Drunk post of the night:

Omg can we pleaz plz brew drinks in boundless? Chalk this one up too much home made moon shine, but ibthink the “fun factor” more than validates this idea! Where Minecrap has a brewing stand, boundless could use distilleries to brewunique brews, alchemical potions, or even a cool way of making the healing brew. I mean seriously, who makes brews in a crucible?

Ps, praise the oort for spellcheck!

8 Likes

Ancient civ had their brew and it was called Boort. Nourishing and refreshing with a good boost of vitamins. Could make one loopy if consumed in larger amounts.

They also produced stronger stuff that some indulged in although it was primarily invented as a rub-in healing potion that one would use to help muscle and joint pains. It was called Voortka. Some called it Oort Shine though. Became illegal with time as more and more preferred oral use. Some say it was Voortka excessive use leading large part of population to dysfunctional addiction that contributed to the ancient’s fall.

When you dig old graves on Munteen VII you can see that only one tenth of ancient population stayed sober facing the end of their world. They turned into blue gleam reflecting unfaltering qualities of their souls and minds. The others, who drunk more and more Voortka to escape painful reality of approaching doom, slipped into degeneration of their will and intelligence. You can find growth and mould in their graves.

3 Likes

I really love the idea of having drinks in Oort ääähm Boundless, but the problem is that those will them lead to a “stamp” of alcohol or (if not a liquid tondrink) drug use and will get at least a pg13, most times more. … I don’t think that this is a good idea. … But what if there are enemies which give a drug like effect (colors shimmering, view blubbering, …) and which we can tame to be near our homes… Or like stations living plants that act like a trap with such effects (like some plants in real life use toxic chemicals to defend themselves)?

2 Likes

Yes please, i need it for my bar…

Yeah, some sort of alchemy, brewing, recipes would be awesome and ties in with farming/growing plants for the recipes. I’m always fascinated by medicines/brews used against various “debuffs”, I figured the spitters glob would be poisonous for sure so you’d need a remedy to get cured.

Not sure how in depth the survival aspect of the game will be, but I heard “acid rain hurts” somewhere along the way so I’m assuming something might be planned.

So maybe cooling drinks for in the desert, heat drinks for the ice areas, (alcoholic) beverages for roleplay, beverages that increase stats for a limited time possibly speed, mining speed, strength, medicinal brews for various creature “bites”?

Like TheBirne says though the only problem is that as soon as you start putting stimulants/beverages that increase stats then it’s seen by the gaming censors as alluding to “enhancing performance drugs” so the games age rating will go up.

1 Like

i would be down for cooking up some potions. doesnt have to be intoxicants. doesnt have to be a ‘distillery or brewery’. could be called anything for all i care,

but brewing items that give you buffs that can be shared with groups (like vindictus food when used at campfires etc) would be pretty fun, as long as the recipes and crafting arent too time consuming or grind laden

1 Like

Yepp, some alchemy with special boni or different strengths altered by quality of materials and skill (also may be timing) sounds real fun and makes a good addition to party play (and trade). Would also mix up good with farming when it is introduced after release :wink:

I hear the age rating thing, pretty sure the violence is more of a thing to the ESRB than the “booze”. At the moment I would say the game is already ESRB 10+ (which is actually what minecraft is set to, and it’s for the violence). But honestly, who cares about ESRB ratings? 99.9999999% of people ignore it anyway. Also this game is 100% online, so it will get a “Online play not rated” sticker anyway. Which essentially nullifies whatever ESRB decides.

Forgot this when I posted last time but the great thing about potions that boost things or buff food is that they are always being used by established players, regardless of their resource hoards, so they tend to keep up great selling and buying for the economy.

Not everyone’s going to want to buy low level stones/copper in the future once many people have homes/portals set up and can get them themselves super easily - but potions, medicines and buffs would be great for keeping “crafters” really relevant. Crafters would stay relevant like in EQ2 crafting furniture (I am guessing), and buffs/meds.

Plus every RPer needs a beer!

We don’t know how skills will work. It’s entirely possible that iron or maybe silver is the highest none crafters will be able to make, so crafting will definitely be relevant. Even so if everyone can make up to diamond quality (which I highly doubt), it doesn’t change the fact that crafters will be able to make improved versions of the tools, essentially making them relevant all the time. But I would add that if we do add potions, and effectively alchemy, crafters would probably not be the ones that would be skilled into its greater mysteries. An alchemist or brewer(or just mage if magic is also added to condense all the other-worldly things into one and not make people too dependent on skill matching, such as magic with alchemy to be able to do either well) skill would be implemented. Which I would be very interested in.

1 Like

Alchemist or brewer would be great I so agree, but not sure there would be enough things to make them a Class of their own.

Maybe if you if you could tie it in with animal husbandry and farming (botany/growing medicinal herbs and cooking things/using wildstock horns in potions maybe) there might be enough to warrant it?

I’m not sure I’ve ever envisaged magic in this game, it gives food for thought for sure.

A few people have created entire magical rules and stuff for the game that the devs showed interest in. So it is possible at a small scale thing, but yeah I mean an alchemist doesn’t just make potions like people thing. They also transmute (actually an alchemist is a person that searches a way to turn any metal into gold) so maybe the ability to turn metals into others, or maybe even change the property of some metals for crafting? But also alchemists tend to grow/raise their own ingredients. Due to either the rarity of an ingredient, or simply testing how different methods of growth or combination of plants would create more potent concoctions. Simply put, wolfsbane from the store is lame and wolfsbane from your garden where the soil is enriched with human blood, and the wolfsbane is growing alongside shadowthristle and deathbloom will make a more potent poison. Which would totally bring a HUGE RP value to the game as well. Maybe cities can have law enforcement and certain herbs are illegal. So maybe raids to alchemy shops that seem less than reputable to see if they are making poisons or “illegal” substances. OMG I am getting excited.

One day you are minding your own business growing bloodthorn, deathbloom, shadowthristle, the next your door is being kicked down by the guild guards and you are being arrested for growing illegal herbs that are predominantly used for poisons. Good times. I am about to make a suggestion post.