Fog blocks please James

Just a coloured air block… 255 to choose from. Water and gleam in the furnace.

Let’s do this @james :wink:

18 Likes

Was thinking the same for water blocks can be cool see different liquid colors

3 Likes

I suspect that upon seeing a ping leading to this thread, James would be more like this :

I may harbour a lot of negative feelings towards the devs in regards to how we got to be where we are, but for Pete’s sake, leave the poor man alone, stop sending him pings for stuff like this, we all know the devs are currently NOT in a position to work on any new suggestion like this one.
I mean, it’s fine to make suggestions, but don’t ping James as if it was a priority for him to look at this.

As for the water color, they already said they can’t make that happen for technical reasons. Although things like that can definitely change to the “it’s now technically possible” column, if it can, we all know that they know we want it, so it’s already on their radar.

4 Likes

Oops, the tag police have been alerted to my suggestion :wink:

2 Likes

Tag?
:thinking:

Because I tagged someone

Just chill out, you know? Must be hard work being so negative and confrontational all the time. Just chill.

Mostly hard on the blood-pressure.

Truth is, the best thing to do would be to disable the entire forum except for the creation section, the trading section and the technical support section.

People are just spamming the inbox of devs for no reason, or arguing about “Is the game dead? Is it dying? No it’s not! Yes it is!”, “is the game still fun without updates? Yes it is! No it’s not!”, or “Stop being so negative! Stop being so positive!”, and then people are flagging you if they don’t like you, which ends-up sending more pings to the devs…
It goes nowhere.

2 Likes

Just take a breath.

I’m sure the last thing on James’ mind is the forum right now and he probably doesn’t bother himself with it.

It’s all good, here, have some of my positive energy, go forth and multiply it.

4 Likes

Well, people have already figured out that he throws at least a look at it once a day to check for technical support threads.

1 Like

In that case - HI JAMES, HAVE A GREAT DAY.

2 Likes

I mean, I wasn’t saying “Hey, add this to the game NOW” or anything. Was just a fun little suggestion. I tagged him in it because, well, if I’m directing something at a particular person I’ll add their name to it. Otherwise all kinds of riffraff will comment :wink:

1 Like

Hey, don’t get me wrong, I too would like something that somehow generates fog in Boundless. I made so many dumb suggestion, just do a search for “Crazy Idea” on the forum, your head will spin.

But just maybe keep the tagging of devs for emergencies only like “quick, this issue needs resolving NOW!” is all I’m sayin’.
Imagine if we all tagged a dev everytime we make a suggestion.

Main reason I reacted to this because there are people I won’t name who tend to @ James several times in in single post (likely out of anger or some such) like it’s a normal thing to do, like they think the dev should see everything they write.

Little things like that might be one of the reasons why devs are only replying to technical support stuff.

7 Likes

@Bethlehem @Spoodle :heart: glad to see you both return! may and I are excited and she’s excited for the hunts to come, when she got the time she will deffo be part of it WE LOVE YOU!

4 Likes

Love this idea. What would you think of it as the last “liquid” block but instead of flowing with gravity it just creeps into the surrounding blocks at like 30% opacity? Not only would it be awesome as an ambient effect but it would be an effective filler/cover-up for two of my biggest pet peeves as a builder- hard angles between textures and open gaps between two chiseled blocks.

@Goblinounours I feel you on the pinging but at this point I’m sure he’s used to a flooded inbox. Plus he might like this idea and jot it down :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

For the last ‘liquid’ block, I just hope we get another transparent liquid (like slime? dirty swamp water?), because resin, petrolim, lava… eeeh. ^^
Ooooooh, makes me think, imagine a slime block that is partially transparent, like tinted glass, but with some effet of stagnant bubbles inside!

Anyway, yeah, if the fog thing has to be placed manually one block at a time, it would suck. It definitely would have to spread on its own. But does it even have to be a block or a liquid?

4 Likes

Yea really doesn’t have to be a cube. I’ve just always wanted a new block that can fill in open chisel spaces but doesn’t flow… now I’m remembering that liquids can’t have colors so disregard that. Fog in 255 colors would be amazing.

1 Like

I don’t know if the devs can technically add a ‘new’ type of block. Like, not liquid or voxel block.
Maybe something that behaves like what you described…
But I feel that if fog had a block-shape, it would look a bit weird. Though, water has a block-shape… fire has particles… I dunno…
Basically, I wonder if the game could handle more volumetric fog effects.

Or maybe just go back to the notion of a weather machine, and you could customize effects, like having a foggy ambience limited to the beacon where the machine is located in, and in the machine’s settings, you’d set the fog color.

And you could just as well set-up the machine to emit a weather effect like the rose petal (my personal favorite, so calm and relaxing) with options to tint the rose petal texture to have purple petals, blue petals, etc.

In the meantime, I’ve seen people do some pretty smart things with white/grey glass to simulate fog effects.

Why are furniture blocks, poles, beams etc considered special blocks while LED’s aren’t? I’m picturing this fog taking up the space of a block, just without any discernible edges, but I guess that would be the same as the decorations.

Is there a difference in the bounding box size of a gleam pole, twinkle, and a full sized latticed block with no arms?

1 Like

Its all too easy just to skip over emails, Forum Posts, Support related questions, direct messages, and Pings anyways…

Talking from personal experience :frowning:

2 Likes