Fatal Error 31 mad

If you can share a game log we can try and help
work out what is failing.

1 Like

As I said before there are no game logs, I looked where he said to look and no folder is there

Don’t let one bug with STEAM make you cut off your nose to spite your face. You really will be missing out on a lot.

Try the following;

1. Update Steam, make sure your not running the experimental build.
  2. Re-download and install boundless, may need to repeat this step after disabling your antivirus
  3. Add boundless and steam to your antivirus and firewall exceptions list
  4. Set steam to always run as admin(google how to do this)
  5. Check the game on a different connection, for example try using your phones internet tethered to your computer instead of your wired or other wifi connection. This is to ensure a rougher or other system isn’t causing steam to not be able to authenticate. Maybe go to a friends house.

Trust me, I am not new to troubleshooting internet/programs, I have tried everything listed including disabling all antivirus/windows firewall, also installed a fresh windows install on an old laptop I had around and then downloaded boundless and tried there still no luck. There is no way this is a problem on my end, Ive even called my provider to see if they were blocking it for some reason and they werent

I have never in my 13 years of playing steam games ran into this problem.

It’s a Steam API issue, boundless cant confirm ownership and Steam linkage.

Then I guess it’s going to be a learning curve. I had some issues with a friends MacBook Pro, turns out some of his ports were being blocked by the roughter so I ended up having to pass the ports on the firewall to fix it.

What kind of connection do you use? Maybe try the alternate connection first since it’s quickest.

I tried a DMZ for my desktop along with making sure all steam ports were open way long ago

Trust me I already read that and there is nothing useful in the forum

@james Can you maybe check by hand if what does steam-api return for @ZxElement’s game? Maybe it’s some edge case, exception you are not handling correctly?

If need be I can provide full desktop specs/ steam ign/ and internet connections along with IP/s and provider. But I will not release the info in a form, must be from a direct message.

Look I don’t mean to be that stout spitter that keeps finding his way into your build but everyone here is trying to help you, they don’t have to but there choosing to. Your going to have to start being nicer to the community because this game has a really good community, something I feel games have been missing for a while. So can the negative attitude and you may find a different outlook on things changes things for you.

The issue is most likely with steam or something with your personal system or connection. Work through the list I gave you earlier, if nothing there resolves it wait for the devs to investigate. The devs here are really good, but there on UK time so often they don’t reply for a while. Worst comes to it you have to wait a little before you can play, but there are many people who will help you catch up and donate resources because people in this game are generally quite nice.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why the game isn’t writing a log. That’s highly unusual.

You could try opening a command prompt and typing “echo %localappdata%” to verify the directory is correct.

There is a microsoft utility called procmon:

You can use this to filter and find out where the log file is being written or what error is happening when boundless is trying to write it.

1 Like

Its not negativity thats the issue, ive been working at this for 3 days with no luck and very little help or info for anyone. I dont see how im being rude when you ask me to do something, and I tell you I have already tried. Nor have I been rude to anyone else here. Its situations like this that keep good developers down. There shouldve been an Open beta to allow devs to see any troubleshooting that needs to be done before releasing the game, because with games there is no such thing as finished. Im not bashing the developers becuase I can tell they have spent time with the game trying to get it right but the issue is if people keep having these issues a lot of people will just say screw it and request a refund on steam, instead of like me who is trying to help push the developers to find a way to fix it. Im not upset with whats happening just trying to get down to the bottom of this so more people see and understand how to fix it. I was there at the beginning of Warframe (IMO the best game out there) helping Devs figure out what issues they had and posting forums just like this to help them before they released the game. Basically what im saying is this shouldve been an issue that was taken care of before the release.

Alright, I havent tried this yet but I will try now.

1 Like

My apologies but this and the lack of saying thank you to anyone trying to help you and the amount of negative replies from you in this thread sort of paints a different picture. Sorry if I’ve misread this, but we’re all just trying to help and we see what we see.

Maybe try a tracert on the steam api servers? Maybe there is a broken connection in the roughting from your connection. Maybe try a service like NoLag to tunnel and see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

There was a beta, you got an issue very few others have seen, we can say “should have been taken care of before release” but we all know just simple it is to make a bugless 1.0 don’t we? Especially as a Warframe fan.

1 Like

This is, from the looks of it, a very edgy edge case. If I read @lucadeltodecso correctly, it looks like game (boundless.exe) can’t communicate with steam-api, an internet service run by steam that responds to many things, like for example authentication. But it is not a simple web request from what I know. Game uses a dll library provided by steam, and that library is communicating with steam client on your PC, which in turn communicates with steam servers.

It’s very hard to troubleshoot what is broken in this chain, especially for someone who does not have access to game code :stuck_out_tongue: But something is failing, and procmon linked by @simyod may help to narrow down.

But I base what I wrote on my programming knowledge, and a dev post here in this topic. And without knowing the internals of the game, how api calls to steam are handled… i cant think of anything other than procmon.

Solved the issue, IDK if it was something that I did but I went into the game folder, deleted the api dlls then verified data in steam, once that was done I went into the json file and changed steam from true to false, started game, closed game, changed the json back to true, then restarted computer. tried logging in 3 times and the first 2 times failed then it worked on the 3rd try. not sure if it was something I did or what but its now working

8 Likes