Dexterity and Block Placement

I use a controller, and when placing blocks with maximum dexterity I often find myself placing more blocks than I want to.

Since capping dexterity I’ve noticed that my actual building speed has been hindered by this skill, due to me having to gently tap the right trigger.

I understand that I’m the minority as a controller user, but once Boundless hits the PS4 that won’t be the case.

Holding down the trigger is handy for spamming blocks when filling in floors and such, but it’s become annoying that I have to be so gentle when doing anything else.

My suggestion is simple; add a slider option in settings for block placement delay, so that the block spam doesn’t begin until you’ve held the trigger down for 0.2 seconds or whatever. After that it’ll spam like it does now.

Thanks for reading!

14 Likes

I got the same problem.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m using mouse and have reported this some time ago. Very obtrusive issue.

Edit:

3 Likes

I have the same problem, one option is to revert that skill if the speeds unwieldly for you, though I do think it’s far too sensitive.

1 Like

I think a novel solution for this unique issue could come from outside of gaming…

I’m an avid paintballer on weekends, and there is a similar issue here- with full auto markers, holding down the trigger would fire a constant spray of paint at a very high rate. While that has its uses, you only need one hit to eliminate an opponent, and it’s generally frowned upon to “overshoot” your opponent. (Also safety concerns about rampant guns firing out of control!) What paintball markers use is a ramping up firing mode that that only goes into full auto after three quick trigger pulls in a row. The result is that you have high precision single fire when you need it, and a quick full auto burst on demand without having to toggle any rate of fire selectors.

In boundless, this would translate to block placement in a similar manner. Three fast clicks or full trigger pulls in a row begins full auto placement, re-setting when you release the trigger. Otherwise, pressing and holding the mouse/trigger only places a single block, and slow repeated clicks do not trigger auto-speed.

2 Likes

Haven’t been paint-balling in years! Aaahh, now I’m thinking of calling the lads and arranging something…

I think the simplest solution is to do what most of games do to avoid ‘over-pressing’ or whatever you want to call it; and just make it so that if you hold the trigger - the first block is placed, then (insert changable time here) later it spams unlit you release.

You could have the time short enough that you barely notice it if you pleased.

2 Likes

I think also a nice ability would be able to adjust block placement with a slider bar based on a minimum and maximum.

Say each time you add to Dex, a new value in the slider bar is accessible and you can freely change to slow or fast block placement just by going into character abilities, options or something and adjusting the slider bar to your current liking.

EDIT: This would also allow players to use tools at max speeds and maintaining a manageable block placement rate

4 Likes

This needs to be fixed. This is so annoying when trying to build. I would go with the recommendation of creating a toggle between single block and and multi placement.

I had no dex and it keeps happening to me. In fact I kept thinking it was my mouse, and I threw it out, bought as new one, and it still happens. The fact that it happens to controllers and mouses and really only placing blocks, tells me its server side and not us at all. I’m pulling my fancy gaming mouse back out of the trash now.

It’s only a known bug for full dexterity… I think it might be a different issue…

Can confirm still a bug.

Patch notes say that it is fixed in 191 coming to release this week.

4 Likes

Great!
I did read patch notes but anyway I didn’t notice that until now :slight_smile:

Its actually useful in certain situations :smiley: to double place. Like building out of a hole or building a straight wall. Though yes much of the time its harder to use to my benefit.