Estimated Internet Data Usage of Boundless

Without exhausting my limit by testing it myself, does anyone here know the data usage of Boundless?

I’m unfortunately staying temporarily at a place where our data limit is only 60GB per month! (we usually extend it to 160GB though cause it’s just too small!) We obviously don’t have the luxury of mindlessly using it then capping our connection. I once did played for two weeks (around 70 hours of game time I guess) and I capped our internet connection very prematurely! This game is really data hungry! So it’s sort of a blocker for me now.

This is probably just a trivial thing but I opted to post it for some sort of “knowledge base” that might also help others in the same situation as me.

No concrete numbers, but I suppose that slowing the chunk download rate to the lowest setting will help slow data consumption? I don’t know I’d it’s enough to keep under such restrictive rates.

This really depends how far you travel. If you don’t travel between worlds and don’t venture too far from your beacon then the game will (roughly speaking) download the surrounding environment and put it in the cache, then it’ll only need to download deltas to this region. The bandwidth will be quite low. You can also reduce your draw distance in the graphics options to reduce the download even further.

But if you constantly explore new locations and worlds then the game will keep downloading (and caching) the chunks.

I don’t have more precise numbers at the moment. But it’s a good idea a FAQ entry.

1 Like

For one week I had to use my mobile connection to play. I used around 300MB/day, playing between 1 to 3 hour each day

4 Likes