Discussion: "BEACONCAMPING" exploit or not +poll

sponsor build means you see a beacon dying and you like that place cuase it looks nice ya can stick in some fuel to make it stay around longer

botscanning i mean a thing that logs people off if someone is doing automated things like mining and putting it in storage but in repeated pattern without them at the computer

dying flames means that ya cant see if it is low on fuel

2 Likes

Sounds like some people try really hard to find expired beacons or camp beacons until they die.

(Personally) I think this is no different than someone that doesn’t camp a beacon and finds it dead and beacons it. Either the camper or someone who just gets lucky finds the beacon can plot it… ultimately it falls to not letting the beacon expire in the first place. You can hope whoever takes it returns it but ultimately I don’t think someone can be held accountable.

Of course if is like a bot or something then yeah do something about that.

7 Likes

Okay my way of Salvaging is a little different (I look arround for dying flames and check back on them once in a while), so i think getting rid of the dying Flame is a bad way to solve this, because Salvaging is imho a part of the Game like the Hunts, buuut i really like the Sponsored Build idea :slight_smile: … i could have saved so many Builds, that now are gone forever :frowning:

2 Likes

what im about is that people that do it in a manner like it is a profesion just camping beacon after beacon should be adressed

me and dune also watch out for stuff to reclaim we have offered to people in our city that are located in parts off city we wonna keep active and used

salvaging i have no issue but doing it nonstop has got me bugged

2 Likes

There needs to be an option to “leave it as it is”

Grabbing expired beacons is part of the game and one of the rewards people get for exploring, etc. People sitting there and just trying to auto claim it is just a “jerk move”… but there are jerks in the game and will always be jerks in the game.

While I would almost support a standby beacon, there is no way to prove this and I believe people will just take advantage in the long run to get this so they have more options.

The only solution is personal responsibility and maybe an increased friends list. People have to learn to manage their beacons. It is as simple as that.

Now in the context of a “City” I can lean towards a city beacon… but I feel that falls under a “guild discussion” and is not related to 'beacon camping" which is what this post is about.

I assume the “let strangers sponsor builds” means that anyone can fuel a beacon. If so then I might support that but think it would likely just result in dead city spam like we already have now. So I probably wouldn’t unless it was a 1 time extension of the beacon.

6 Likes

Simplest thing to do is not listed on your poll… just email the account holder to warn them 1 week, 2 days, 1 day, 12 hours before the beacon expires. Make each beacon default to this behaviour being “on”, and allow people to turn it off if they wish so they don’t get pestered for a beacon they actually want to let expire.

Possibly even add a new permission for notifications on to the beacon control, so those additional players can also opt to be notified of the beacon expiring should they want to be.

Although I wasn’t a fan of this mechanic when it was first proposed, it’s kind of become an intrinsic part of the game (one that I think should probably have an achievement attached to it - “reclaimed land”). The only thing I would do differently is, return everything that is contained within storage to the original owner via the gifting system and make it claimable within [X reasonable timeframe] before it expires and is lost forever… then let everything else be claimable/lootable. So players don’t exploit the system and use it as additional storage, make it a blind return system (i.e. they don’t get to pick and choose what they get back in what order).

[Edit] Actually, thinking about it more, it doesn’t necessarily need to be an email notification either… it’s entirely possible that you could just receive a private message on Discord from the game about your beacons expiring.

7 Likes

I have to admit that I didn’t even realise there was a dying flame, I guess I should pay more attention … In the past I have found a few abandoned builds and have salvaged what I could, my way of thinking is that if I don’t take it to put it to further use it will just disappear due to regen. As to why the build was abandoned I could only speculate and would never know the reason so there’s no reason for me to feel guilty about salvaging what I can. I have even put the salvaged items in a separate storage block for a while just in case I heard of or saw someone who’s build it was. Ultimately it is a part of the game mechanics and anyone that knows they’re going to be away for a while should try and fuel their beacons for as long as possible. I think the idea of having friends be able to fuel each others beacons could be a good thing but all possible angles would need to be looked at to see that it can’t be exploited. Any kind of bot system should definitely be banned. Shadow orbs need to be made more available so that it is actually possible to make higher level beacon fuel otherwise there’s no point in that recipe even being there.

3 Likes

Bots users always need banned from all games. Games are for players to do things, not bots doing things. I usually keep my flames inside and my doors locked so it’s not helpful to claim jumpers intentions. If my beacon is outside it’s probably because I don’t have an inside yet. So, letting strangers fill my beacons wouldn’t do anything usually. However, if a system were made allowing strangers to fill beacons then there would need to be a setting so that the beacon owner has to turn that on and only for a certain period of time. That way if the owner wishes to let a beacon expire they can do so without some stranger adding fuel to it and if they set it to allow strangers to fill it that only works for a certain period of time before regeneration will work as intended to keep abandoned properties from cluttering up the worlds.

I also agree with the leave it as it is. I have run into expired builds and I did salvage them. I separated the items and did try and locate the owner (especially when they had items in machines and appeared to be crafting). I have also accidently let mine expire and suffered the consequences, however, this was prior to the notifications now being provided in game. I do not support allowing a specified group exclusive access to claim the beacon after it expires.

I could certainly support allowing friends to also add fuel to a beacon (once) or to allow the system to send an email if you had a beacon expiring (with the ability to turn this off or on). But to avoid all the dead and abandoned builds, I do not want to allow for any longer duration of beacon fuel than we have now. I do not think strangers (non-friends or people without permissions) should be able to fuel a beacon. They can claim it when it expires and return it to the owner or in a city let the founder/mayor claim it.

This is and has been part of the game for a while. Beacons expire and people have to take some responsibility for keeping them active. I know this is frustrating when it is a portion of a city and especially when a shared asset is claimed or regens.

All this being said, bots should never be allowed and players using them should be banned permanently.

1 Like

Add durability to plotters?.. in fact, I think they already have durability on testing =p

That would limit how long a bot could spam wave a plotter at least.

8 Likes

None of these options int he poll sound good to me…

Certainly don’t take away the dying flame!!! One very viable way to play this game is as a salvager, this just makes that type of play harder…

Certainly don’t notify the friends list this just makes a massive war of friends trying to claim it because they have all been given a handy message saying come get your free loot…

Strangers sponsor builds??? eh no…

Joining beacons to an all mighty city beacon?!? - Uhm no do like I do in sparta, ask the person to add you to the beacon so you can look after it, if they don’t trust you then oh well… Let there build collapse…

Botscanning? Its not a bot so it wouldn’t be caught…

Ingame moderators… No we don’t need players with power going on witch hunts!!!

Standby beacon that can be requested for military people??? I think this means extrending protection time for those on active duty on deployment… Yes absolutly… But that should be done bye simply… Active Duty person Emails the Developers says I am deploying from this day to this day and the Dev’s saying no worries we will Magic your beacon for that time… Stay safe!

The last selection doesn’t really have anything to do with the person attempting to claim land…

I would happily the choose leave things the way they are Option…

No I change my leave things alone option to go with Jivita’s GREAT idea!!! Give the Plotters durability is a very simple fix!!! Great thinking…

1 Like

Can someone explain the mechanic of this exploit ? Does not people have to fuel up the beacon before using plotter ? And how do this guy have access to the time of the beacon without permission ?

They put down a beacon in the adjacent plot… Already fueled… Then they put a heavy object or tape the mouse button etc to keep the plotter swinging until the old beacon expires thus claiming the plot they are Inside of… to now be added to the beacon they put down 1 plot away…

So yes this is an elaborate mechanic thats dependant on being able to put a beacon down 1 plot away… and that everything your attempting to claim is in that one plot… Because its likely they will not be online since there obviously setting all this up to do so while they are afk…

OK i see it now, but is there a way to see that a beacon is running out of fuel soon that you dont own or have permission on it ?

yes the flame disappears and it becomes a smoldering ash pile with no flame…

Great feature bye the way… should not be removed!

It’s less than 7 days left when flame is gone. So yeah a bot needed for up to a week lol.

BTW apart from plotter durability using plotter could use some stamina so the bot would stop because of that probably sooner than plotter breaking.

2 Likes

OK didn’t know there was such a feature thought it runs out of fire when it is out of fuel

I agree to remove the fire dying out feature. That’s a great feature for a game that’s not Live, Private and just for friends that help each other. Or the letting of other sponsor it, but they can’t rob it blind for a set period of time.

But this is going live, and no matter who you are and what kind of morals you have, the world will fill this game with greedy cheating wannabe hackers that look for exploits and dishonest gains everywhere they can. Smoldering beacons is the SIGNAL beacon for those kind of people to sit and auto spam click until they own your build before you log in and fuel up.

Please remove the smoldering fires out. I mean, who are you trying to show that the beacon is low? We know our own when they get low. I prefer not to advertise it.

2 Likes

@krazykarl your beacons are not lit. need attention. I will hold their place for you for a while.

1 Like