Experiencing connection instability to some worlds

Yeah in Boston and Chicago there is competition, it’s a good thing

2 Likes

My speed connection seems good.

I can play League of Legends EU client with 160ms(ping?) and I play on Twintania server for FFXIV which is a EU data center with similar latency(thats the right word?)

So Boundless EU and AUS servers I cannot play though. So then I am understanding the routes Comcast takes to get to EU clients for LoL and FFXIV is a different route than for Boundless EU servers? I guess that could make sense but I’m an idiot about this stuff so to me it doesn’t.

Im just very frustrated. I was enjoying the game and it was running great then in 1 weeks time it goes off the tracks for me. My choice is to play only half of the worlds and lose access to shops I had been using, or to just not play at all. That seems to be the reality and that isn’t fun.

A lot of you seem to know what you’re talking about but it doesn’t matter when someone just doesn’t understand. These things aren’t my strengths, this is supposed to just be some fun and entertainment; not a ball of stress.

2 Likes

Yeah it goes by a different route which is set by the ISPs; boundless has literally no say.

That said, they could try moving the boundless servers from one EU AWS to another EU AWS server and it might fix things

1 Like

This is quite possible yes. Geographically the boundless EUC server is in the AWS london data center, I’m fairly sure. If those other games are hosted on the european continent then it’s possible that the connection is traveling further (more hops/third parties) or taking an entirely different route.

Speed test to a local/optimal server like the one pictured show a snapshot of your connection’s throughput, but can still show high throughput even in very heavy latency. This one isn’t even showing a ping time between you and the server. You might get that sort of ‘speed’ once you’re connected even if it takes a very long time to connect.

Since the game is making many small connections rather than one continuous stream it becomes much more noticeable.

I vote Amsterdam :smiley:

1 Like

There was a reason why I created my own thread for my own problem but for some reason, James decided to shove my problem in the mix with all of yours and lock my original thread.

My problem was most likely unrelated to the main theme going on here.

No I do not really play on foreign servers any longer for my other games, I only play, boundless, LoL, WoW, D3 and ESO at this time, all of which have servers in NA as far as I am aware of, but that matters not for my case, I was experiencing a good deal of lag to US-West Boundless servers, and extreme lag to any non US-West server, I happen to live in CA, so me having a great deal of lag to a server in the same region that I live is, puts my problem in a different bucket then what is the general theme of this thread, EU servers and Comcast, both which do not apply to me.

But it is a mute point for me, as my problem seems to have fixed itself sometime last night.

2 Likes

Just a datapoint here, but recently in the USA there was a big effort by various ISP/content providers to grab a bigger share of the content streaming pie. Because of the recent deregulation of network neutrality, the various content providers, who are also “neutral” carriers, can be inspecting all your data and delaying or dropping anything that looks like something from their competitors, or at least those competitors who have not paid extra.

It’s likely that Comcast/NBCUniversal looks at the Boundless packets and mistakes them for, say Apple+ or Disney or whatever packets. Given today’s Big Data Analysis is just 1760s technology (Bayesian filtering), it’s going to make mistakes. There is plenty of precedent for ISP packet filtering causing unintentional game lag through traffic shaping.

You can’t discount equipment failure as the root of the problem, either. It turns out dozens of logically parallel virtual circuits can go through the same physical connection, as has been demonstrated when a single cable has been cut or a single data switch destroyed by a falling office tower. Routing around the problem might require changing peering agreements, which means lawyers get involved and that could take weeks to resolve.

For what it’s worth, my game connection of usually poor, but it’s usually consistently poor because there’s a lot of forest between me and the nearest tower. I almost never notice a difference between servers on different regions.

2 Likes

Well if I have 10 other cars in the garage the one giving me problems will just sit in the garage while i drive another.

People dont want to spend their limited game time trying to find ways to play a game when there are plenty of other options. Whoever and whatevers fault this is it certainly will impact this game. I log in take care of my store and portals and log back out. Oh it takes me about 5 hours just to rubberband my way to them and fill so, but I got gleam club anyway.

1 Like

This was an interesting read, thank you for the explanation.

In the interest of stating the obvious. Here is a link that shows some of the issues USA is having with their internet thanks to political mishandling. Article is a few months old but I am sure is still relevant as another one released this month is more targeted toward major functions such as power, gas, water, and the sorts.

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/nl/security/news/cyber-attacks/ddos-attacks-that-employ-tcp-amplification-cause-network-congestion-secondary-outages

1 Like

I am also experiencing the lay. To me it seems very similar to the last time I had severe lag and posted about it. Severe Lag on US West Servers

I shared a game log last night while it was happening. I’m sure others submitting logs will only help the devs fix this. <3 we love you devs.

1 Like

I’m on ps4 east coast US and I’ve had consistent game breaking lag (not even being dramatic) on EU Planets. This morning is the first time in over a week that I’ve been able to play on Circarpous without lag. It’s been a solid five minutes and I don’t know how long it will last. I’m really glad it’s not just me. I’ve not experienced this sort of lag since ps4 launch. I haven’t been keeping tabs on the exo planets but another player suggested they may have something to do with the connection issues for some players. I have no idea, all that is above my pay grade. I cross my fingers every morning hoping it circ is working so I can finish my build :joy:

Interestingly unless they’ve moved them again recently the EU FFXIV servers are actually located in Frankfurt, thankfully they moved them a couple of years ago because they were originally in Canada, that move gave most people much better connections though annoyed a number of Americans who’d selected the EU servers and suddenly got really bad latency.

Frankfurt happens to be the same place we host the EU Boundless servers. However even servers in the same city or even server facility can often get different routing meaning we’ve even seen cases where we get consistently slightly different latency to 2 servers hosted in the same location.

3 Likes

As for reference for ppl here and devs here is couple screens from my connection to various servers;

i used tracert and ping commands for this test.:

1. euc4

2.aus1

2. use2

4.usw3

test done 14.01.2020 16:05

1 Like

This is very similar to my results over various country vpn connections. I blame AWS.

1 Like

Ok I was able to figure out how to do the tracer thing. Image above is what it gives me. Does this help make sense at all? Was that the correct address to use for the EU servers?

The VPN is not an option for me. I just cannot figure that out. If I know what to ask and which department to ask, maybe I can get bumped up a tier on the comcast tech support line, or does this show there’s nothing they’d be able to help me with?

I went back and looked at your early post also and did the cloudping thing too:

I was able to play on BESEVRONA earlier today which is great since it is probably the best planet for bitter beans.

2 Likes

I wasn’t able to play on it earlier today, but i just checked and the EU worlds are holding at a steady 125-135ping?ms? ping in game right now allowing me to access EU and AUS worlds currently.

Besevrona is playable today I hear. Get them while you can.

When I had this issue the last time I had a solid connection all the way up to AWS for what it’s worth. I didn’t have any latency until past the AWS edge.