Experiencing connection instability to some worlds

I only skimmed the thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned already. Something people have reported success with is using a VPN service to connect to boundless. Something like Nord VPN for example. What this does is connects via a different route to the region (routes depend on the ISP of both sides). Once your data is in the region quickly, it’s much easier to connect to a server in the same region. VPN services will do connectivity tests when you select a region so it’s quick and easy.

Regarding the game: it could be fixed for everyone using a game-side tunnel. Basically the user would connect to their local server, and the game service would use a known good route to communicate with the other region, taking user ISP’s international routes out of the equation. I’ve described it more here: Solution for bad lag on some planets

EDIT: I know this has been done for other games. iRacing was doing it for some time. not sure if they still do.

4 Likes

Look I have never had a issue with lag or connection loss to the game even in EA state. This mess started about a week ago and is still persisting. There is something not right and started around that time. Nothing and I mean nothing changed on my rig, same service provider, and no patch in game.

With that said let me tell you Comcast is having issues and in a major way. They have had complete network shutdowns in major areas reported over the span of the last week. Just yesterday most of my state went down for 4 hours. Other states have reported hours of blackout times. This is Comcast and I would assume is a lot to do with a bad Firmware push and possible failed attempts at integrating fiber at major hubs.

ATT have been brow beating people to switch, I mean door to door salesman, to their fiber. For Comcast to even compete I assume this is the case. Bare with it you all. Changing the game to suit our needs is also a big ask as each planet is a server and cost may be unreasonable for Wounderstruck.

3 Likes

Can we get this please?

3 Likes

Ok I tried to do it but am too ignorant on how it works. I messed it up and had to reset my router firmware.

I’m just going to quit playing a while and check back later. No point to log in if cant access content. Thanks for trying help.

4 Likes

I’m not beating a dead horse for sake of beating a dead horse here, but connection issues were the #2 reason I quit playing Boundless for 9 months and let everything expire, second only to nerfs. I had a base on Lamblis that I loved. But most nights it was seizure-diarrhea spin in circles if I could even connect at all. There were no free warps home back then, so I was literally stuck on an unplayable planet. Inability to connect is a huuuge QoL black eye for Boundless, even if you can just avoid Eu servers. I eventually moved to US servers but was bummed out by having to move. And then when my friends quit (d/t nerfs) I followed them to Anthem (yuck).

1 Like

also forgot about this: Option to disable UDP

not recommended, but worth a try if you’re having issues.

1 Like

This right here is the sadness. Hope you come back soon.

Do VPNs work on PS4?
A lot of people saying it’s easy to just download and install. But are you all talking from a PC perspective?

Where would i even get a VPN for PS4? Are they free? Are they safe?
I literally just did 30 minutes research on this and I did not find a satisfactory answer.

And tbh i shouldn’t have to pay a subscription fee to some other app in order to play the game. I’m also worried about spam ware or malware. Could I potentially eff up my PS4 by trying to install a VPN?

Side Note:
I can get around without visiting some of the EU planets. But where this really hurts me is the Exos. Almost all T5/T6 networks start with besevrona - which is nearly impossible for me to navigate due to latency. It took me literally 45 minutes to rubber band my way from Fireborn through La Familia network to get to Serpenserindi. IDK why I was so patient, cause i won’t be doing that every day.

1 Like

Yes, and no. There are no VPN apps you can install on PS4 unlike on PC or Android devices but if your modem/router supports it you add VPN settings there and it will work for your PS4 as well.

If your modem/router does not support it but you have a PC with both wired and WiFi you can set it up in such a way that you share the PC connection.

Free ones aren’t always good and might not be safe. If you pay a sub the they are safe if you get a reputable one.

There, fixed it for you :wink:

2 Likes

Same here, us West Comcast/Xfinity. Can’t play any European worlds at all. It has been several days after not playing for a while.

1 Like

I also play other games on European servers just fine btw, it is only Boundless that has an issue. Idk the difference in the way they are routed or anything, just thought I would mention it.

PS you can go from Till>Serpensarindi>Alnitans and beyond.

1 Like

Is that a P.S. or does that mean through Portal Seekers?
Cause that would be helpful…

3 Likes

Yup, Portal Seekers. You can start with the Delta Cancret T4+ portal in the Biitula PS hub. From there it goes to Till, Serp, etc. like xieth101 said.

1 Like

Apologies, as @FlyingPenguin noted, I was meaning Portal Seekers.

Saying you’re having issues with a game/lag/connection is kinda like saying “something is wrong with my car”. It could be so many different things and probably not the same problem for everyone :woman_shrugging:

What is your ISP’s F.A.P.? Are you being throttled? Is your connection getting bottle-necked in your area? If you’re using wifi, where is the modem/router located? Have you looked at your firewall settings? Do you have unnecessary processes running while you are gaming? If you’re on PS4 do you have the “automatic updates” on - if so, it’s probably constantly running in the background, searching for updates to the system, games, DLCs, apps, etc. Do you have other devices using your internet?

I’m in the CDT/CST time zone in the US and while these values aren’t the best, I don’t have any lag or connection issues:

Latency
Antar 116
Arie 121
Bersev 116
Cardass 112
Circa 116
Dzassak 123
Eresho 116
Finata 121
Gellis 116
Glovi 123
Imoco 114
Kol
Lamblis 116
Niia 116
Refgar 115
Soch 126
Trung 114
Xa 112

Boori 156
Flan
Galan
Lasa 149
Lutrion 147
Malu

Biitula 76
Till 83
Merika 79
Gyosha 55-81

2 Likes

Do you play on foreign servers on other games? Honest question, because the root problem seems to actually be that:

I know lag spikes happen on other isp too, but they don’t tend to be game breaking. I do no think this is something wonderstruck can fix, the only thing they can do is optimize and reduce network traffic where they can in the game. Which is something they continuously do anyway.

5 Likes

Agreed. When I switched to a VPN to solve the Comcast/EU problem I do get occasional lag spikes for a few seconds on any of the planets. Which is annoying, but certainly playable and still enjoyable. I did notice my internet speed went from 160mbps to 80mbps when using the VPN, not sure if that was part of it.

lol, i’m at a 40mbps on google’s speed test (I’ve not actually gotten any downloads to pull that fast, those only get to about 12mbps at the fastest peaks). I don’t have anything but intermittent lag, that i can stand still for two seconds and it goes away and might not be back for hours. Hasn’t kept me from the big hunts/high traffic areas either.

This is a great point. While the Comcast/EU thing is one specific problem, everyone else experiencing lag issues, whether it’s intermittent or permanent, whether its specific planets or regions, etc. could be a host of problems.

Yeah, I’ve found most speed tests to be very inconsistent and unreliable for my internet. I always get a different answer from each speed testing website or client. I just use the download numbers from steam or origin to get the actual download speed. (don’t forget to convert MB/s to mbps if you do that)

While I am currently not having the connection issues to Boundless servers that others seem to be, I am living in Asia but I am from the US so almost everything I play is on a foreign server as there are not a lot of games out there with a South Korean server unless its a Korean game.

I have frequently had connection issues to all Boundless servers, while other games in the same regions (i.e. another US West server based game) have no connection issues at all.

Personally, I decided that while I do think Boundless is super sensitive to any connection issues between the user and the server (not the Boundless teams fault)… it is unfair for me to compare them to other games because in reality this is a small game, maintained by a small team, with likely a small budget compared to big ticket games and companies that can afford their own servers / connection teams etc…

Just my 2 cents from someone who is always playing on “foreign” servers.

So when I have issues connecting, which is pretty frequently, I just go play something else for a while.

2 Likes