Frameless glass

Please oh please could you pretty please with a golden cherry on top give us some frameless glass blocks with the next update? If I was wealthy I’d pay you anything. There’s so many builds id like to do that remain unbuilt because the current glass simply doesn’t look right with the borders on it. At the very the least would you inform us as to its planned release in your timeline. :grin:

18 Likes

I’d even take glass that was about 1/4 of what the current borders are. A 50-75% reduction would be nice if we can’t get frameless glass.

5 Likes

Without its frames, glass is invisible. The engine does not support semi-transparency, so glass “glare” effects are not an option. Therefore, how else would glass work? Improved glass has been a hotly requested change since the very beginning.

Last time I saw glass discussed, @jess said something along the lines of: it’s something (they) want to do, but not sure how to do it and make it look good.

I don’t think there is any sort of eta for reworking glass. Maybe the devs can clarify more for us? I have a feeling this won’t be the last time improved glass comes up before 1.0

I personally would love to go the opposite route with glass. Give it more attractive frames, maybe a nice wrought iron look with a pseudo repeating pattern much like how stone or dirt does.

7 Likes

As Havok mentioned there have been talks about this already, if you are interested in the post link is below.

4 Likes

What?!?!? That’s rediculous. Of course they can make it. It’s no different then the glass used in Minecraft. Just take away the side frame/border so the glass has a seemless look when placed along side other glass blocks. How is that not possible?

1 Like

Isn’t it as easy as creating a block that’s see through but has a few scratches or blemishes so as to give the appearance that it’s glass and not just a hollow frame which is how the glass looks now? I guess I can’t really say much about it since I don’t code. Maybe it’s a tricky thing to do. :thinking:

MC glass with those opaque white squares of “glare” look positively aweful though, and create an aweful repeated pattern. I’ll grant you that the frames in b< are not a great improvement. But the frames also make it easier to see the glass block both in hand, and in the inventory. Without them, not so much :smile:

1 Like

But even with MC glass you can still create dome style roofs and windows bigger than 1 block that actually like like big windows. Colored Window panes look amazing in MC and with our current devs I’d imagine they could blow MC content out of the water. Cmon devs!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! :clap:

4 Likes

6 Likes

I would suggest that the frame move to the outside edge when placed next to each other, keeping the frame look but also the transparency many of us are looking for. There looks to be black glass coming so maybe switching the clear glass out completely for different washed out shades would be a good compromise. Glass is one of those things that seems easy to execute on paper but in practice it is a nightmare (look at any games glass, voxel or otherwise and you’ll see more poorly executed than good, plus ALOT of different approaches) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would be happy with some frame-variation to chose from when making glass, the present one are a little ugly.

2 Likes

I swear this topic seems to come up every other month :stuck_out_tongue: I can only reiterate that I would really like to improve the glass block but it’s not an easy job, not super high on the list of priorities right now, and everything anyone else has suggested so far is something either I have already tried, is impractical for gameplay reasons or is just not possible with our current block shader.

I’ll keep thinking about it. If I come up with a better solution than the one we have right now, y’all will find out about it soon enough.

What’s more likely than a shiny new glass block is window props, since props can have nice semi-transparent materials and therefore much glassier-looking glass. I’m hoping we’ll have more news to share on windows soon.

12 Likes

New and improved block shader?
Release in 2020?
:rofl::joy: @jesshyland

for those wondering, this is a joke.

1 Like

@jesshyland
:wink:

9 Likes

i wonder if they could just add connected textures and have it so that the big ass frame just goes around and not like it is now…such like optifine in minecraft…

1 Like

@jesshyland can you explain for us newer people why a smaller frame around the glass (maybe without that grey circle part) is not possible?

I dont really care for the devs but 7dtd’s newer glass looks good. It’s like industrial glass with the metal mesh in it

Mmkay, you wanna know how to do it?

Look at how doors mesh their tile depending on how many are stacked together. You remove the borders on the parts that touch more glass.

Also, I’d like to know if it’d be possible if we’d be able to look through water tiles that touch glass?

With only ever allowing cubic-glass, it wouldn’t be too hard no, but at some point we would like to allow the glass to be chiselled too if we can, and then it becomes “very hard” to have a consistent “frame” in-texture around the glass. Having a consistent frame is basicly what texture blending is doing, but we only support texture blending on “standard-slopes” and not on square or bevelled shapes (because the effort involved would be monstrous), but texture-blending also largely relies on blends being kind of blurry and not super well-defined, as the “blends” get stretched/rotated and blended on top of eachother, so couldn’t be used for a crisp frame. So we’d be back to only ever allowing cubic blocks like we do right now.

3 Likes

You could do the Minecraft thing and maybe have a slight light glare over it in order to mark it.

But yeah, that’s what I thought – that having that border mesh, if chiseled would take, what… about a few hundred combinations or so?

2 Likes