Flip the 3x1 forged AoE orientation [POLL]

I want to see the 3x1 AoE flipped 90 degrees due to the practicality for cutting 1x1 trees and the increased mobility for mining with a lesser boon. I’ll admit that this change would probably be a positive change for those two tools mostly, but wanted to vote while people are discussing forging.

• Vertical (affect one block above and one below target)
  • Horizontal (affect one block left and one block to the right of the target)

0 voters

Hard for me to vote on this, I would rather say there could be another option added to the forge, like one above and one below. Because most trees I go for are 2 to 3 blocks wide. I prefer hanging from high, and then working my way down with a wide axe.

Honestly we need both. So can we vote to simply add the other orientation to it, instead of flipping it?

3 Likes

I don’t know what you would think about of a different boons for every type of shapes.

Then the damage penality is less the more level you have on them. This way you can make the shapes you want for the purpose you need.

1 Like

but how they are now are good for shim farming

1 Like

Haha I got you. We could, but that’s hard! I was operating under the assumption that we could only have one for this boon and that flipping the orientation in the code would be way easier than adding another forge possibility.

1 Like

right now in the other thread for the forge changes, people are talking about only have 3x3 for aoe, but with diff levels of damage. That’s an interesting idea as I think more about it. I used a 3x3 foraging for orbs, and I have to say YES it was way better. I use to think 3x1 was cool, but for grass and trees, 3x3 is awesome.

1 Like

I think the 5th boon should be 3x3x3 tbh :wink:

6 Likes

I don’t understand why we can’t have both options.

That is to say, I’d like the 1x3 for soul* farming or large trunk farming and 3x1 for single tree farming or mining.

Both those would be near entry level booms for new forgers/gatherers. No they aren’t super efficient. No they’re no where near as good as the others but they serve a great early progression purpose and I remember when I was a newb those were the iron tools I desperately went after because they were so so so much cheaper to acquire.

Edit: soul = soil but I’m leaving it because I like the idea of also farming souls

4 Likes

I can definitely see that point for shovels. One of the reasons I thought this kind of change would mostly be positive for axe/hammer

I was thinking that to. Then I asked myself, when is the last time I looked for or bought anything other than a 3x3. I don’t. I either buy no aoe or 3x3. Even on axes. Shovels however deffinately could do a 3x1, if your just trying to skim a layer off the top. Which mean there probably is a need for the other options, if I can think of one, other people will have reasons to.

ugh why not make it smart? it hits the orientation with the most blocks in it

Yes but we’re past that newbie stage. Those options aren’t really aimed at you or I, but those newer to the game or maybe those who lost everything and are coming back. Those options would be cheaper and give folks a better entry way back in to the game. That’s just one scenario. I could come up with 5 more if I were pressed and I’m sure others could as well.

Basically what I’m getting at is more options in this area isn’t a bad thing. Give us players the sandbox tools, we will find a way to make the various things useful and relevant.

2 Likes

very true.

As some ppl mentioned, both have their uses. So I didn’t vote.

Why not make it a 50/50 chance in forging for it to go either orientation? Even if it’s not the one you want, someone will still buy it.

Again, unfamiliar with the forging process so yeah, dunno how you forgers would feel about that.

You can vote for both, since I forgot to set the max choices to 1. haha

1 Like

As a newer player I would love 1x3 tools sold as “stairmakers” since they are great for digging stairs in solid rock.

I voted to keep it vertical because you can always climb on top of a tree, turn 90 degrees, and hit the ground to get the same effect as a horizontal AoE. But there’s no way to turn sideways and punch stairs out of a wall in front of you

Got it. 3x1 is horizontal right now, did you mean you voted for keeping that one?

AOE rank 1 target spot and below
AOE rank 2 target spot and 1 above and 1 below
AOE rank 3 target spot and 1 left and 1 right
AOE rank 4 cross effect
AOE rank 5 3x3

this would take care of the imho horrid rank 5 random block thing.

6 Likes

Haha ikr? Anything but that one :joy:

1 Like

Oooo great idea! :heart: