I would help you if I could. You seem to want gem grapples and high end foods. I have never made grapples higher than iron though and have never used them. Food I suspect you want high end things on that too. I’m just learning those. I have some copper and iron grapples and various foods (nothing I make requires power since I have never even looked for a gem) sitting on shelves. So, I doubt what I have helps you.

1 Like

i can easily make the low-ends myself (iron/copper) the only reason i go high-end iis due to the faster launches and etc… i can be very clumsy when mining :wink:

1 Like

How the people who have large piles of coin they are either sitting on or actively using got it by building up a plotted site for a city or shop and provided that location with value to other players. Typically that has been portals to other locations and those portals are free.

Aquatopia wouldn’t be where it is today without providing free portals to the general population of the game that visits the city. People wouldn’t be able to use Portal Seekers network. They wouldn’t be able to get to Gemporium. They wouldn’t be able to get to a lot of places that provide something of value to them for their coin.

So it’s less about who is the better builder but more about who is providing more value to someone else in the game. A better builder provides more value to someone else. A shop that can reliably keep prices fair and shop stands stocked up provides tremendous value to someone visiting it and wanting to buy that gem tool or some buff food.

3 Likes

which is why i have my own portal (as a shortcut home mainly) which i dont intend to prestiege so that i receive no tax because i do not agree with it :wink: however some people are reccomending that i DO prestiege it - because i am offering the mine below my workshop for public use)

some people have certain priorities and as much as i accept that and agree that they should… just have a look at some *coin barrons who are sitting on mounds of it … doing nothing with it… certain people cant even spend it fast enough because they have so much :wink:

and just because i don’t want to put any skills in building, and am quite happy living in a box i am losing out… where is the fariness of that?

guess its time to make yet another al;t… and fight for the riches that building brings i guess :confused:

*he who has the most money… hold the most power… and absolute power corrupts absolutely… * (sorry i forgot this game isn’t supposed to be democratic )

Yes there is an endgame. It’s where you have the top tools and the top stuff to work with, and your machines are well powered, understanding the game is key also. The term ‘endgame’ doesn’t imply the game is finished in MMO terms, it’s where you stop advancing in whatever.

For me personally though. It’s what I call your peak on something. Be that money, gems, whatever. I started off gaining coin and XP slowly and then worked out how to do it quickly.

That’s the gatherers endgame. For me. I get its not for you, that’s fine. You enjoy different gameplay to me, that’s great, that’s the differences in people. I enjoy the prestige rankings, to track my progress, or going up through the settlement rankings from hamlet to village etc. You don’t again great.

(This part is a broken record but it’s still core to removing footfall) So a builder wants money, he builds he should have the same potential to get coin I do for mining. If a builder doesn’t care about coin, great. Do all builders not care about coin, is this a universal trait, I hardly think so.

But yeah it does encourage portal networks a bit like popup windows, the more networks the better for the advertiser or in this case footfall. However all the amounts you are talking about, are tiny, they are nothing. 4.5k is nothing. So the argument to me is a bit pointless. If the top footfall area is making 4.5k a week, that’s absolutely nothing in economic terms. You don’t play to gain any coin, so you haven’t experienced this. You are just going to have to trust me lol. That one mining trip makes this look silly, and yeah they could do away with footfall entirely by the same token, but it adds necessary coin into the game to balance the economy out apparently - so it is required.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t even produce any gem grapples for myself :D. I could do but I am saving the skill points for when the next tier of planets and atmospheres are released to see what I need to put where, and where i need to reskill my alts. It’s something i’ve thought of though, as it would increase the speed of my runs a bit.

I tend to work in layers, mostly so I don’t need more than a few grapples a run. They might have saved me from a few lava deaths however lol.

This is my main concern regarding footfall, if you remove it the influx of coin into the game drops to almost zero in relation. How do we trade when that happens? There will always be people sitting on coin doing nothing.

If you remove the top 5 earners and look at the average joe - who are you going to trade with? If each person can only add their daily bonus worth of coin to the economy, and sooner or later this coin passes through a hoarder / coin sink / black hole, how are we going to have sustainable trade?

-not an argument FOR footfall, but against recession. Remember the town with the lowest tax rate will offer the best trade spots, while the area with the highest tax rate would be where i want to live and share in the spoils… oooh dilemma :wink:

2 Likes

yah I like foot fall to. i provide one service and without footfall there would be less inventive to do so. i don’t mind raising the prestige requirement but in all I think it’s a great system.
since footfall was introduced i have made almost one million coins. that’s with a transfer station on each world. i worked hard for that dedicating most of my time in game to it. it’s much less than a week’s or months proffet from a mega store.

6 Likes

Without Jeffs portals my mid game would have sucked mightly. I support Jeff 100%, and need to swing by now I am well off to drop a big donation to him :smiley: thanks for reminding me. I also owe grumpy who inadvertently gave me what was back then lot of money out of one of his baskets in my newbiehood on bones (he might recall), but I never see him to give it him back.

1 Like

Probably a very stupid question but will the person who is mayor etc of a settlement/town/city etc one day be receiving the tax as coin that is generated for that place?

What if builds could be consumable? Say you could sacrifice / tithe them to the Oort-overlords or whatever. Base the value on all that complicated prestige calculating stuff (variety, color scheme, chiseling ect). Build a big fancy thing, then offer it to the gods! Get coin / god favors / cool badges / exclusive stickers for individual offerings / meeting goals (based on total blocks / total precious metals, gems w/e). Then the build goes poof and land regenerates! Builder gets paid / recognized and gets their plots back for the next big thing. Nostalgic? Put all the offered builds on a planet by themselves so people can go worship. Or just put holograms there. Make a hall of fame for spectacular ones. Then builds in declining places like Pixel can be preserved somewhere.

4 Likes

That is one thing that blueprints could do, do a holographic version of it, then we build it in, or in this case not :D, just admire the hologram. It would also be a great way to preserve what we’ve currently built between wipes :wink:

3 Likes

If you look at your beacon controls if you have a settlement or higher at least I believe you will see an option to set the tax rate for the settlement or higher and another as the viceroy of the planet. Both by default are set at 10%. So, it appears whoever is in charge of the community will set and receive that part of the taxes on transactions in the community and the viceroy will receive it on transactions on the planet. So, there is incentive for people to build as much as possible filling it with as much prestige as possible on as many plots as possible. Thus the battle among builders for lots of plots filled with lots of prestige as the pay could be pretty high. Thats what it looks like is coming. So, the best way to be wealthy looks like being a builder with a lot of plots to fill.

I love the idea as builders would never have to run out of plots. However, that is the very reason I don’t expect it to happen. How do they sell more plots if the builders have an infinite supply of them to build on?

Well the poofed builds give a return of some value and aren’t in the world anymore. People who can buy plots will continue as they are now. People who can’t buy more can reuse theirs over and over while still getting something for them.

1 Like

my feeling now is that this thread is becoming completely useless, with completeley hypotetical based toughts on wich are based completely hypotetical theories about how the game is hypotetically working.

Hy-potato-call :japanese_ogre:

the biggest money income comes from trading: selling gathered/mined/hunted resources AND selling raw to finished products in shop. not from footfall, not from prestige. stop closing yourself in your world full of hypotesis.

and this is the proof of what i’m sayng:

I’m a little scared about this aspect, as there are as lot of unknowns, such as,

• Is there a limit to the maximum tax amount? Some unscrupulous overlord could set s massive tax amount overnight without others realising and receive a massive influx of coin.
  • What happens to request baskets and selling plinths if the tax is raised/lowered? Does it affect the overall price of goods (essentially invalidating any signs displaying the price) or does it just take a bigger/smaller cut of the overall sale; completely throwing out any calculations a shopkeeper has made.
  • Does it also include a percentage of footfall, or just transactions?

As I said, a lot of unknowns, so any claims to the viceroy being extremely wealthy are purely speculation at this point.

Potentially… maybe… but that won’t be an income for all builders, or even the best builders. Just for the player with the highest prestige in the settlement/world. But it’s still all speculation at this point, until something is actually implemented.

^this. Until these things are in the game, you have no idea how they’ll play out, so any arguments for/against at this point are based on belief, not fact.

I’m happy for things to be implemented and tried out in their entirety before completely binning an idea.

5 Likes

unnamed

I agree we should hold back a bit on speculation as it’s not really effective discussing what to do about something that’s as of yet unimplemented… when tax hits the test server I’ll see you guys there and we can check out Steve in the flesh.

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Builder Features

It would be nice if a Developer could shed a bit of light on how they envisage the mechanics of this working. If anyone prefers to not be engulfed by neighbouring builds that want your prestige then I might have to practice making some gravel and mud builds as an alternative, obviously that means no chance of getting any settlement status or footfall but at least prestige grabbers would keep their distance :joy: