Emote Animation - Gif Collection (warning - large post)

Hiya everyone,

Here’s a visual progress update on all the animated emotes done since my christmas gifs I posted in december. Since you all seemed interested in the gifs - I’m uploading more for you all to see how they’ve been turning out. :smiley:

Basially I always test them in-game so that the assets are game ready for when it’s their turn for hooking them up in code. I’ve therefore taken a few gifs as I’ve tested them in various locations (just cause I wanted to really and it was fun) along the way and it seems that I have a wee collection I can share with you all.

So far - here’s the collection of core emotes I have so far… I will be doing more throughout the next few months(I havn’t forgotten about the dance etc) but I’m going to be working on a few more core gameplay animation funtions first.

Next on my list - is trading!
Stay tuned :smile:

Emotes : Yes

Emotes : No

Emotes : Clap

Emotes : Slow Clap

Emotes : Shrug

Emotes : Point

Emotes : Laugh

Emotes : Insult

Emotes : Facepalm

Emotes : Wave

Emotes : Salute

Emotes : Intimidate

Emotes : Sitting

33 Likes

Excellent! Loving all of these! :clap:

2 Likes

Thanks Stretchious - I know you liked the sneeky leeks Ben’s been posting! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh my god, slow clap is so sassy, i love it xD

1 Like

Omg the thunderstorm when he says ‘NO’.

Love it. Fantastico

4 Likes

So what do we need to do to make thunder everytime we say no? :smiley:

Credit where credit is due, these are fantastic! I love how you’ve managed to distinctly convey the meaning of each emote without any facial rigging. Will you be adding any facial rigging in future? I’d love to see a growling face on the intimidate emote :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes! I needed facepalm so hard! Thank you!

They’re all so gif-worthy :smile:

6 Likes

So the answer to that is ‘maybe’ ? :slight_smile: Certainly it’s been discussed and is on the table as a possibility. I animated with the intention of making the animation as lively and as personality driven as possible without any facial rigging (just in case it’s undesired in the end). Most of the emote gestures read with strong 360 degree silhouettes with his core body language and big hands which is a key area of this race’s character trait and also so it’s apparent what he is saying/doing from all angles.

4 Likes

These all look fantastic :smiley: I’m so glad we get a facepalm ^^

I have to say they look awesome but both clappings look like the palms don’t really touch^^ And I’d second a growl for the intimidate emote. It looks kind of silly without a facial expression.

1 Like

I assume that they planned to make it, it was just to test the body and rigging system as far as i understood?

Yep. @KuroKuma, just look a few posts above yours at what @gerryjacobs said.

The problem with facial animations is it might put limits on the number of cool and varied faces (and as a by-product, Races) we can create. Factor gendered faces on top of it and facial animation gets really expensive and really complicated.

To me Race and character variety beats facial animation hands down and @gerryjacobs absolutely nailed massively emotive characters without any facial control (seriously hard thing to do). This kind of thing makes me proud, it’s Wonderstruck working at it’s best and within our constraints: the tiny team making a big game!

11 Likes

Really cool emotes/animations, but I think you forgot the most important one:
/dance :smile:

1 Like

Yeah. Comparing scope of that project to team size to other, more essential projects, it seems very apparent that facial animations should be placed on a back back back burner. Gerry’s done an excellent job!

I read that. I still second it because a smile isn’t intimidating. Unless you’re Joker maybe.

@Zouls I think those are good enough as emotes for a long time. Facial expressions can wait. The only emote which really needs it is intimidate^^

Just for fun… plus it’s a Monday. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The Night Build

The Shame

8 Likes

nice work @gerryjacobs

best emote XD
facepalm
https://forum.playboundless.com/uploads/default/original/2X/7/7a4418716d1d82faa993c5af48c0862fd42cc604.gif

3 Likes