Fading away again

Well, I dont want them to be abundant and I do not mind grinding, BUT grinding for several hours should be rewarded.
There is something very wrong with the regeneration at this very moment.

When they reset it so all ores are newly generated then people go for a gem-hunt for hours and stockpile all they can get.
Then other people after that will have a very hard time to find gems.

Again, the regeneration is the problem. (You see it with iron too)

If they don’t fix that accordingly then after a few weeks the same issue will occur.

Now I can barely find enough gems to make a tool out of while others are using gem blocks for decoration.
Well… that to me is wrong and made me close my shop.

I already removed my entire shop as a result of that.

1 Like

Ehm, planets are very wide and big, might have to switch mining locations. Boundless was never meant for it to mine the same location time and time again. It just doesn’t go well with exploration. Search for a new location.

In boundless is not about mining for hours, it’s about mining smart

I did try several locations and I followed the forum post where to find gems. I am not that dumb you know.

Well anyway, I gave up on gems and will do building alone for a while.

2 Likes

I am not sure what kind of resource economy uses. What @SWProzee1 is describing is the fixed resource model, where there can only be a fixed amount of resource in game at any one given time. The good thing about this model is that inflation will not happen. The bad thing is all it takes is for 1 player to start hogging resources and the whole game will collapse because no one can find resources anywhere else.
However, if that is not the case, then the resources could be spawning somewhere players have yet to discover, or are unreachable at the moment, for example under the lava surface. Yeah, try mining that. And, if this is the case then the resource regen algorithm may have to be revised to prevent the game from doing that. In any case, @SWProzee1 you are welcome to come help me build up this little Andooweem town anytime. It can sure use a few more buildings to make it look like a town to give it that small town feeling.

Well thats the main question, how the resources will regenerate? Will they disappear/appear in new locations even if nobody touched them? We surely know that every block will regenerate where it was, except for fossils, ancient techs, coals, metals and gems (so resources), right? Lets say there are 50 diamonds on a planet, I mine them out, and next time the 50 diamonds will be at other spots, thats clear. But if they will appear under a lava lake then 99% that nobody will find them. Will they relocate after a time or they will stay under that unreachable location until somebody mine it out? @james can you help us?

If gems are your main concern, I’d be happy to show you the location I’m getting diamonds at right now. They are quite abundant. Also, if you find the right spot on alturnik, the caves are filled with emeralds.

1 Like

Each world has a resource configuration which defines the probability of each resource spawning, and other details about where and how they spawn. The resource regenerator uses these probabilities when selecting the resources to spawn. It doesn’t take into account the outstanding number of each resource in the world. So if gems were never mined on a world, but everything was, then the # of gems will gradually increase. The balancing discussed in the past hooks in at a later stage via the player activity metrics we track. Based on analysing this data we can manually reduce or increase the spawning rates.

11 Likes

So for the time being, if i am understanding this correctly,

If I was mining on Vulpto, and during this time I mined
300 copper,
690 iron,
and only 10 rubies

and the resource regenerator’s probability table had this assignment for rubies

ruby spawn = 10% (just for the sake of argument)
copper = something%
iron = something%
etc.

It would would replace the 1000 missing resources with a configuration based entirely on that probability, without taking into account which ones I mined. So when the resources regenerate it might spawn around 100 rubies into the world, despite having only mined 10 of them (and the rest would be decided by the respective probablities of those resources).

2 Likes

9 Likes

Thanks for the answer!