough.

That is the issue I’m bringing up when I said ‘Resources don’t imediantly respawn.’. I mean, looking at the example of other MMOs I brought up earlier with Mobs and Bosses, their timer is constant, it doesn’t matter if a player is nearby or not, as soon as the timer hits 0, the boss spawns right then and there on the spot.

Now I know you can’t do that with Boundless, if a player is underground, he will be trapped and killed.

However, they can keep the timer being paused with players area, but tweak it a little so that as soon as no one is in the area anymore, it instantly respawns ALL the resources. Not just the blocks, but the gems, copper, trees, plants, coal, and so on.

The balance, is how long the timer is. If it’s too long, every day at a set time like Janna mentioned,

He already brought up the issue. People in different timezones, or outside obligations like School, Work, and so on get punished.

But if it’s too fast, such as 10 minutes, or even just an hour, people can farm the area very quickly, repeatedly.

They have to pick a time, long enough that 1 person can just farm it repeatedly by themselves. But it can’t be so long, that it becomes first come, first serve, and punishes most the players except the lucky few who get there first.

In an MMO, it’s more simple, because it doesn’t matter if you kill 300 goats, because within 10 minutes, they won’t give any xp and you have to leave to keep progressing. You can’t just keep killing the goat over and over and over a million times to progress. Same with bosses. Any loot they give, you’ll outlevel within 10 minutes. And the loot you can’t out level, the loot that actually matter, are instanced to YOU, with a timer specifically for YOU.

Boundless doesn’t have instances, and all the resources are useful at all levels of the game, no matter what. So it’s much much more tricky to balance.

i simply didnt notice the changes in world generation: the timer resets only when u change something, not only when u walk through. 500 words for nothing

plus plant regeneration is buffed

So if I come along looking for gems and find none but find the iron seams that the previous miners left behind and think “I might as well take some of that with me” then that will reset the timer too since I now changed something…

thats how it works as i was understanding it

Here is what they said on regeneration.
So yes if you remove a block then the regen cycle starts again (4 hour timer). I think the real issue is if enough blocks are removed from a chunk (16x16 blocks so maybe a 3x3 hammer straight through which is 9x16 144 blocks) it can take over 24 hours for the blocks to regen then after that the resources regen.

But i wanted beef, and i wanted it well done. I would also like two pieces of bread on either side, and a slice of cheese sandwhiched betwix a bread and a beef