Et tu, Brute?

When you wanna know what’s going on but don’t wanna read trough all the comments…

3 Likes

As long as my tail and horn accessory does not require a payment. Many people have said I’m kind of a devil in my responses on the forum so I only feel it is appropriate to accessorize my character once that is available. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s also what I hoped they’d do before jumping into microtransactions right away.

Take Rust as example
282dc5c21919b9006cf3cebc6629c3a9bfb3d061
the rented/public server ratio is crazy.
I’m no accountant but with such a ratio it seems like a sustainable source of founding to me.

1 Like

The rust dedicated server is free…

First of all Slane, you aren’t even understanding the point of view that I am coming from and the things that I was addressing much earlier in the thread.

Besides, it has already been addressed by Luke anyways. There was further indication from other posts as well from other people. It isn’t like I was making some hidden Easter Egg message.

(This isn’t directed at you Slane) It’s also getting pretty taxing whenever someone has a disagreeing point of view or opinion that it some how is toxicity or creates volatility in the community. If you can’t handle someone with a different point of view or opinion, stop accessing the internet. Cause you aren’t helping the situation in trying to guilt trip other people and make them look like they’re the bad guy.

Karko made a bunch of assumptions about microtransactions in Boundless. Some may be right and some may be wrong. Either way it’s basically just drama. My understanding is that James will be writing an article about this in the near future.

7 Likes

Lol the sooner this is all cleared up the better

6 Likes

I wish games could work like that where you could measure one games possible success by comparing it to a completely different game with a completely different player-base, but unfortunately… no.

I was not talking about the success, i.e. absolute numbers, but the ratio of those numbers, which, in my opinion is an eligible comparison.

The tool to host a server is indeed free, but most Rust Servers I know a rented from a provider anyway.

Anyhow, all I wanted to point out is, that server rental / world hosting might be able to sustain Boundless and that it is an alternative that I hoped would be at least tried before jumping into the ingame-cash-shop right away.

1 Like

Let’s put two and two together for a minute until James has his response. But players found a prototype store where you could spend Qbits to get things. You got qbits for levelling up and continue to get them after 50. So even though it is an in-game earning/reward system people saw this as pay to win?

And real money transactions in the store, surely that was expected with private worlds?

16 Likes

sounds more like play to win

7 Likes

Thanks for clarification Luke :slight_smile: People see what they want to see. And in the end I don’t see why it would be an issue to have purchasable anything in non pvp realm as long as you can grind for everything also. Like Warframe does. I’m in love with the game and would shell out money to support it and provide it to players who only want to gain stuff through gameplay.

edit: just to clarify, people often forget players that don’t have much time to grind for stuff but still want to experience everything that game has to offer

4 Likes

This doesn’t earn the rust developers any money…

Karko is saying you can buy Qbits for real money, but I asume he has just misinterpreted something… I did think it seemed really strange as I dont see you guys ruining a game by making it pay to win :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A word of warning here… I don’t know how many, or what, other projects you’ve worked on in the past, so I don’t want to sound the least bit condescending when I say this…

Getting feedback from the community is good. Doing what you can to accommodate players is good. That being saidsomeone on the forums will get mad at every single thing you try to do. Every. Single. Thing. And being a forum participant is a self-selecting process; we’re by nature the most vocal players in the game.

At some point, you just have to weigh all of the feedback and go forward with a decision that makes sense to you, even if it upsets some people. Obviously not All The People, because you don’t want your game to be abandoned–but “Some” is manageable.

For an instructional case of how this can go completely wrong, I’d point everyone to another Early Access game that I purchased, Folk Tale… The devs were so sensitive to vocal forum posters that the game changed directions several times, and then back, and ultimately ran out of funding and failed without ever seeing the light of day. Ultimately, the lead dev let the passengers captain his ship, and it ran aground.

5 Likes

Many of us - and I’m standing in the front of that row - would love a way to financially support the game. To me it feels incredibly wrong to pay so little for the hundreds of hours of gametime I’m getting when I can spend a lot more on the other games I play.

I fully support some means where players can continue to - at their discretion - fund the game after purchasing it. The better that is integrated into the game the more funding you get and the better a game we get :wink:

8 Likes

No, what I found was;

Qbits are 5 US cents.

There is a combat perk that MULTIPLES the amount of damage a player does!

There is a basic builder package that that cost 20 dollars to be able to work with certain colored blocks.

There are loot crates that can only be opened with keys purchases in qbits.

There is a VIP package, which allows perks like globally muting a player to everyone. Which cost 15 dollars a month.

Your all in one package is 40 dollars a month excluding hosting.

Private servers are 30 a month.

Public servers are 15 a month.

Basically, You have the initial purchase price, hosting, a backdoor sub, and p2w microtransactions.

This is what I get for supporting you guys?

Proof? :joy:

4 Likes

As an obsessive builder, I might go for the new color palettes, although I’d have to see what I was getting at that price… That’d have to be an awful lot of colors for $20. Heheh…

I know I’ve bought color palettes for my characters in Warframe…

1 Like

Hey, hey, we don’t have any proof yet, so don’t start judging it yet. That can happen after an official statement :slight_smile:

5 Likes