Explaining Footfall post Release 211

I did report an exploit yesteday, but I’m not sure if it’s the same exploit that you’re talking about. Of course I won’t talk about it until it’s fixed. Probably not even after since it was a comparatively minor and unremarkable one, but at least the one I found had no relation to footfall. There was also another… issue that I’m aware of that wasn’t exactly a beneficial exploit but still pretty bad, I’m sure that one too is high on their priority list and unwise to comment on. That too is not related to footfall.

At any given time I’m sure the devs have a bunch of those they’re trying to keep quiet and fix quickly before players start wreaking havoc because, well, it’s the internet, of course they would so I wouldn’t dwell too much on those. It’s pretty natural that we’d only hear bout those things after they’re fixed, if at all.

As Nick Fury once said, until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

LOL

Ok buddy, you know better than the devs! :joy:

You also know that this was a definite footfall nerf because that is then the only logical conclusion one could make with what we know how it’s being calculated NOW.

I don’t know what is true or not, all I know is this:

1. that devs recently still told us that it was still 24 days
  2. that devs told us that with all these changes people would either still get about the same amount or more depending on your build/location/etc.
  3. that with what the devs told us how things NOW work with how/when/what we will receive

So either 1) is a statement by the devs thats incorrect or 2) is and this has been a blatant nerf.

Take your pick, both is not possible

Also, I never called you a liar, you just keep telling everyone that you know things for a fact when they are not fact, you did some tests, good for you, doesn’t mean it sudenly becomes a fact, it’s something THAT YOU BELIEVE to be true.
Your tests might have been wrong, there might have been something severely amiss with the servers that needed constant resetting which your tests surely would not be able to account for, etc., etc.

Only the devs know what the facts are, not you, not me, without seeing the code…

Thing is tho, the devs are pretty darn quick usually with correcting us here on these forums and they aren’t correcting either of us now, makes one wonder…

It seems much lower. Too low. But given I don’t watch people coming and going all day, I have no idea if that’s just fewer visitors. Game isn’t very busy so perhaps it’s just that.

1 Like

Had a look, gotta admit you do have some nice items. Nice to see theres still some quality forging going on! 2nd most INCREDIBLE shop around. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you!

Today need to do a lot of non-hamer forging, haha, empty stands, I don’t like!

Yeah Noms 'n More is still my fave too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Did another quick bit of testing today.

New (ish) 11k prestige beacon, unlikely to be reached other than by a portal behind a locked door (its buried in the middle of nowhere in particular) in a 60c/visit settlement. It had a couple of visits by my other characters during construction a couple days ago but that was about it.

Dragged 20 characters there and the results were surprising.
It was a new beacon so none of the characters had visited previously, and the beacon owner (as usual) had no other beacons in that settlement, to cut down on those pesky variables.

The footfal given by each guinea pig (while my guy kept looking at the beacon and collecting as each visitor entered):

Test Subject Footfall Test Subject Footfall
1 96 11 84
2 96 12 84
3 96 13 84
4 96 14 84
5 96 15 84
6 84 16 72
7 84 17 72
8 84 18 72
9 84 19 72
10 84 20 72

So, with 20 tests, each visit being ~5 minutes apart due to travelling / switching, if time happens to turn out to be a factor, every single visit yielded more footfall than the ‘nominal’ 60c per visit from settlement size, but it seemed to go down progressively after a number of visits occurred.

I wonder if that’s intentional due to some sort of unpopularity buff, as the beacon had practically never been visited before due to being new, or if it was bugged and getting way more than it should, or what exactly happened.

I’ll try to run some more tests over the next few days, feel free to suggest things to test for if you’re interested in this sort of thing. :slight_smile:

I’ll try to get at least some of those visitors back after 24+ hours but before 5 days, and also some more new visitors, to see what happens when its mixed.

1 Like

Interesting, if they had to go through a portal to get to it, doesn’t that mean they hit another beacon first? Or was that first beacon one they had privileges in?

The entrance portal was in a different settlement.

One those alts had permissions in? Or one they also would’ve generated footfall for?

The alts had permissions at the time they ‘visited’ since I was using multiple of my guys for construction. I kept switching 'em for the daily xp thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Either way the beacon went for over a day without even the owner visiting, if it turns out that that’s a factor in reaching those higher-than-normal bonuses.

Interesting, so that makes me feel that it’s a 60% buff for first place visited, and a 12-15% rate of decay the more people have visited.

Also, as far as I know (with the big caveat of ‘unless it changed with 211’) the system counts visitors with permissions as ‘visited and generated 0’.

I know that a permitted visitor would start a cooldown for all beacons by the same character in the settlement even when generating zero, pre-211 at any rate.

So the update to footfall, where the intent was to provide more footfall to smaller beacons (if 10k prestige) and to not affect other beacons too much.

Why if you have 1,000,000 prestige in one beacon, OR 200,000 in one and 800,000 in another? Should you not still get rewarded in footfall the same amount? So efforts to build infrastructure outside of one beacon are in vain? Because you might be helping people but why reward your work? (Ok this is same as old, but still seems wrong?) Why be allowed to even place more beacons in one settlement? If you infrastructure builder, help to connect people it does not matter, you are not considered.

Also, if you have a shop, and don’t make many sales (who do?), but rely on a small amount of footfall to keep having fun in game, but all your footfall comes from only a handful of return customers, you will be punished because your small shop 500 blocks from main hub does not see many new faces, despite having people constantly through, just the same people who live near by you. Same for people who live on roads you made.

Or am I interpret wrong?

I don’t want to sound nasty, this has all just left me very depressed, work I have done is now for nothing more or less, and am feeling I should just tear down everything I have and leave the game despite hundreds of hours in the game. (as the small amount of footfall I used to make is now less than a tenth of what it was, and can not afford to shop around to improve shop, or buy new materials to make builds).

If it’s working as intended, I believe you’re misinterpreting it.

The only difference with roads is in how they cannot force settlements to merge, that’s the only ‘special’ thing that happens at a road beacon as opposed to a regular beacon. HOWEVER… there’s a couple of problems that bad roads can cause:

1 - if the road is in the state ‘bridges multiple settlements’ (and therefore the game doesn’t know from which to pull the prestige information) then if a visitor first ‘visits’ the road beacon, then that person will not generate any footfall only in beacons owned by the road owner in either settlement, because it’ll trigger the 24 hour cooldown of ‘already visited a beacon by this person today’.

2 - if the road has under 10k prestige, same situation, again only when visiting other beacons owned by the guy that owns the road in the same settlement. This is untested but high probability.

As far as I can think of, those are the only two problems that a road can cause. And in the first case you just gotta add more plots until the road merges the settlements, or remove plots until it no longer touches two different settlements. In the second case its even easier, just bury some prestige-generating stuff under it.

Other than that, roads generate (or should generate) footfall the same way as any other beacon, with the same restriction that the same visitor can’t generate footfall for multiple beacons that have the same owner in the same settlement.

Edit: Also, the footfall is still (as before) based on the total prestige of the settlement, it just has the restriction that only beacons with a minimum of 10k prestige (pretty easy, about 50 machined iron sorts that out) can generate footfall. After that it doesn’t matter if the person touched your road or your shop, it would generate the same coins for a 10k beacon as it would for a 500k beacon. It’s the settlement prestige that matters for how much they generate.

Thats how its always worked. If you have beacons owned by alts you will get multiple per visitor, but its always been 1 beacon per character per settlement.

fair enough, but now I am even sadder, cause that would have helped explain footfall loss.

Yeah, there’s a bit of a situation with reduced footfall from repeat visitors I think, but as far as I know no one has tested how that works yet. Its supposed to be a 5 day cooldown in addition to the 24 hour cooldown, I believe, where visiting the same place multiple days during the 5 day cooldown would generate a reduced amount of coin.

Not sure by how much it is reduced.

About it being more than 60c per visitor we’ve been told multiple times to ignore the section that says coin per visitor since it no longer works that way

I know that, its just that so far I had only seen less, and not more, that’s why I thought those results were interesting. :stuck_out_tongue:

They are still making this way too complicated.

Just make is a set footfall per visitor, every 24 hours and call it done. All this scaling stuff is helping nothing and adding needless complexity…

4 Likes