Explaining Footfall post Release 211

12999c is 5k less than you think they still cost. I started with foods, then brews, the prices are dropping so much now that I am starting to wonder why I bother. Lately I’ve started selling forged gear, that’s still sells well but I do see a significant slowdown as compared to over a week ago.

How do driends’s beacons get counted?

I receive zero coin from a friend (with zero permissions) enters my beacon.

Yet, are they counted towards the number of visitors which reduces the amount of coin I could potentially get from other visitors who have the potential to give footfall?

2 Likes

Forge item aren’t ressesion proof, 3x3 T6 hammer are now 13k they dropped at least 5-6k same as advanced coils or gems at 50c

Ouch.

Still, adds to my point if even forged gem gear is dropping that fast.

Abd I’m shopping the wrong stores. (As if I can afford 12k)

I literally have a thread about monetary velocity already posted. You cannot print your way to a sound economy, but asking for the “super rich” to save you reeks of trickledown economics, which doesn’t work. Literally, it doesn’t work.

You need a stimulus package that encourages the behaviors you want to see and discourages the behaviors you don’t want to see.

I’m on mobile but here is a short list off the top of my head:

Good behaviors:
Spending money at shop stands
Putting money in request baskets
Visiting other plots
Making finished goods and selling them
Buying intermediate goods and making finished goods
Gathering and Selling raw materials

Bad behaviors:
Relisting other people’s products’
Hoarding coin / ultra rare resources
Shutting down portal networks

The economy is the lifeblood of the game, otherwise there wouldn’t be an incentive to have a community. Fix the economy and stimulate the inflation we need. We need coin coming in, and it needs to support the good behaviors above. Daily quest/task rewards need to be substantially increased or some other currency generator added.

1 Like

Edit: dodgey 3x3 T6 hammers that make you bounce and only work when the sun is out are 13k.

2 Likes

Incorrect. I forge and sell t6 hammers with quirks (bonus speed, less energy usage, underwater breathing on average) for 7.4k

I Never make bouncy feet tools as they will kill you. And I don’t actively try to kill my customers. I would advertise my shop but I sell. More than enough tools as it is and don’t plan on upping the amount of things I make just to supply the whole world since everyone thinks it still costs 10k+ to make t6 tools.

You know what another term for “Trickle Down Economics” is?..Economics.

All economics are “trickle down” (stupid leftist phrase). That’s how economies work. Econ 101.

But this isn’t a true economy so that phrase is irrelevant. What you need are “Big Fish”. The people who actually have the money to buy the things you are selling.

A video game economy needs infusion of “fake capitol” and the way that works in Boundless is footfall. You want to fix the economy, increase the infusion rate.

We are in desperate need of inflation to make running a shop profitable again.

Again, high tide raises all ships. It doesn’t matter who is getting the money. As long as it’s coming in, and everyone is getting at least some boost, it’s better for everyone in the long run.

It’s the same reason tax cuts always boost the economy. It doesn’t matter how much less the “rich” are being taxed. As long as everyone is paying less (making more) the financial benefits for everyone in the long run far exceeds the actually cash money amount you receive in the moment.

2 Likes

Just so we are clear, Trickle Down Economics is an accepted terminology for supply-side economics. It is also known in the US as Reganomics and is frequently derided given that by the time Clinton took office, he increased taxes and showed record job growth. Ultimately, supply-side economics has some good ideas on paper but in practicality, they do not appear to work.

As far as “this isn’t a true economy” - it is. Money is exchanged for goods or services. That is all it takes to make an economy. And just like the US, small businesses are the engine that fuels an economy - not big fish. We don’t see “employees” from centless or aquatopia buying materials, we see lots of “mom and pop” shops that want to open up. What we lack is a banking sector to stimulate small business growth.

Relying on footfall for capital infusion is not reliable and doesn’t truly stimulate business growth. We need an active system that players participate in and encourages a positive feedback loop of economic growth. We have all the elements in the game, we just need the developers to turn the faucet on.

The one point I agree with is that we do need inflation. We need more monetary velocity and more free capital overall. Though who is getting it absolutely matters.

5 Likes

Actually in the USA Ronald Reagan was a proponent of trickle down economics and he would hardly be considered leftist. In that case it failed to deliver and just made the upper class wealthier.

I would agree that currently there is not enough cash in the game. The developers are in essence the central bank and they are the ones that can put coin into the game. So far, the footfall has not been a reliable source of coin and only delivers coin to a segment of the population so I am not sure that is the best source over the long term.

To be specific, I was talking about the term, not the policy. The term is what his opponents saddled it with.

@LyndaFromHR was right to call it supply-side economics, but I didn’t think anyone would know the term.

And we don’t know if it would have worked. Bush Sr. messed it up before it had time to flower. Reagonomics was supposed to be a long term plan for slow, gradual growth. Not a quick boost.

1 Like

Come to Finata Pawn Shop, I have 144 in stock. same pricing at New Leyden Market from various seller, same goes for gyosha mall multiple seller at 13k no defect, no quirk otherwise they sell below 10k with quirk and defect.

1 Like

Probably true, but in any case it did not work. There was not enough economic growth to cover the tax cuts. So even though we have a different type of economy, there is not an instance I am aware of where this worked out for a government.

I am honestly concerned about inflation in the game. Since the coin stream especially for new players is pretty fixed, do we really need an iron hammer to cost 1000c in two years? This will make it really hard on new players to be able to afford anything. I am concerned that we are looking at it from where we are and not what the effect will be in a year or so. It is not like the developers are going to be raising the coin received for the various objectives and quests to match the Boundless Inflation Value (Or BIV) @Biv get it :grin:

I will agree that we need more coin flowing into the game. I will also agree that sooner would be better than months from now. EDIT: Especially with the coin sink they introduced with the guild buffs.

(replying to no one in particular)

The problem as I see it is twofold: we went thru a bit of recession while servers were stable and the cooldown was broken to 24 days, which drained (via tax primarily) some coin from circulation. Quite possibly people with good incomes noticed this trend and cut down on spending and started hoarding, saving for the rainy days surely to come, but that’s conjecture. That was late september to november as I recall.

The fix did come, a bit belatedly (first week of december or so), was stealthy, and many people don’t even believe it happened, but yes we had a bit of over a month of ‘old days’ style cash infusion with the default per-visitor value and 24 hour timers. How many people actually had enough of an income to notice this and for it to make a difference? I know I did, for one, but I’m probably a bit on the wealthy side at the moment. Did the small beacon owner or the little guy in the boonies see this? I doubt it made much of a difference for them.

Now here we are, and that was just the recession, which was problem one.

Problem two is hinted at in there: the gap between the footfall income brackets. If as some suggest, there was a flat multiplication of the footfall coins per prestige bracket, then the gap stays the same size. The guy in the boonies is making maybe 300c-500c a week, while a few others are making a few hundred thousand a day (or whatever number the metrics are telling the devs, which is likely what prompted this change after the month+ of 24 hour cooldowns).

I would think that that curve should be a bit smoother, as right now it seems more like a wall. If inflation is desired then fine, but they can’t be both inflated linearly or the gap continues to be just as wide, and then we just shift everything one additional zero to the right (for the 10x suggestion or whatever).

Now, if they were to come up with a system that boosts the lower-bracket income by, say, 10, and the upper income bracket by, say, 3… then at least the gap gets smaller, but still everyone would be happier.

My concern is really that the purchasing power of the people that can’t be as dedicated to the game as some of us hardcores are needs to be improved. The higher income brackets already have that purchasing power, and just saying ‘oh they should just gather for the rich’ doesn’t address the issue that they may be in a lower income bracket simply because they can’t (or don’t want to) dedicate as much time/effort to the game as the hardcores. And then the people that can’t (or won’t) throw 5 hours a day at the game just to afford tools simply leave, making things worse for all involved. We need the casuals too, and we need to keep 'em rather than milk 'em and then dispose of 'em.

I don’t know, it’s late, I’m tired, and that’s just my two coins worth. Bit of a wall of text there, oops.

5 Likes

LOL, no!

At Original Forgeries at New Leyden Market (shameless plug needed apparently!) is selling quirk less forged gear for 12999c.

Sometimes there might a little defect, if it’s a bad one, price goes a tad lower. But this doesn’t happen too often at all so like 95% of the things I sell are also without defects (otherwise they are listed in red colour on the sign).

Come get your forged gear quirkless and cheap at Orignal Forgeries!

Also, there is more than 1 shop selling forged items at New Leyden Market, 4 in total actually!

PowerForge sells defectless and quirkless tools for 13k.
Slingshot Depot sells cheap slings of all the gem types neatly sorted by perks.
Boomer’s Bombs sells all kinds of forged things that go BOOM!
Original Forgeries sells everything! (including titanium gear for 2299c, sometimes has quirks, yes, different and cheaper method used for these)

1 Like

You keep repeating that but comments from devs prove otherwise. Who’se info do I trust more you think?

What you believe or not is entirely immaterial to the reality of what happened. :slight_smile:

And what you believe is entirely opposite of what devs have said recently…

I have pointed it out once before to you, even quoted it I think…

What the reasons are for their miscommunication about it, I cannot speculate upon, but I’ll refer to post 8 (by yours truly) on this very topic in reply, and quoting, james’ original post, and the relevant section about running both the 24-hour cooldown system and the recently implemented system in parallel without telling the players to analyze the metrics.

Perhaps in my part of the boundless universe they were testing the 24 hour cooldown and in yours they weren’t, who knows, but for me it had been working on a 24 hour timer for quite a while. That’s not belief or opinion, it’s simply the way the game was behaving according to my testing.

Or they could tie coin generation to a set of in-game activities you do each day, instead of trying to code footfall, and instead spend all that time making new content?

1 Like