Forging was a mistake (Opinion - if you're easily triggered by critisims don't open this)

To start with I’ve never really been a big fan of forging from the start as it imbalances most games and I will give an example of that that I’m sure most of us are already aware of anyway.

Right now I’m Nordalase 6 looking for Umbris and ever hotspot I find is basically cheese it stil shows as a hotspot but I don’t have any 9x9 on me as I just like looking around and finding stuff instead of hallway mining.

This is already kind of a problem right now with barely 100 players (basically every hotspot is cheesed out), what will they do once this game reaches 1000 or 10.000 players a day? Exo worlds will be a thing of the past for casuals, since everything will be cheesed out by super sonic ultra Kamehameha 9x9 hammers. All I do is basically mine the large fossils so I’m not losing money… and here and there find the rare Umbris.

This also gets me thinking of MM wanting to make this game F2P, will they monetize succesful exo mining? Like, get your own exo world for 2 hours a day for €30 monthly or something… That’ll be a huge NO for me btw. I would leave thsi game so fast and uninstall it so hard my pc will become a black hole and consume my entire appartment complex lol

So, you see? Forging really was a mistake. And with mistake I mean the 9x9 super sonic fast stuff. They really went into the wrong direction here I think. Just make it 1x1 and up the rare material count, that’ll balance it better in the future and just make playesr be abe to somewhat increase the speed and damage maybe to compensate? And by somewhat I mean nowhere near machine gun speed…

If I had a 9x9 now I could def find Umbris but stop and think what will happen in the future - this is a huge problem waiting to happen which if not addressed corectly will drive a lot of casuals away from the game.

Yes, it’s still fine now but this is a bubbling problem. Stuff like this could make the game competitive and toxic in the future IMO.

I played 2b2t on Minecraft and the first 20.000 blocks (yes twenty thousand blocks) in ALL directions from spawn are OBLITERATED TO BEDROCK, just to give you an example. Since there was thus no food it took me having to walk 30k blocks to be somewhat safe and start a farm and then walk on further until 120k and they still found me (most easily do 5 million blocks from spawn)

My point is, exo world’s will be WAY too small in the future if player count increases a 3km EXO world is peanuts. For 1000 active daily players and with forging as it is now, you’ll need a 25-40km world at least to not have it turn to literal cheese everywhere.

I mean, it’s at 86 players right now lol. This could ruin the game in the future and I’m not paying for private exo worlds - that’s literaly pay to win.

1 Like

I’m not sure that nerfing mining is really the best option for increasing lucent ore spawns. From my perspective it seems that the Exos were meant to be a race for end-game players to see who could get to the ore first. It is intentionally limited and scarce for that reason. It is a good point that the current number of public mining locations could be overwhelmed by an influx of new players but sovereign planets seem to be bearing the load just fine.

1 Like

You don’t have to nerf mining.

Delete 9x9, up rare ore counts and also increase block crafting thus; e.g. 1 Meta Rock now = 5 brick, 1 Meta Rock then is 20 brick, etc

Increase rare ore count on exos etc and make worlds bigger. Now a 40km world will do so much more for 1000 players than it did when 9x9 was a thing.

That’s what I’m saying. You can balance out the 9x9 thing by increasing ore count and block crafting. This way a 40km world will do just fine for 1000 players. If you don’t, a 40km will be turned into absolute cheese by a 1000 playesr and might urn people away since exo worlds are now not doable for casual players that work 8 hours a day.

OR

You can keep 9x9 but a 40km world now has to be a 400km world. That’ll do, too but that’s a more expesnive server.

This also copunts for homeworlds not just exos btw. Literally every planet.

I mean, I’m not mad or anything, I’m just observing and sharing what I think. I’m fine scourging mountain walls for Umbris, I enjoy it that way. It’s more adventurous. I like taking my time in everything I do. But in the future this could realy become barren and that’d be a shame since I quite like the adventurous side of EXOs.

The size of the worlds is based on technical limitations which is why worlds are between 3-6km. Also, I would absolutely hate to just “Delete 9x9” that’s by far the most fun way to mine in this game. If you’ve never tried it I strongly recommend it. Just get an aoe hammer, some mega fast brews, and some starberry pies and go to town. I get the feeling of coming up on entire hotspots mined out completely, it was something that happened a lot when I first started playing. But it is advantageous even to new players because end-game miners often breeze through the area and sometimes leave exposed seams in their wake. An enterprising new miner can capitalize on this easily.

1 Like

I use 9x9 all the time but since it’s a limitation well, then ther’s no way to avoid the potential oncoming storm I guess. I’m just not doing itu right now because I was actually looking for oil but figured I’d take some Umbris with me as well but yes, they leave a lot of stuff that also makes me a lot of money however, my point towards the future still stands. This will become a problem if player count increases.

I for one am so glad there is 3x3 mining. Without it mining would be many times worse.

Edit: they will have to increase planets or size if they want to support growth, that’s a given and they have stated that. Nerfing AoE (3x3) mining ia not the solution. Besides, it all regens, so unless it’s plotted, 2b2t will never happen. Also, 2b2t has no rules while Boundless does.

1 Like

First. There is no such thing as a 9x9. I think you mean 3x3.
Second I’m sure the game will scale with more people means more exo’s. And more permanent planets as well once the numbers increase. Possibly even permanent lucent planets. And planets higher then a tier 7 planet. I believe that was always the plan. To have tier 8-9 planets.
Possibly even exo’s with mineable Oort. :scream:
All this said we’ll have to wait and see where the new owners take the game.

So when mining for lucents be sure to know the altitude to find the lucent. Umbris is up high like topaz and sapphire.

Rift is altitudes 30-50

Blink is altitude 10-35

Hope this helps. And good luck on your journey.

7 Likes

You’re not at all taking account what removing 3x3 tools will do to the market. The entire market thrives on there being enough blocks in it… If you remove the easy way to get tons of blocks, the amount of blocks on the market will also reduce. Even if you alter the crafting recipe, the end-total will still be less.

5 Likes

To delete 3x3 would be really bad. It is one of the features making this game interesting and different from other voxel games. It is one of the reasons why I like mining so much.

When there were 200-300 players it took about a day for exos to look like cheese. Now it usually takes 3 days or more depending how much seams there are. Nordalase 6 started with 71k seams which is average but it is already up for 3.5 days. People had plenty of time to mine it already.
A good idea is to go to the exo on the first day or maybe second to have good mining spots.

I have not checked this world but usually there are still good spots when the atlas shows hotspots. There are different height levls you can mine on.

When the big influx of new players is coming increasing the spawn rate would be a better way to deal with this.

6 Likes

When Lucents were 1st introduced lucent planets didn’t spawn individualy as they are now they spawned 2 or even 3 at a time so if we got more players the more lucent exo planets could spawn to help with more players

3 Likes

I went up there last night and was able to get a stack of Ubris. Although I had the super hammer /foods/potions to do so, I also spent probably 2 hours exploring the planet. You see I invested a lot of time and resources into the trip and I was rewarded for my efforts. Exo are end game someone going up there and bumbling around shouldn’t walk away with the rewards.

1 Like

I’d like to note that there was also an increase in exo spawn frequency in that timeframe.

As the game gets more players, we will have to have additional planets, likely broken into sub-regions. Spawning exos more often across the different sub regions should solve this problem. Just have to have exo supply match exo demand, scaling with active player count.

1 Like

A rough average from a rough miner (me), I get perhaps like ~300 lucents per pie give or take. I am sure more efficient miners get slightly more but around that. All I mean to say is, the ground might be swiss cheese but the yield isn’t as much as it looks.

On the other hand, I am assuming you’re new? If so, welcome! 3x3 hammers are, in my opinion, so possible to forge and easily affordable to buy. All you have to do is afford the very first hammer then it will EASILY pay for itself. Such hammers enable the economy to exist as we know it. Give the 3x3 a try and you’ll love those speedy ones. Best of luck! :grin::+1:

Modded Minecraft has plenty of different mining ideas including 3x3 and automated mining (Boundless doesn’t need automated mining).

Forging does need some love … but not removing the tools more in the creation of them.

Lucents are meant for “end-game” and they are rare and hard to get because they are end game. This game is more than just a creative building game as we have discussed MANY, MANY times and with that those blocks are and SHOULD be harder to get.

Also what do you need lucents for? Building? Bows? Tools? I ask this question of myself a lot as I don’t ever NEED lucents and almost find them more as a bragging tool both in building and in hunts. I think the blocks themselves are quite ugly unless used sparingly or as accents. The tools aren’t much better than the gem tools, granted they “could be” but the cost to create them and forge them just aren’t worth it in my eyes.

To each there own though.

1 Like

Very easy money.
But yes, they are very ugly.

1 Like

If they were made more common then they wouldn’t be EASY money.

3 Likes

lol yeah, I’m aware but idk, it just sucks to see hotspots and then find cheese - lots of cheese
Go to other hotspot - cheese
Other - cheese

1 Like

Been there many times but I can’t say Ive never gone to an Exo at any point and not been able to get “some” lucents. I don’t think I have ever left one though with more than a handful … or a stack or two.

I at best just wanted some to use in a build there are easier and more stable ways of making coins in game.

As a goo farmer and paint maker I needed a good amount of blink for all the pigment mixer coils.
Otherwise just as accent blocks.

2 Likes

Agreed! I farm a crazy amount of goo. I mostly mean what do you need it for on a constant basis :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like