Explain goo farming please

The checkered gleam and growth picture are you mutating the colors on the gleam to get maximized seed or crop. And where do you plant the goo in the pigment farm on the sponge?

@Trickyy90 If you would like a 1st hand lesson give me a shout. I can take you to my farm and tell you anything you would like to know.

1 Like

the gleam and goo setup will be only or seeds at 90% and 0% crop and to get the 350% pigment then you make a separate farm with the sponge n lava setup @aaron5.

IF you do the other setup you get pigment and goo (rock and gleam setup)… keep in mind the gleam and rock you can go up to 3 wide with lava all around. This way you eliminate having two separate farms spread out and you get both goo n pigment in return in one run.

1 Like

Depends on if it’s a popular color yea?
I’ve sold some white spray for 100c, and others at 200c. Just gotta find your niche.

To be fair though… with goo kernel prices at 150c idk if I’d go lower than 125c for pigment and 100c for spray. The time and effort it takes to grow and mix should be rewarded.

That said… goo kernels should be cheaper imho.

With how varied results can be when it comes to goo farming it’s very hard to decide how to price any of it.

But 1 kernel will statistically produce 10 or more pigments on a balanced setup (rock surrounded by lava). So I can accept kernel prices up around the 100-150c range if they are particularly useful colours. But it’s also really easy to go and collect a stack or more of these myself so I would be very picky about which colours I am prepared to pay that price for. I will happily pay around the 50c each for any old colour of kernel, because turning them into a paint that will sell requires time, knowledge and the right gleam to do so.

1 Like

I only have a tiny farm, and I’m not gonna pretend that I know what I’m doing haha (though I’m enjoying it immensely) it seems that 100c per spray seems extremely overpriced… I would have thought to sell my sprays for around 20-25c each unless it’s a really rare colour…

But again I don’t really know what I’m doing :laughing: but my pigments are building up nicely

For perm planet colors I would say 25c-50c max, but some of these colors which are not released lets say for example luminous yellow… it takes one step IF you have the right color but once you run out it can be 2-3 growing processes which require more goo to produce that color. I think also price comes into consideration when players are buying the special color gleams at 1k plus, so they would like to make that coin back quicker. So I can see pricing on those special colors going for a higher rate.

2 Likes

Yep I absolutely agree.

Another factor to consider is the popularity of a specific colour. I have sold somewhere near 10,000 cans of shadow cerulean since I started farming goo at 125-150 each. This turned out to be a relatively straight forward colour to mutate to and also relatively simple to mix but will sell on desirability alone. Shadow blue on the other hand which has been much harder to mutate to and also to mix sells a lot slower at the same price.

I’m trying to put together some resources in game and out of game that will help people with farming the stuff that doesnt require a PhD in mathematics to use. So stand by (but dont hold your breath) for some help. In the meantime just trying it out and experimenting is the best way to start understanding it.

1 Like

that one I agree if you have the correct goo color… its a simple one tbh but once you run out of that color you would need to add another step into making it in order to grow the shadow cerulean. It will just come down to the price you buy the goo at and or if you collect it yourself to justify the price. If you collect the goo yourself they yes 125-150 since it a special color seems fair. Now if you buy then you would have to calculate your costs so you make some profit. Goo prices are all over the place from what I’ve seen… Sometimes you get lucky and find them for 20-50c but lately I’ve seen 75-250c…

2 Likes

:clap: :clap:

That’s awesome, I’m certainly no mathematician :laughing:

1 Like

Good luck, an academic degree in nature sciences should suffice tho : P

I am already curious how you are going to approach this since you will need to make a weighted graph for any approach that works on a formular.
Weighted-Graph

Ofc you could just sit down take every color and make a list of all close colors that mix to it, a lot of tedious work but that should work too on a lets say one or two step (a step as in distance to the goal color on the plot) approach.

Once I figure this out I will let you know, haha. The mixing part is going to be difficult for the exact reasons you have stated.

What I would like to do is simply break it down in to a plain english explanation for a start and then give some basic guidelines on mixing with some examples. I dont want to create a tool that gives the answers (i have no idea how to even create such a tool), but just explain it in a way that will de-mystify the whole thing so that people have a direction in which to start experimenting for themselves. I rarely use the cielab spreadsheet anymore for mixing now that I have a set of basic recipes for the colours I want that I can also deviate from.

For the longest time to me mutating seemed to follow no set of rules that I could fathom and besides a few lucky discoveries that i stumbled across i was simply brute forcing it with the target colour of gleam and a kernel that was close enough. But now that I understand it I think it can be simplified and some useful spreadsheets can be created to assist.

Again… I’m not sure how to share the knowledge… but I would like to share any that I easily can.

2 Likes

You could try to make something like this for all colors ^

1 Like

I was thinking more along the lines of simply:

Colour values are combined and averaged.
A simple explanation of the 3 values that make up a colour.
blue cancels yellow
red cancels green
White/black increase or decrease the “lightness” but also reduce the colour. Eg. Mixing black + a “strong” results in a “shadow” colour (or near to)
Etc, etc.

Just some simple examples. I’m at work typing on my phone so I’m far too lazy to expand upon this.

1 Like

Ok^^ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎

If you have any ideas whatsoever that might help please do feel free to share. I merely have a jumble of thoughts in my head that I need to somehow try and figure out how to share with others. The more that can actually be done in game rather than on external spread sheets the better too.

My friend put together a graph with some formulas that I have been testing with her and the mutation of goo so far has been spot on (excluding the RNG aspect). I’m not sure if she will be releasing this info or if she is just waiting until its 100% complete.

1 Like

Very cool! This is what I would like to but its way above my skill/knowledge level. Hopefully she does chose to share it eventually.

I’m slowly populating a spreadsheet (with input from a few friends) of the possible mutations for each of the 255 colours. Its a really brute force approach to figuring this information out so I look forward to seeing this all done in a much smarter way.

1 Like

I think once you try targeting a specific color you’ll come to understand that there’s a lot of time and work involved in getting that pigment. People aren’t just paying for the kernel, or the pigment, or the spray, they’re paying for the man hours involved in creating that item. Labor Cost…

125 per kernel - maybe you get 10 pigments of that particular color if you plant on rock. But more likely you’ll want to mutate that to something specific. Which takes a ton of time. I’ve been mutating hot/strong cherry to shadow red for two months? I have only about a two smart stacks of pigment. Let’s say 2000.

So maybe I can mix for that color. But mixing takes just as much time. Researching the various different combinations to make shadow red. Then, I can use whatever pigments i have, but may have to buy more at 125each. For example, after i ran out of my own pigments, I dropped 200k on additional pigments for ashen taupe mass craft. 1SS of each ingredient color. That yields 2.5 SS of target spray.

So now we’re at 2 months labor, 200k investment, and 4.5 SS of spray. If i sold that spray at 30 each I wouldn’t even get my investment back. Let alone pay for all the time and effort.

5 Likes

Really - I think this is a supply chain management issue.

The goo kernels are just too expensive to cheaply produce targeted colors in bulk amounts quickly. This drives up the price of both pigments and sprays.

I do harvest them myself when i can, but even then a few hours on an Exo might get me 200-300each of three different goos? Which… I then take back to mutate…

The mutated kernels? Maybe those are worth 125-150 each. So for perfectly mutated kernels that feels about right.

But for your random unwanted colors? Maybe 20-35c for the kernels? Same for random pigments. This would bring the price of sprays down making them more affordable and accessible to the average player.

For deflation to take effect though, we need more players in the market and it starts at the beginning of the supply chain. We need more people harvesting wild goo and selling it for 20-50c.

This would also allow more farmers to get started, more pigments on the market, bringing the price down all around.

The goo market feels rather young tbh so prices are high right now - and various people are doing R&D to perfect the mutation process. As the market matures and more people break into the business I think the price will eventually stabilize.

5 Likes