Farming: Does anyone bother with it?

I have a small vertical farm near my workshop and harvest it every couple of days. I use what I need to and put the rest in shop stands in Farm Her Mark It in the Illuminaughty mall on Trior.

It doesn’t get too tedious because it’s small and occasional, and the footfall from a regularly refilled mall shop is nice :smiley:

I just restocked if you want to by produce or a handful of seeds.

The key is to build a farm you enjoy managing :wink: just like in real life hehe

Building giant farms is cool, but if harvesting a huge farm is boring for you…why do it?

I built small farms that I like to harvest. It is fun! Would love a forged Tiller still though hehe.

8 Likes

I’m going to make a beautiful inorganic kindling farm to rake in 10k every 30 mins :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

2 Likes

You know at one point I plotted a large area intending it to be a ‘sharecropper’ sort of thing. I’d build out the enormous farm and give you permissions to harvest/plant in your section and I’d get the footfall. Would save you time and I’d get to make coin doing something I actually like doing - building stuff!

Anyway nothing ever came of it because the prices for farmed produce fell through the floor because everyone built their own giant farms. I’m not sure why people bother building their own farms these days, you can buy produce for pennies.

1 Like

I did the exact thing as you said, did pre made farms for people but ended up just making custom ones. They chose crops and I built them and are. Made one for the infamous @DKPuncherello just last week.

1 Like

I have a good size waxy earthyam farm to produce wax since I like to use decorative stone, I have also started producing other plants. I just don’t harvest the plants every time, but I mostly do it before I need it.

1 Like

I like farming, Though at the moment most of what I have made for farms is empty as I am in the process of slowly… oh oh oh so very slowly making seeds to be able to fill it lol. I figure in a few months I will have the roughly 600 seeds I need to swap it over to sustain.

What sort of seeds are you growing? Kindling?

kindling, exotic yams are the two main ones I am trying to make, Still need to make the field for waxy, but then don’t have many of those either. lol
To expensive to buy, so just slowly making more with the max seed setups.

Kindling farm:

Well, I might have almost 15k seeds for sale soon…

3 Likes

The kindling I can understand, but the exotic yam seeds are easy enough to find on Circapous and waxys are everywhere I thought?

I just needs time to get out past my base lol. Like only 30min to an hour a day for 2 weeks thanks to work hours.

1 Like

Ah yes I can understand that. If you like I can donate some exotic and waxy seeds as I don’t use them.

Let me know if you do end up selling those seeds, I’m looking to double my farm and that would help.

My farms are pretty small since my build is situated in a forest full of massive trees and I’d prefer to keep their trunks intact (though I’ve had to rebuild a few trunks along the edges of my fields to avoid floating trees). Most of these farms are currently optimized for seed production. I also have a few farms which mainly exist for decoration which are rarely harvested. Inorganic crops are grown on a very small scale in my shop just for fun.

I enjoy managing my little farms, but couldn’t imagine dealing with some of the larger fields I’ve seen while out and about. As others have said, it would be great to have a way to add AoE to tillers and seed bags (AoE boons for fertiliser might be nice, too).

3 Likes

I built large farms of most of the useful produce. I harvested them all for some time, but it is just too time consuming to farm them constantly and at this point I no longer farm them, but I do have a stock pile of roughly 30k starberries and exotic earthyams at this point.

The issue isn’t really with the harvesting, it is with the planting. You can harvest using a 3x3 hammer and fairly quickly harvest. But then you have to plow your fields again (for certain crops this is pretty much a requirement, for others this can be bypassed), and then you must individually plant every single seed. Even with a character focused on planting speed it just takes too long to replant everything. It would likely take me several hours to go through every one of my farms and if I spend all of my time doing that, I can’t do the other things I enjoy in the game, as all of my time ends up being used to farm.

So all said and done it is just too time consuming to really focus on it due to the replanting mechanism.

@Alchemist should gather exotic seeds off the lush exos -the also collectible on Circ 1

1 Like

I wish I’d bothered with it sooner so I’d have the knack by now but I’m pushing myself to learn; it is so much less grindy than non-stop gathering, and I’m starting to build for the fun of building instead of just having burrows & huts to hide/hoarde/make food/etc and gathery parks. Farming definitely is freeing me up to think about possibilities. I know that that is never not the option with Boundless, I probably would have spent months in my happy muddy river shack on Raxxa eating cooked berries and getting excited about copper tools had I not stumbled toward some lights and a portal to a big city off in the distance. :slight_smile: I have barely begun to tap into the goodness of farming and it’s already reealllllly sweet return for the work put in for me.

1 Like

But boy oh boy does 30k starberries sound like an awesome place to get to before moving on :wink:

SEED BOMBS! (just like in real life!)