Expand the tutorial phase

I agree that this idea of chasing the red dots on the HUD is cumbersome and time consuming, but how else are you going to show how amazing and friendly the player base really is. Assisting each other is what this game is becoming famous for. A Very Helpful Community!

4 Likes

Absolutely the best part of the game! Also, it feels good to be able to give stuff away. I prefer that to any other aspect of the game. Well, until I have my sovereign planet - then youā€™re all on your own. Sorry bout it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There were two majorly confusing parts to the tutorial when I first started. Going through them again on an alt they make more sense, but as a brand new player they didnā€™t explain a few things very well.

One is how different objectives can get out of sync with each other. Itā€™s possible to complete a few objectives in one area but none in others and then have to repeat those same steps again for a new objective. When I first went through this I thought to myself how Iā€™d just done that so why didnā€™t I get credit.

The other confusing part is where the tutorial dives into beacons, plots, and settlements. It has you set a beacon down for building, and then shortly after wants you to drop another beacon in a settlement? What if the first beacon was already in a settlement? The first objective has me plot, but the settlement objective wants me to plot more and then drop 35 building components down. Itā€™s confusing, a bit messy, and I feel it doesnā€™t help teach beacons and plots well. Is my second beacon part of the first? What does owning and maintaining multiple beacons in an area imply? Understanding beacons, plots, and settlements is important for good community interaction in my opinion and could be much better communicated.

Those two areas could stand to be fleshed out better.

On a side note, the Storis II Welcome Center is amazing! I moved from Raxxa to Storis II a week or so ago and was floored when I came across it.

2 Likes

Just chiming in to agree the tutorial needs to be expanded and clarified Iā€™ve been playing for a month and there were so many times I was completely lostā€¦ thank goodness I have a friend whoā€™s more of a vet (heya @Mystfit!) and for places like the Lacuna Welcome Center on Storis II. I have a feeling that new players who arenā€™t quickly introduced to vet players (thank you to @whitelet for my first titanium tools and explaining what ā€œKā€ in game did!) donā€™t play very long, and thatā€™s a shame. This is a great game and the community is one of its strongest assets.

2 Likes

I meet a lot of new players who donā€™t know that planets are a thing. Or how to use knowledge tab to find iron and copper

3 Likes

add a make mailbox tutorial at the start cause defā€™s dont understand noobs making mailboxes and placing them on noob plots is a very good thing ill keep suggesting it every two months orso :smile:

1 Like

I didnā€™t know grapples were a thing until several months in :wave:
Now theyā€™re pretty much the only reason I play.
ā€˜Make a grappleā€™ objective should be before beacon, imo

3 Likes

especially on Beckon

2 Likes

My ā€˜thingā€™ was I was letting the tutorial guide me. I didnā€™t want to do a thing until the tutorialā€¦or at the very least an objective ā€˜toldā€™ me to. I wanted to feel a sense of questing, for want of a better word. There are things Iā€™d of never known with that as a goal :wink:

1 Like

Hope everybody doesnā€™t mind a bump here too much, but have been helping a new player recently so have been thinking a lot on this, wanted to share my current thought on what might be the best way to go here perhaps.

Basically was asking myself, had I not been there to help, what would have been the best way to get the same result as a person helping, with the most minimal amount of programming and/or fiddling with the existing structure - quicker fix, basically, and it would be totally optional to use. Idea is, packing in the most information with perhaps the least amount of work/changes.What I think now also involves the Sanctum Elder, but different than what I posted before.

Have a HUGE list of topics you can ask him about, perhaps sorted by Basic - Intermediate - Advanced. Everything that could be asked that could be thought of, from how to find and eat food, simple crafting to forging techniques, warps, portals, planets, protections, compass, buying and selling while using the scanner, ect ect ect. Each topic would play a video showing somebody doing it step by step with caption comments including the PS4/PC controls to do so and any general notes and suggestions.

So for example, I could ask about buying and sellling, get a clip of somebody running through a mall doing both and using the scanner, then setting up plinths of their own. A ā€œBasicā€ topic might be, ā€œHow do I increase the speed of my actions?ā€ (Iā€™m seeing initial speed seems to bother newcomers, and they might not realize how quickly it can be improved as you level) - this could bring up a short clip showing how to get to the skill page (every detail start to finish, basically), allocating some points to the skill page, and showing the before/after difference in action speeds after the character allocates some points. End suggests watching the Grapples tutorial for some more hints to speed up moving around.

I really think seeing it done, in most cases, would be enough to get someone the info they need, would be very useful to have tutorial videos all there in the game and asking the Elder would be an unobtrusive place to put it while still being intuitive, and putting together clips might even be something the community could help with?

4 Likes

I love your idea @bucfanpaka!

Btw. Does the tutorial say anything about sovereigns or creatives? Anybody test yet?

1 Like

Probably just the help popup the first time you visit a sovereign and all the popups when you visit a creative for the first time.