[Feedback] Testing 224 - Crop growth times

So this field has 656 exotic yams planted, but of all those plants, after almost 24 hours, only about half (guestimate) seem to have matured fully.

UPDATE

For some reason, just sitting around in-game next to the field, now all the crops have fully matured. Still seems weird how they weren’t ready on coming back but all became ready, even from stage 3/7 just for looking away for 15 minutes. :thinking:

Growth time modifier is 100% on debug. Shouldn’t they all be fully grown by now, if the ripening time is 9 hours? :thinking:

1 Like

In addition, of all the regular earthyams I planted yesterday, this one is still not fully grown either. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The gui should really say ‘expected’ or ‘average’ time to ripen, the crops have only a few stages, but tick once a day, so to achieve growth times more than 2-3 hours it works on a poisson process, each day they have a probability of advancing to the next stage (so if the growth has expected time of say 80 days, and the crop has 8 stages, it has a 10% chance of advancing each day, so most days wont do anything, some days might advance once or even twice (and very very rarely 3, 4 or even all 8 stages at once), but the ‘average’ time to ripen will be 80 days, with some being slower (maybe much slower) and some being faster (maybe much faster)

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation; it probably would be more intuitive if it did say “average” or “expected” as you suggest. :slight_smile:

Fertilizer also works like this, each day having a chance of expiring but on average will last N days (sometimes much shorter, sometimes much longer). there is only a single stage to advance to for fertilizer though, meaning the spread of effective times is larger.

2 Likes

Can you please show us pic of what each seed type likes to grow on as you did with the exotic yam pic. I want to plan my gardens but don’t know the soil or items I need for each plant. Please…

I can make a compilation later on I guess, but this info will be readily available to all players in the tooltip description of all seed items I’ve encountered so far.

And about metainfo about crops in general please see and give feedback on my other post:

1 Like

Ps4 players cannot see them yet. Sadface.

If you right click on the seed in the knowledge tab it will tell you what soil type it needs to be planted in as well as any additional block needed nearby such as sand or mud etc

1 Like

Only available to those in testing, I am a ps4 player and cannot see the release yet.

Depending on which crop your going to grow they just use either silty, peaty or clay so if you collect those as well sand and mud then you’ll be good to go … plus they need to be near water and lighting can be sunlight or gleam (including gleam lanterns) … for vines it’s each of the foliage types, exotic, lush and waxy with mould and air needed for nearby.

1 Like

Woopwoop, RNG farming :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Thank you woohoo very much.

1 Like

Unlike real life where you just pay Monsanto for new GM seed each time you plant and everything ripens exactly on time. More or less. Well, maybe a like Gaussian distribution with a standard deviation of about 72 hours depending on weather and soil conditions. It’s a Poisson distribution with a very sharp CDF, like a stairstep.

Me, I kind of like having the natural CDF of the Poisson distribution. Then again, I live in a very rural area and that’s how the world around me works, so it’s what I expect in a simulation.

Anyway, it’s not like the RNG in forging where it’s like Gump;s box of chocolates: you never know what you’re going to get. In this case, you’re going to get yield from your crops, it’s just you don’t know exactly when.

2 Likes

Also, Inorganic crops seem to want to grow on gravel and near Ancient Corruption, need to be “watered” with Lava, and if I’m reading the raws correctly, Kindling Mass may actually have negative productivity if planted near Rock.

1 Like

may be due to this maybe?

maybe if you are AFK the system reacts better then comeing back and trying to catch up with the “fast-forwarding”

2 Likes

I’m finding the poisson curve to be frustrating :confused:

The very last crops can take AGES to finally tick, it’s frustrating always checking back and even when it was 90% complete yesterday, now it’s only 92% complete when the first days were a breeze.

One side of me is saying just harvest when it’s the best yield/time spot since you get the seeds back from the unfinished plants, but the other side is saying don’t waste any of the work you put in planting that field, not to mention the fertilizer you’d be wasting.

Not sure if there’s a good reason for it to be like this?

5 Likes

That’s how it is in real life. Farmers have to make a tradeoff when deciding to harvest but they additionally have to contend with rotting or being destroyed by pests and weather if it’s harvested too late. Imagine the whining if that were included.

Perhaps the devs wanted to give us a farming simulation. After all, it’s what we asked for. I guess the lesson here is to be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

1 Like

Is it? From what little garden farming I’ve done, the irl growth times seem to be pretty consistent, but my sample sizes are low. I tried to find some scientific reference to the poisson curve and agriculture, didn’t really find anything relevant.

Even better here

2 Likes

I mentioned in another thread, crops tick once per day (already a much longer period than say minecraft) and if we wanted a crop to have guaranteed growth time we have to store a counter of how many days since planted to be ticked every day. For say a 1 (real) day crop (60 game days) that’s already 8 bits, and we also have fertilizer and grades of fertilizer that take up bit space, and without using a huge number of block-ids (hundreds, thousands) we dont have that many bits

2 Likes