Do we need a wipe?

The issue for me goes beyond a single world. I should have been more clear. I meant new Universe with all new worlds. We won’t be getting really and new worlds in this Universe for a while because the user base isn’t growing to a point where it moves past the EA release. So a full Universe wipe would give us a completely new set of planets and condense the Universe down somewhat… then we can grow much more organically instead of having a bubble like we saw with EA. Additionally, since there have been fixed to planet designs and other things it would balance the worlds a little better since the original EA worlds were different in a few ways.

The creativity aspect goes beyond just a single new world in the existing Universe… it goes toward completely new areas that don’t have reserved plots, or cities, or anything. It goes to starting your characters different, starting the town you did with friends different, etc. with all of it being balanced in the new game systems we have now with farming and stuff. More lush worlds, less other worlds… whatever it is like.

You can’t boil it down to just the simple idea of “I want a new world.” It goes much more into nuances and the overall implementation of what it is like in a brand new Universe.

As far as I’m concerned, the only acceptable way a wipe could be done is if my build is saved as a blueprint that can be instantly re-made, or I’m out of the game. Not spending another 7 months re-doing the same things I did.

Because an unknown number of players might stick through the wipe, it’s ok to lose another also unknown number of players, which might even be greater?! Yeah. Right.
I don’t see any dev agreeing with that statement, ever.

The notion of saying “hey, here, we give you your blocks back in an infinite storage, but we bulldoze your stuff! Have fun starting over!” in a freaking building game, that’s just… nope. But hey, if you wanna get rid of me, go ahead, that’ll work fine.
The ONLY way to make it acceptable is a way to copy-paste a build.
But I’ll say it again : doing a forced-wipe after the game was released, unless it’s culturally accepted like in Minecraft (which is far different from Boundless, even if only in terms of playerbase size), that’s no doable.

How would that even work?
Like, there would be two worlds of the same name, but one with an affix like “Raxxa Prime” and the new one would be “Raxxa II”? Can they communicate?
What you’re asking, in the end, it just more new planets, basically. Don’t even need to be the exact ones we had before.

Again, for all the times you say you talk with James on (I guess) Discord voice-chat or whatever, I don’t think you get what a dev would consider acceptable yet.
I don’t see the devs ever agreeing with cutting the playerbase in two because some wanted to keep their hard work intact and others don’t care about starting over.
“Oh you want to play with the others on the new world? Ok, but you gotta sign this contract with your blooooood and we’ll take your build in exchange! Sounds fair?”
Right. Talk about a deal with the devil, there.

Oh just stop with that BS, for Pete’s sake!
“Oh but Minecraft has wipes too!” “Oh but Rust has wipes too!”
Minecraft has wipes most likely to deal with the playerbase which I’m sure is leaps beyond Boundless’ playerbase. It’s not just for sh!t and giggles. It’s more of a cultural thing.
Rust has NOTHING to do with Boundless. It’s a game where you’re supposed to kill each-others, and where after a few days, the players who have a base basically dominate the land and the fresh players who spawn with nothing get massacred. Yeah, I’ve played a lot of Rust, and I’ve stopped because it’s NOT a freaking building game. The wipes happen on Rust to provide a fresh island to play on every month, and to help in the release of new updates.
But that last point will end-up being removed because the plan for the devs of Rust is to one day be able to release update without forced wipes. So the wipes would become a server-admin decision only.
But if we’re comparing games, I could mention Creativerse, where’s there’s no wipes or world-regen, ever. When a public server becomes too full, the players with admin-powers (given to them because they are trusted) remove plots that haven’t been visited by their owner in several months (unless they’re regarded as ‘historical monuments’ that represent the creativity of the community - then they are protected by the moderators), And even then, in CV, you can create new public worlds with just a snap, so a community can move on to another canvas.
What we’re suggesting here has nothing to do with either CV, MC or Rust.

I’ve visited my builds on CV less than 2 weeks ago, and I haven’t done anything with them since November 2018. It’s doing fine, still visited by other players, still standing. What’s your point?

3 Likes

Well, about the balance part i kind of have different opinion.
I know what you mean by farm system.
But if you play around the farm system you will find out that most seed you can get in low level planet, and a few type on EXO world. I guess the only thing you think is un balance which i feel the same as well is the Toxic Yam Bulb. The rest of seeds and liquid require you to step on EXO planet which i don’t see it involve to our topic.

As result, we just need devs to increase the spawn rate of Toxic yam seed or add 1 more lvl 4 + lush planet, it will get balance. I respect your opinion that you really want to wipe the game. However i really don’t see any of your reasons that we “must” wipe the game to get the same result. For example hosting a new city with different people, i think you can do it now without wipe. Same as the Toxic yam issue, you just need devs to get more resources form current planet. Also the creative aspect you mention is even more weird to me. I bet you can still find a lot of place without reserve plots, and other city will always there because I think either ulitma or Other big guild will build faster than you. All those elements you bring up really nothing related to creative aspect. However, wiping the world may damage the creative aspect. The simple reason is, if i know my design will destroy one day suddenly, why should I spend my time to build something beautiful ? Building things ugly but efficient and functional may be better option.

Caution: Rant

I have about had it with this topic, and this is not just aimed at the person i am quoting but at anyone who feels this way.

And for Legal reasons so I don’t get sued.
Whenever I use the word „You“ I am not referring to any single person at this time.
How is that for a nice Disclaimer?

If you really want to start over, in a new Universe, then you should wait until, they release the private servers that are not connected to the main universe, and then you can go have your fun in a controlled Environment that suits what you want, Or you can go play a different game.

I have about had it, that people really want to uproot and destroy everything else everyone has made because they themselves want to start over. You do not get to destroy other peoples work because it doses not suit you. You all need to find a way to get what you want with out ruining other peoples work.

10 Likes

No wipe, thanks. I already moved my base 3 times. If you need help regen bombing a build let me know we are vastly experienced ; P

4 Likes

Time is a flat circle.

4 Likes

What would this even accomplish?

You reach end game in boundless in a week. The only difference is that now you don’t have your build, no material, no plots and no coin. Grinding is hardly the fun part for most people here.

1 Like

I would hate a wipe, the hours and effort me and my group have spent being destroyed would probably stop me playing.

I would prefer fresh worlds for those inclined to start fresh, you know as the game mechanics already do, the problem there is the low but steady player base and lack of new perma world generation because of it, id prefer the devs and publisher work on promoting the game more, reducing the game price to attract them and padding the game with more people so new world gen happens naturally. An ideal solution would be a new perma world generated every few weeks or so as new players populate the universe like during the last promotion boost.

I already see planets with hardly any building on them already, go build there if you want a fresh start.

This is a sandbox game right? If you dont like the way an area looks, grab a hammer and chisel!

Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram buy Gleam Club Bye!

1 Like

Tons of people have old as dirt 8 year old minecraft builds they haven’t visited in several years but if at the time you’d told them itd get wiped they might have freaked out.

Now? I doubt they care. How many people here regularly visit their old builds anyway. 99% of Boundless is a ghost town right now because of gleam club.

A couple blueprints for people’s favorite builds would be a good compromise if it resulted in better planets.

Calling a whole bunch of people dumb and saying they lack empathy isn’t how you build bridges. No one insulted anyone until you came along. There’s a million other ways you could have expressed yourself and you chose to insult people. And you act as though you’re empathetic?

This is precisely the attitude that makes me want private worlds or at the very least opt in and out of settlements status so I can avoid drama.

Is it so hard for people to be polite?

1 Like

First of, 99%, yeah, sure, why not.

Yeah, and you pretend to be a thinker, of course.

Let’s test that theory.

Let’s say there’s a forced wipe and everybody lose their sh!t (in all senses of the word), as @wade44423 explained, what will it change? Ok, the crappy ghost towns fuelled with Gleam Club for the next year will be gone, but wanna bet there’ll be new ones appearing, then?

5 Likes

No idea is dumb or stupid, just because you disagree with it. The devs said there wouldn’t be another wipe (correct me if I’m wrong), so you probably have nothing to worry about.

3 Likes

They said it?
So why are we even arguing over here?

Yall can answer that lol. Until recently, this seemed to be a civil discussion of theoreticals.

3 Likes

Yeah I literally just started reading all of this and this has to be one of the silliest and pettiest debates I’ve seen yet on this forum to be blunt.

How is discussing a wipe even remotely productive? lol

A bit of insight:

A wipe will not suddenly populate your game, all it achieves at this point is to aggrovate existing players which will promote loss rather than growth.

What you would like to achieve is an influx of new players that is ideally bigger than the normal loss in the player base over time. At this point the development has reached a solid base, I think the devs are working mostly on stabilizing the code base they have at this point, which is why content creation is sparse.

To the laymen the bigger a code base becomes the more difficult it becomes to add new features or effects since there is mostly older algorithms that get effected and you have 300 bugs to fix which when fixed sometimes spawn new bugs.

The best course of action would be focusing on promotion and building up the ingame shop not wiping a player base, once these get improved upon the team will have free ressources to invest into game growth.

And chill out its a forum everyone can spark a discussion over any topic concering the game. Which can yield productive result even if it is just a better understanding of oneself in a player base.

I am out of this thread o/

1 Like

Personally, I get less and less prone to ‘civil discussion’ when I feel threatened by people who are sometimes saying “if I could, I’d steal your beacon” and “if I could press the [forced wipe] button, I’d do it”. ^^

Because there is nothing like a good old fashion Garbage Fire to take peoples minds off of other problems, or fill in the void of the day.

3 Likes