Dude about chunks

I’ve started creating my base and this time I don’t want to have problems with meshes,
When I created a big shop at Gyosha Mall called KNK (some months ago) with a workshop on the second floor I hitted the mesh limit and got a lot of headhaches trying to fix it.

This time I want to avoid it but I got the following doubt. In the following picture I’ve created two 2x2, one is horizonal red/blue, the other is vertical blue/yellow. Both 2x2 share the blue plots.

That means that meshes placed at blue plots count towards the limit of both chunks?
Chunks are vertical and horizontal or just vertical ?

From my understanding it’s 2x2 from mantle to the sky. Or 16 block distance ect

If that makes sense haha

1 Like

Yes its 2x2 plots everything you place tip of it is counted… So if you build a tower from 0 To 256 it has same mesh limit as tower from 100 To 256

1 Like

Thanks guys I understand it now.

Also, it is not “any” 2 by 2. You need to see the debug screen to know when you enter a new 2 by 2.

Regards,

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll check it out.
That information is clearly displayed at debug menu or do you have to divide coordinates by 16 to know that you are in a border?
If 0,0 is the first chunk border in the world any x16 multiple should be one also.

2 Likes

Sorry, I cannot remember how it is shown… and I am at work right now.
Perhaps somebody else can clarify that part :slight_smile:

Regards,

1 Like

To find a chunk on PS4 is a bit harder
But this works if you plot an area of 5x5 and on each corner of a plot you divided the coordinates trough 16 if you get a round number (so no .0) its a chunk border place a block there (helps with double checking).
Do this for all corners that can be divided by 16 eventually you will see which 4 plots belong to one chunk.
On pc it was something you could find in your debug menu.

When you found your chunk(s) you can then decide to split the build up in multiple chunks.

Thanks a lot @Tmmk. Very usefull information.

All this about chunks and mesh limits is something that many players don’t know until they reach it and then they got a big problem.

I think any new player that plans to go big should read and care about this before they start building it can save you a lot of headhaches in the future.

Planification is very important.

1 Like

I hear tale you can see it in the debug menu, but nobody has ever said what to look at. Theres a section called chunk but no data in it looks akin to “you have placed _____ of 512 items” et al…
Instead everyone just says “check the debug menu”.
And if they had they would know exactly what I’m talking about here… lol

2 Likes

Due about chunks, so your talking about :face_vomiting:

7 Likes

That’s infinitely more helpful than any “check the debug” answer I’ve read to-date, you rock! :laughing:

I learned to just remember what mesh count the in-game notification displayed while building. :man_shrugging:

Should also mention that in that part of debug it is based on “selection” so you can stand in one spot and look around your build area and see the different mesh counts based on where you are looking, not just where you are standing.

If you want to know what the mesh count is in the chunk you are standing in, I find it easiest to just look straight down.

3 Likes

Thankfully @Soju-VB came to the rescue the PS4 way also works on pc :wink: that said im on PS4 only and don’t have such a menu :wink: but do know pc players have it and can find the chunks with even less of a hassle :wink:.

@Soju-VB Thanks a lot for sharing this information, it’s very usefull. :+1:

I still use the PS4 way when starting a build… to spilt it up. I mainly use the debug to see where I might have more open mesh limits to place stuff as needed.

1 Like

Still :wink:advantage of both worlds. All i know is pres E to interact… if that is still the case. (From the signs that where abundant way back in the ye old days :joy::rofl::joy: after ps4 release)

Or im wrong :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

If you are planning a lot of stuff on many levels, I would suggest a small space where you mark out the chunk corners so you can then see how the floors above might lay out. It helps as you are placing stuff to see the marks and then adjust things so it is balanced on many levels.

2 Likes