Frameless glass

@jesshyland
:wink:

9 Likes

i wonder if they could just add connected textures and have it so that the big ass frame just goes around and not like it is now…such like optifine in minecraft…

1 Like

@jesshyland can you explain for us newer people why a smaller frame around the glass (maybe without that grey circle part) is not possible?

I dont really care for the devs but 7dtd’s newer glass looks good. It’s like industrial glass with the metal mesh in it

Mmkay, you wanna know how to do it?

Look at how doors mesh their tile depending on how many are stacked together. You remove the borders on the parts that touch more glass.

Also, I’d like to know if it’d be possible if we’d be able to look through water tiles that touch glass?

With only ever allowing cubic-glass, it wouldn’t be too hard no, but at some point we would like to allow the glass to be chiselled too if we can, and then it becomes “very hard” to have a consistent “frame” in-texture around the glass. Having a consistent frame is basicly what texture blending is doing, but we only support texture blending on “standard-slopes” and not on square or bevelled shapes (because the effort involved would be monstrous), but texture-blending also largely relies on blends being kind of blurry and not super well-defined, as the “blends” get stretched/rotated and blended on top of eachother, so couldn’t be used for a crisp frame. So we’d be back to only ever allowing cubic blocks like we do right now.

3 Likes

You could do the Minecraft thing and maybe have a slight light glare over it in order to mark it.

But yeah, that’s what I thought – that having that border mesh, if chiseled would take, what… about a few hundred combinations or so?

2 Likes

Isn’t that slight light glare translucent? If so that’s literally impossible as @jesshyland explained earlier

A thinner frame is doable up to a point, for sure. If it’s too thin though, then as the texture is downsampled when you move further away from the block(this is a technique called mipmapping) there’s a chance that it might vanish entirely. That’s something I’d like to avoid happening.

3 Likes

Can you share an image…?

Yes this would be possible if glass was used in a NxM formation.

But it wouldn’t be possible if players wanted to build a dome out of glass.

For starters just shave of that border to 1/4 of what it is now. That would work for me.

2 Likes

Posted two cause I was unsure which would be perfered to analyze.
Curtesy of @Skippy0330

1 Like

Agreed, that would solve most of the visual aspect for the time being, and make for much more useful glass right away.

2 Likes

With all the other glass I’ve seen in games I’m convinced that a border is, not only not nessesary, but it’s also not wanted. A simple borderless glass block that Doesnt have a pattern but has a slight hue would work perfect. Especially if you can change the color of the hue. :heart_eyes:
However, I have learned that even that is very difficult to program.

3 Likes

Transparency is very taxing on GPU. Now someone will tell about Minecraft etc, but Boundless has very complex voxels, I know some tricks how to optimize voxel rendering but only when all voxels are cubic, with all possible shapes in Boundless I don’t even have an idea how they made is so smooth (rendering that is).
One more point, in many games with beautiful graphics (and transparency) most of the stuff is precalculated and cached since scenes don’t change drastically, but with voxel games it gets a bit busy :slight_smile:
But I’d still love to see slimmer frames for existing glass :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Smaller frame on glass is really needed.
No frame would be even better.
Thinner would be really good too.

2 Likes

The engine itself, as far as I’m aware, literally doesn’t support transparency @Cookviper, so it’s impossible without recoding the entire engine.

1 Like

Really? I must have missed that. If that’s the case then I’ll take what I can get. Chisable window blocks would be the next best thing. But again, not a game breaker if we never got it. :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah, but I think a thinner, or different frame is possible. Chiselled glass is something that the team want to happen, but I think it could be difficult to always get the frame at the edges for all shapes. Maybe if it was restricted to a square chisel? Anyway, that’s what I’ve heard.

1 Like

Don’t glass have the same frame as gleam lanterns? Gleam lanterns are able to be chiseled. Glass just has the gleam part of the middle removed. So most of the frame work is done but I know there could still some issues but I think that there could be at least some chiseling that could be allowed. At least down to slabs would be nice.