First day back after a year, thoughts for devs

I last played when this was still Oort Online and we were all wiggling rectangles, so it’s been a while. Some thoughts and questions:

• SUPER BIG YAY for: keybindings and the ability to run around as a lefty. The sheer number of games that expect you to use the keys they think is best is boggling. It’s very heartening that you guys understand we can’t all use WASD. <3

• The forums suggest you guys are about to launch a proper tutorial / intro, so the amount of flailing I went through to find info is probably about to go away. The abililty to destroy/junk items and how to split stacks were both things I could really have used early on. Oh, and also – that you don’t need one plot picker per plot earned, that they’re not a consumable item. (Ask me why I needed to junk items. -.- )

• Mining’s very slow, and ore / fossils / tech fragments are both very hard to find AND advancement gates. I assume there’s some sweet spot you guys are still trying to find, but when the current solution involves borrowing someone else’s warp gate because you can’t make your own, things need fixing. Eight+ hours of digging with a single tech component and one small fossil to show for it is… grim.

• Why is every block not chisel-able? You have the tech to do this. This is my gently tapping foot. ‘Because it’s not pretty enough’ is something for the builders who want to use them to decide.

• I’m super-sad that the engine change that happened while I was away makes everything look like waxy plasticene. I’m sure this happened for Reasons™, but I guess I hope they were really good ones; the original look is why I threw money at this game in the first place.

• Related to this, I’m assuming that giving us access to the World Builder means that, when the game hits 1.0, we’ll be able to make private / permission-locked worlds? My group of gaming buddies includes people who don’t people well for various reasons, as well as people who play with their young children, both of which make a private game very, very crucial. I will make my biggest, most disappointed eyes if the World Builder turns out to be a Landmark-style money grab.

Thanks for reading. <3

12 Likes

I just came back after about the same amount of time. Still puzzling out why some of the glyphs on the compass are cyan. (Also getting used to new keyboard with Mandatory Wrist Rest. Ugh.)

Still haven’t found copper on Solum, but I’ve been reading the forums for hints. Using the hints, I still haven’t found copper on Solum. :grinning:

1 Like

Cyan beacons are owned by players on your friends list.

2 Likes

Ah ha. Got it. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve taken a note of this feedback and will discuss it in our next design meeting. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

9 Likes

Ain’t no thang. Thanks for taking the time to read it! The game’s come so far since ye olden tymie wiggling-rectangle days.

1 Like

^ this :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A few days later, a few more thoughts:

• The music is so good when it kicks on. A way to set the frequency of it triggering would be awesome, because moar cello == moar better.

• I’m really hoping that there’s some tweaks to the inventory/item wheel in the pipe, because the arrow showing which of the eight items it’s pointing at is much too subtle. Meaning: I can’t tell which item it’s pointing at unless I stop and squint. Some sort of sharpening/outlining of the arrow, or a highlighting of the currently active item while you’re scrolling through them, would be ideal.

• It took me three days (Steam says 32 hours) to find a modicum of iron, tech fragments and fossils, and I still haven’t found a single Tech Component. You know, the thing I need THREE of to make the Spark Generator to make the Portal to go to worlds where I can more easily find Tech Components… oh. Wait. >.< I’m the sort of sick twist who generally enjoys exploratory mining, but this has long since passed into the absurd.

• Last but not least, looking forward to the current test version going live, sounds like there’s a ton of goodies in there. : D

2 Likes

All good feedback! Small correction though…

TWO (sorry, I used caps to re-emphasise)
Source: Spark Generator | Crafting | Boundless Crafting

5 Likes

You could use a Warp which is faster and easier to make?

this, but also, i would love to stop hearing the constant bird chirping without turning off the game sounds. give us an ambient noise and ambient music option PLZ

2 Likes

Before a Ambiente music option I would prefer some more different monsters making high tier planets a real Adventure experience.:slight_smile:

1 Like

fair, im not saying its top priorty, im just saying it should be on the list lol

Wow. Did you really need to correct that? Your takeaway from my posts is that I worded things wrong?

-.-

Here, let me rewrite in a clearer fashion: After 30 hours, I cannot find the basic things to get to the places where I could have an easier go at getting the things – because I need those things to get there in the first place.

Yes, that’s the one I was referring to. That I need Spark for, which requires the Spark Core, which takes the things I’ve yet to see. Sorry for my imprecision – I’m definitely aiming for the relatively quick and dirty one way trip, not the permanent fueled version. My build’s just a slightly upmarket cistern at this point and doesn’t deserve anything that fancy. ; )

Considering it’s apparently very important to get Warp vs. Portal right when describing them, when they’re frequently used fairly interchangably in games, more descriptive / less ambiguous names for which is which could be useful. A warp conduit vs. a portal gate? Platform? Frame? Some extra word to describe the one-way nature of one, and the fuel requirements of the second? Language is tricky, yo.

You shouldn’t need Spark to a Warp.

You do need Spark for a Portal.

Warps open a one way gateway to another world. They are cheap and quick to make so you can make one on the go.

Portals open a two way gateway to another world. They are more expensive and tough to maintain, the intention is this is something hardcore players or a group of players try to achieve.

Eh, it’s pretty explained in the game and forums.

Warps, uses warp conduits and coins to open. They’re one time use, and warp to whichever saved location you select.

Portals, uses portal conduits and oort shards to open and maintain. They’re multiple uses, until they run out of oort shards, and portal to whichever location it’s connecting.

Additionally. You don’t need to make warp, portals or gather the required resources for a spark core in the starter planets. If you’re finding it so annoying to find them on the starter planet you’re at. You can simply use the portals provided by the community to help you go off planet.

Otherwise, if you want to achieve everything by yourself, well then, suck it up and deal with the things it comes with, farming everything yourself.

1 Like

I’m definitely misreading something on Boundless Crafting, then – as I’m reading it, it seems to be telling me I need a warp location picker upgrade for my totem, which takes Spark to build.

1 Like

I see what you mean. It’s the Totem upgrade that is blocking you. We might need to make it a bit easier for players to acquire, but not too easy or player’s will be leaving the start world too soon.

3 Likes

‘Rely on someone else’s charity’ isn’t a solution for a starting player with starting-level problems.

I believe we can safely assume the designers want this game to be workable for new players – because they eventually turn into long term players if they stick around. I am new. You are not. I am stating problems I’m having, as a new player, in hopes that it gives the designers some feedback on what new players might be experiencing.

‘Shut up and stop complaining’ is anti-useful and fairly rude. I’m 30 hours in. I obviously like the game, and am attempting to love it like the rest of you. I’m putting my feedback out there so they get more input from people who haven’t been here forever, have massive stacks of old resources, and are perfectly familiar with the UI and progression.

1 Like