Feedback on new players

Got both kids here sharing an account, and getting some valuable insight into the struggles for younger players!

I’ll update with anything they come up with.

One issue came up today where the 7 year old had to buy all the items in a stand because it wasn’t obvious to use the radial selector.

The other issue with the tutorial was that on low resolution, the text was very fat/bold to read, and made it harder for the older lad to read. I wonder if there’s a typography/UI/UX improvement that would help there.

17 Likes

I’m glad someone else is worried about the general experience of the game and accessibility. Boundless has a lot of room for improvement there, and not only for the younger player base.

3 Likes

7 year old : How do i remove the plot to move the beacon?

:wink:

If devs want me to pm this feedback, rather than bump this while they onboard, just say!

1 Like

I think it’s best to have it public - so others can agree / disagree and propose improvements.

Keep it coming.

7 Likes

Workbench : 11 year old, puts the bits down in random places.
Forge: puts the top/bottom parts separately also

1 Like

Whats your kids background for games?
Have they played minecraft etc?

Theres not rly right or wrong with workbench you learn as you go.
Forge… so they thought its just 2 pieces? Didnt quite get that.

There could be some sort of tip etc that tells machines are made with 4 parts.

When i see example workbench in crafting table i assume its the workbench. It should maybe be workvench part etc.

1 Like

Radial slider is nice but it can be frustrating old school type in amount would be best as a first choice then radial slider can be a option we turn on if we like it that way.

2 Likes

Lol I did the same when I first started… same with the furnace… I thought I was going to cook with the firepit and brew with the crucible… but I think the names have changed since then to make this more apperent

3 Likes

They play a lot of Roblox/Minecraft/Overwatch/Fortnite ;).

I’ve been deliberately holding back helping them until they get frustrated, and it’s screaming for UI/UX workover… There need to be many things to guide people through some processes, both young and old.

The lad misses a lot of detail (like Jiivita points out the naming has changed to try and direct the user), but he isn’t looking at the text… any of it!

Both are making progress in the game, and enjoying it - but this will probably grind to halt once they want to craft anything that needs multiple layers of progress.

3 Likes

for me instead off the arrows they added i would like a tutorial in menu in a spreadsheet style with keywords ya can search
with pictures and all

Without wiki I don’t think i would have survived MC beta. Cool to hear how the younger players handle an advanced voxel game. :slight_smile:

Also, on Mac, the game tells the user to use the scrollwheel on the mouse.

My friend was surprised tho that the regular Mac way of using two fingers works 'cos most other games do not support that on Mac…

I, myself, also started anew, and a journal entry keeps telling me to fuel the beacon that I had to place near a settlement and then plot to connect. But I had already put the beacon next to a settlement and have been giving it fuel a few times but the journal entry keeps saying I did not…

I read this as we’re going to rate them! LOL

Edit: :wink: so far only a couple of 2/10’s; quite a few 7/10’s and some most excellent 10/10s that I hope will come back!

2 Likes

That made me lol.

My 7 year old has sorta quit playing as the wildstock on low tier planets would kill her when she tried to murder them :wink:

But the 11 year still plays, and went Gleambow hunting - his feedback on it: ‘Thrilling’

And, yeah… great event… wish I had more hours in the day to burn through more premium grapples :wink:

5 Likes

i wonder if you leveled your 7years old caracter to be stronger
she would be interested again would be a nice test :smile:

1 Like