I recently bought this game and I have been playing almost 100 hours. There are many things I absolutely love in this game but some design decisions on live and testing are making me a bit worried about the future of this game. I have played already so much but I feel like I haven’t really progressed in the game and honestly, I’m getting a bit tired of all this. The game is so slow paced I feel it’s gonna put off many players. I want this game to succeed so I here I’ve gathered a few points from my play experience and suggestions to improve to make this game more fun and appealing for new players.
Experience on live server:
- Rich landscapes are very pleasing to explore
- Chisel system opens up a lot of possibilities for builders
- Portals and connected worlds make for fun interactions
- Player created economies and structures make a truly unique mmo experience
- Crafting is slow but mass crafting and careful planning makes it bearable. Also teaming up and pooling resources helps.
- Not much to do but it’s still pre-alpha so I understand.
- Mining is way too slow
- Little improvement on durability or mining speed on higher tier materials makes anything other than stone tools a poor choice. Gem tools are so expensive to make that they should have at least twice the speed and durability.
- Finding gems is increasingly more difficult. They’re supposed to be rare but if they keep getting rarer it’s gonna make it way too hard. Maybe if they wouldn’t get more rare but instead would appear in random places. You would have to search for new places to mine and more likely end up in the hands of more players instead of going to the richest people.
- New skill system gives some nice progression choices
- Objectives teach you how to progress in the game. Especially good for players new to the genre.
- Beacon powering makes unused structures disappear over time but is still cheap enough for you not to worry about grinding fuel for it.
- Having to take skills for certain crafting recipes is kind of pointless since finding the materials for crafting them serve already as a blocker. I don’t see it as a big problem and might result in more collaboration and trading so that might not be such a bad thing. Although I feel this kind of goes against the nature of the genre where everything is supposed to be boundless (pun intended).
- The already unbearable mining speed made even worse. The speed on live should’ve been the base level. Increasing stats to make it faster doesn’t really justify it when the base is so slow. Everything is so slow in testing that my friend who had played for 112 hours in live didn’t even finish the tutorial.
- Walking is way too slow and I doubt people will put up with that for too long. Sure things can be improved with skills but it doesn’t really make sense for this to be so slow at the start.
- Core functionality such as sprint, creep, joining a clan, etc. gamers are used to having from the get go are barred behind a skill tree. These should be available right from the start.
- Jumping is so slow it feels like slow motion. Not very realistic if you ask me.
Criticizing without giving out any suggestions to improve it would be stupid. I did mention a few improvements in the points mentioned above but I’ll go further in detail so here’s a few suggestion that would make the game much more fun to play:
Make things faster
The slow mining and even slower thing in testing make a poor gameplay. No one wants to walk for hours just to find a mountain to mine just to learn how slow it is to mine. Live is just bearable but could be faster. Having the speed that you have in live could act as the base level and with stats you could improve it. I know this isn’t Minecraft but this is just way too slow for anything to be enjoyable. Also taking down blocks should be faster if you have placed them yourself. Dismantling a house that you built in a few minutes takes hours to take down. Maybe have a skill for builders which allows you to remove a block after a certain period of time after placing it. That would help builders design cooler things faster. Also shorten the amount of time to remove blocks you have placed yourself would make it easier but not sure how easy it would be to implement code wise.
Slow and expensive crafting should have equally good rewards
Currently crafting is so slow and expensive it barely makes up for the effort put into it. Coupled with slow mining, it is barely worth it to use anything else than stone tools unless you’re swimming in it. Different tiered tools should have much faster speeds and durability to make up for the effort. -1 hit for upgrading to copper from stone is not worth it. At least increase the swing speed too to make up for the extra effort and more expensive material. In testing it’s actually even worse since swing gets lower when you use stone tools compared to wood for instance. (don’t know about higher tier materials as I didn’t play for too long in testing)
So here are a few things I enjoyed and pain points that I had while playing the game. I absolutely love the whole idea and vision for the game so I’d hate for all this go to waste. I hope this feedback will make the game more better and give you some insight from a new player’s perspective. If you have any questions or would like me to clarify some stuff or anything, just leave a comment. Good luck to the dev team, you’ve done an amazing job so far.