Farming Update for PS4

So I was hoping that there was some kind PC players out there, that have been using the Test servers for farming.

Obviously, us PS4 players are unable to use the test server :sob: So if anyone could share tips/pictures of farming set ups, so that we could build and prepare our farming areas, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have checked videos out, such as jiivitas etc but none of them describe the layout of the water/soil/lighting.

Thanks

Nawty :v:t3:

1 Like

I know the farming update posts are long but they have all the data you are looking for. Tho maybe @Kal-El @Stretchious @Mayumichi wouldn’t mind reposting their data/tips in here so it’s easier to find/see

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve looked through some of it, but it’s so hard to find anything intuitive without having played the test server. If that makes sense.

Hard to follow unless you’ve had a play with it, if that makes sense

Layout screenshots would be super helpful! :smile:

1 Like

https://boundless.mayumi.fi/farming/

Parses the crop data to an easier format. I try my best to keep it up to date with testing updates.

10 Likes

Head exploded :brain::boom:

1 Like

With the change to allow optimizing for crops or seeds to yams and berries there have been a few changes, mostly to the berries. I am trying to get just 100% seed return and the whatever I can on the crop. We are still waiting to see the changes to the inorganics, oats, wheat and rice. Once we have those then it will be easier to provide complete layouts. I actually need to harvest today to see what I did get versus my expectations.

1 Like

Well when you have a picture of optimal layouts please share it. I have an empty enclosure right now waiting to be filled with the soil/space for water/gleam

Awesome, thanks for this, really appreciate all the stuff you do!! :smiley:

I have been using mostly layout like this on testing. This works when working with same plant type or with plants that like same near blocks.

Here is screenshot examples of rice farm, it is not perfect because I didn’t set water sources on chiselled mud channels.

Rice field, no water

Rice field with water flow

Rice is maybe bad example on screenshots because it likes to have water on it while it is growing. Another plants just like water to be near it. you can apply same dry layout but have set water on chiseled mud channel.

I haven’t done much gleam effecting to growing times but did now few tests with different colors to one plant type.

Table of how gleam effects to wheat growing times (ripe time 11h in details)

Wheat Wheat Wheat Wheat Wheat Gleam
2d 23h 1d 16h 1d 1h 17h 11h 45min White, raw
1d 9h 21h 45min 14h 45min 11h 11h White, refined
21h 45min 14h 45min 11h 11h 11h White, lantern
1w 2d 17h 3d 13h 1d 20h 1d 3h 18h 15min Cool Blue, raw
2d 18h 1d 13h 1d 16h 11h Cool Blue, refined
1d 13h 1d 13h 45min 11h 11h Cool Blue, lantern
- - - - 1w 19h Silk yellow, raw
- - 2w 2d 16h 4d 20h 2d 10h Silk yellow, refined
- 5w 3d 23h 4d 18h 2d 14h 1d 11h Silk yellow, lantern
Screenshot of gleam underground setup

If you plan to farm outside you don’t need gleam.
You could also set gleam above of plants, but I feel it is not practical.

3 Likes

The data in there is up-to-date actually, but it doesn’t seem to contain the new changes. I didn’t get a response to this a few days ago.

edit: Got it working, the latest data is visible there now.

The balance data on Testing is still a work-in-progress. There will be definitely be more changes before this goes Live, particularly with the Nuts, Grains, Fuels and Goo.

(Obviously - it’s cool to learn about the new systems - but don’t lock down your farms just yet!!)

3 Likes

Obviously, playing with it you get a feel for farm structure etc.

In terms of when the update drops on console, will there be an adequate tutorial or at least perhaps something explaining the mechanics and workings?

For farming outside, do we have to factor nigh time in for growth %?

I think that james or luca did write something that under natural light night time wouldn’t matter. Maybe best to look up their posts or ask them directly :smiley:

Adding here, growing refresh chance happens every boundless day, so I night shouldn’t matter. Haven’t done tests with that recently and don’t know how much sunlight comes from sides when you block it little, but I understood that light system has enhanced to match now so that players and plants “see” same light.

There are a new set of Farming Objectives and Farming Tips.

The objectives in Boundless should take you through all of its features.

The Farming objectives are currently:

• Farmer Farming: It’s said agriculture is a wise pursuit, so grab some Seeds and sow, sow, sow. With Farming you can cultivate your very own useful Resources in your Beacon and gain a ready stash of Foods and Crafting Ingredients! Most basic Crops can be found in the Wild and will drop Seeds for you to plant and grow over time. Selecting Item Details on a Seed in your Inventory will tell you the ideal growing conditions for a Crop.
  • Farmer Advanced Farming: By improving Crop growing conditions you can increase the harvesting Yield of those Crops. One of the best ways to improve Organic Crop Yield is by using a Hand Tiller to Till the Soil before planting. Pay attention to each Crops different needs.
  • Farmer Farming Fertilisers: Fertilisers are used to speed up the growth cycle of Crops. To Craft each variety of Fertiliser you will need rare types of Liquids which can be found only on Exoworlds. Organic Crops can be Fertilised with any type of Fertiliser, where as you’ll need High-Octane Cultivator for Inorganic Crops.
  • Farmer Painter: Colour Sprays can be used to re-colour some individual Blocks and Items, and make for a handy way to discover new colour tints without the need to visit a wide variety of Worlds (although World-hopping can be fun and extremely rewarding).
  • Farmer Dye Maker: Looking for a more colourful Beacon Base? Goo Pigment harvested from Goo can be used to create Colour Sprays using the Pigment Processor. Take those Colour Sprays and use them to Tint individual Blocks or Items. Not all materials can be Colour Sprayed.
  • Farmer Goo Farming: Goo Kernels can be found in the Wild on Elemental or Lucent Exoworlds and can be used to grow the right Ingredients to Craft Colour Sprays. Goo Kernels absorb the colour of the Block on which they grow Wild, and when planted will alter their tint towards that of the World’s Atmosphere. To view the affects which a World’s Atmosphere will have on Goo, look at the World Details information in the Places Menu.
  • Farmer Kranuts: Kranut, the inedible nut that proves to be a handy source of rare materials such as Bark and Brew Oils. You’ll find Kranuts on harsher Lush Worlds and occasionally Elemental Worlds. This tough nut prefers to be grown near Amber.
  • Farmer Fuels: The Known Worlds are home to many a mystery, few more unusual than the ability to plant and grow Inorganic Crops. Two such Crops are Combustion Particle, which can be Crafted into powerful Fuel Sources and Kindling Shred which can be used to Enrich other Fuel Sources to speed up Spark generation. Both Crops like to be sown away from direct sunlight, on unusual surface types and can only be Fertilised with High-Octane Cultivator.
  • Farmer Fuels Advanced: Time to put those Combustion Particles and Kindling Shreds to good use. Harvest those Fuel Crops and experience the wonder of advanced Fuels.
7 Likes

Shouldnt you have…you know…Weekend or somesuch?

1 Like