Dialogue Animation - Gif Collection (warning - large post)

A simple Chat is ok for the First Version, later a better

Strange that you mention the issues with communication on consoles in one sentence and “deny” a voip in the next one. Since the latter would be the solution for the sooner.
This surely has no high priority but should definitely be included in the PS4 1.0 release. (A sandbox MMO game with focus on trading & economy on a console and without Voip? :shiver: )

I also think that 140 characters are way too less for a game that heavily revolves around social interaction.

2 Likes

I don’t think that was a denial, as such, for VOIP for PS4…

Honestly, I see little point in the devs reinventing the wheel when there is already a viable VOIP option for console players! Are there any PS4 owners here that have any games that use proximity based voice comms?

Also, for those PS4 players that either don’t have a headset or are not comfortable chatting via voice comms, there’s always text based chat to fall back on.

Ben has heard your plea :wink:

It’ll all come out in the wash (A.K.A. us testing it and providing any feedback!)

I hate being misquoted, so just in case I haven’t been clear:

We’re planning a simple chat system for 1.0.

• Why are we doing this? Because there are many options for players and guilds already available as 3rd party (eg: Teamspeak), platform services (eg: PSN, Steam) and web services (eg: Boards within this forum).
  • Why this is good for Boundless: Not spending our resources on complicated chat or VOIP services allows us to focus on essential game features like professions, stats, etc.
  • Why this is bad for Boundless: Using 3rd party services adds an extra step, is less convinient for players. Tight integration is almost always better.

For the future:

When the core game is complete and there are more resources available for less essential features, chat is one of the areas we’d like to improve with more features and deeper integration.

6 Likes

I´m aware of that. But what´s about spontaneous encounters with other players in the wild?
The other player would have disappeared before I would be able to type “wait, wanna trade?” on a controller.

And that´s why I wrote

I know, but I couldn´t think of a word that fits better so I put it in " ".

1 Like

So the world chat and local chat will appear in the same box?

I hope not but i think for the start it will be in the same box

Well I still hope there is no global or world chat but yea^^

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, WoW has a chat limit of 255 chars. I would make a guess that the majority of chat messages sent in WoW are much shorter than that, as well. I bet most are less than 100 chars, honestly.

The char limit seems to only be a real issue in that game when it comes to trade and recruitment spam

1 Like

255 is fine for me^^ but 140 is to less

Also, assuming the game will continue to allow players in different locales to play together, there’s the problem of different human languages.

Have you guys considered a canned chat system (hierarchical or otherwise) as an approach for both console and international chat?

Strangely, Rocket League is a pretty good example of PC<->console cross play, and they have a decent chat system for console players. The range of things you’d want to say is much smaller in that context, though.

Yeah, we will be doing something like this for 1.0, and Rocket League is a good example. Canned chat is a good for consoles and players in a parental-lockdown (no normal chat) mode.

3 Likes

i have no rocket league, can you show me some picture of the chat from the game ?

Never played it either, but google showed me this:

http://0cb8dd5d2dc142d08f0f-eb3b436d25971e5860b39e72b0600342.r94.cf1.rackcdn.com/images/EN0EIsbrfLT6.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

On pc you have the choice on how you want to chat. There’s the normal keyboard chat and then there’s the D-pad “emote” system.
Press a direction and then you can chose out of 4 things to say which is another press in a direction.
So you have a total of 16 emotes/things to say.
For example: sorry, thanks, nice shot, #$@%.

thx @Clexarews and @KuroKuma

nice explanation KuroKuma ^^

i hope we can see a timestamp, or a option to show the timestamp (and yes i know it must not be in version 1.0 ^^ but maybe in 1.1 XD)

1 Like

140 chars is short but would be ok if we can write more then one message without a spam filter jumping in (of cause, stopping from writing the same over and over again would be good). 250 chars would be enough, cuz longer massages would leed to longer waiting till the author has finished writing his message and also longer reading periods, so don’t set the limit to high.

For the matter of global/server chat (and even guild chats): Will those be linked to a tool/equipment and friend/guild-tokens? I hope so, cuz to have a global chat for all for free would leed to a chat like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey… stuff ^^ … and also it would kill the personal and direct feeling of communication and the need to “find/meet” people personaly.

And on the matter of TS/mumble/skype/wtf: Here in germany most ppl use TS (like 95% of all voip users) and skype for just personal small groups (cuz it feeds on ressources like a blue whale on plankton) and using other clients is a matter of minutes to install, so that should not be a limiter as well. Also, VOIP would use a lot of traffic when used over the game server itself, which then would be problematic cuz it could cause lags, costs more for upkeeping. I would like to have that money spended on other stuff :wink:

OMG this is so cool!

It will be great, if during player inputing words, every word will be converted to oortish and displayed in monologue bubble. If you decide remove all, bubble will display " :oort_l::oort_stop:" and next “:oort_m::oort_n:”, and after - new words.