Getting players into the economy

I thought the other one sounded good at the time, but wasn’t sure - so I asked if I could post it. I’m still glad I did. The guild perm + changing default reservation status gave us the same effect almost, so I think it worked out.

This other thing might be 99% idea and 1% starting to work on it or vise versa. I dunno. Not my place to say. I’m sure they are working on a lot of things :+1:

I hope they do it, if they don’t, that’s their business. They make the game & we play it.
Nothing is ever guaranteed to work & things may need adjustments. That’s ok.

(For some reason, I’m reading this back to myself slowly, like William Shatner lol)

1 Like

This is only speculation but I don’t believe processing power would be a problem. The number of buy/sell orders in some mmo’s (think EVE) is gigantic and arguably the markets more active, and they’re running without a hitch. I’m afraid planetary level goes only half way there and we’d then be running through all planets and check where it’s the cheapest, making shopping unattractive.

3 Likes

Possibly, but there are numerous players that rarely leave the planet they’ve settled on (even some vets). Once things pick up down the road and it’s cost-effective, perhaps they could look at adding a large in-game market system. For now, it seems like everyone would be happy to at least be able to see stands and/or items available on their planet.

1 Like

But if possible wouldn’t universal shop stand listing be more useful? Once you find a portal network it’d be easy for even a new player to check multiple planets for their prices. It just doesn’t sound like the ultimate solution to locating items if you’re still required to do 15mins of work to find the cheapest place selling the item you want :thinking: I’m really interested in what you’ve heard, please spill at least some of the beans :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree it would be more ideal, but they may need to start off on a smaller scale. In the end, it would probably even need to be similar to the current exchange where you can just search & buy (which is somewhat closer to what the larger MMOs have). Until then…

Without that, if it showed all items/stands/locations on all planets - wouldn’t players get upset if they weren’t able to access 1/2 of the stands, due to lack of atmospheric protections? The information tables will probably populate faster for each person that is accessing the info, if it doesn’t include all items from all planets. Could be wrong tho. :woman_shrugging:

Ideally there’d be options like “Limit the search to my current planet” “Only show results from planets I have protection skills to visit” :smiley: But if they have to start out smaller I understand. I’m only hoping that it’s not the final form, planetary limited listings, especially if not available to 3rd party tools (without memory reading) to aggregate to a complete universal list, just wouldn’t really affect how much time I have to dedicate to finding the cheapest item, it’d push me back from participating more.

So if they do go with the planetary limited listing, at least give 3rd party code access to the data so I can make my own thing to do the rest :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed.

I was kinda assuming if they did go with a planetary listing, it would be easier to create a mod to show average pricing per planet (at least). Not sure if that would be helpful, but if you could see that one planet had significantly lower prices on something you needed in bulk, it could be.

Just like now…if I need something really quick, I just buy it from the nearest stand regardless of price. If I need a lot of something and I have a little time, I put more effort into finding a good price.

I don’t know how they’d go about it, but either way, it may end up easier to create more detailed lists on a website (if they provide access). Since it involves coin, I dunno if they would though.

Mods are pretty limited, you can’t do logic in them (like summing up prices), mainly just modifying the UI layouts, and some pre-defined settings. So calculating average prices in a mod doesn’t sound possible :confused: They’ve mentioned being interested in revealing some data from the client via an internal http server, but I’m not sure if that idea was scrapped. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see what they come up with regarding the whole economy thing and complain afterwards if it doesn’t work :smiley:

3 Likes

Outside of if it is a benefit or not, this is under the assumption that they have a data system that can send all the data back and forth in real time between planets. I am not sure they have that technology in place on that scale. When I was having a discussion about blueprints a concern was raised on how that data could be transferred between the planets. I didn’t have time to get into all details but it sounded more like the planets are each their own islands you could say.

The common trend we have seen from the Development team is that work must be part of the equation. That if people want short cuts they either work a bit harder or loose efficiency.

Even though personally I kind of agree with that mindset on some levels, I don’t see why the Dev team would change their tune now. A true auction house in the Eve type style would really mess a lot with the game look and feel and many fundamental designs and game play that was put in.

Third party tools will not be sanctioned or available until they are much farther along their API development thread. We haven’t seen any evidence that they have even started that or what the scope of that level of technology would include.

I would not disagree that it would be a significant change to the way the game looked and how it operated. But if they are unwilling to do something that makes it easier on the buyer to find a product and get to the shop to buy or buy the product another way, then I think we have to just accept the economy will function as it does now. I am good with that but I would hope efforts to artificially force players to spend time they do not have or want to spend on locating shops and product would stop.

And as we get more planets and a larger universe, it will compound the issue of the time to get to a shop and find what a players is looking for which could lead to even less players willing to make the effort. My dream is a universe with hundreds of planets and I just do not see how the current model will work well if that happens.

I have the same feeling about a whole host of systems that will implode on some level if our
user count grew by a lot.

I’m fine with a basic auction house (just not a fan of price listing) but would not be surprised if it was a planet model instead of a universe model. In my “shop book” idea I didn’t get into universal versus planet design. I just wanted registration, location, basic item sell/buy and activity of the shop to be displayed. I am not sure but I think many systems aren’t in place for universal type of things. Plus, I do agree with some effort being needed.

People can argue each side of the discussion - universal market or planet market. For me if it is a planet model the reason I am ok with it is because it creates more of a market for everyone not less. A universe price auction house will do exactly what Eve did with one person’s price being undercut on a grander scale. Those that have lots of money will be able to put a smaller group of people easily out of business and provide no avenue for competition. We saw that in EA with Omni and we will see it here on a grander scale. On a planet market they have to work harder then to be registered and wipe out all the smaller shops.

While this isn’t the best reasoning behind it and somewhat subjective, the idea falls into “more options” versus “less” and giving that ability to more people.

On a Planet based market at least now each planet can have it’s own “market” and price levels. For those that want the Universal Cheap Price they have to travel a bit to find it. But at least there will be some level of shops that can compete in a different way.

Yes I know we can say the grand market can still have competition… but for me it is just philosophy and approach. A Universal model is flat because everyone sees the prices while a Planet model is bumpy (you could say) and gives more variability in how people interact with it and the prices being set. Think of the world before the internet and flat pricing models where china and dollar general kind of beats out all the shops and puts people out of business. Variability provides more opportunity in that model.

I will not disagree that you can frame any side of the argument with rational arguments. All I can speak to is my own experience. Merely getting the coordinates for a shop on a planet is not worth anything. I still have to figure out how to get there. I know directionally if I want to walk, possibly across half a planet to find the store, but why would I spend that much time? Coordinates give me no information regarding close portals or access to a portal network. I say all this to make a point that just knowing where something is does not necessarily decrease your search time and if prices are not listed then I have to visit a few shops to see if the price is reasonable or not. So even more time spent by the consumer in order for the shop keeper to make money.

This is probably one reason why shopping over the internet in RL has become as popular. I do not have to take time going to a store to see if they have what I want in my size and if it is priced well. I can go online and find out all of that, comparison shop and order it for delivery so I do not even have to take the time to go to the store. All of this can be accomplished in just minutes.

I do understand the concerns about data and especially sharing data across planets. That may be an obstacle that cannot be overcome. I think it is interesting that the game is more shop keeper friendly that buyer friendly. A shop owner does not have to ever leave their store in order to make a sale and does not even have to be there for a sale to happen. I think with an MMO that has players across all time zones, the fact that a shop owner does not have to be there to make a sale is probably appropriate. Only the consumer is forced to engage in a search and to travel. If the shop keeper does not have to be at the shop for a sale, why does the buyer?

Because of the game they are trying to create contains purchase baskets and shop stands. They could have created a trade only model if they wanted both sides of the party present, but they didn’t. Maybe a change in the design is coming, I don’t know, but we know what they initially intended to have.

I cannot argue the walking across half a planet to get to a shop is not fun but that bit of effort is not what I was trying to convey against the larger conversation of “universe auction” versus “planet auction.” I was talking about the easy work of scanning the whole universe (maybe 100+ planets in future) all being put in your hands versus some effort of finding a deal. As well as the whole part about individual markets (more shops not less) versus a flat market.

In real life everyone loves amazon prime and not having to leave the couch, but it and much of the global marketing design has ruined businesses for the smaller people that cannot compete. People should really value that and focus on that versus their quest to have things super easy. It would be a bad day in Boundless history if we chose to allow the big economy players decimate the smaller ones that are just trying to play a bit of the “shop” game without putting things in place to give all people a chance. The big boys don’t have enough game challenges once they are up and running versus the small shop trying to compete in my view.

If we are going to fundamentally change that game design (of shop stands) and introduce “ecommerce and instant delivery” (not saying you are wanting that exact concept), then we should probably take time to revision that whole part of the game so it works for everyone. But for me, that doesn’t make much sense since the we all already agreed to have shop stands and have just had people take a whole year to build their shop, etc.

Additionally, in my head it makes no sense that people would argue some of the issues they do in these forums about “losing all the effort I put in” and fight change but then be ok with “instant delivery” and completely nixing the need of shops or some level of looking for a deal. I not saying everyone is pushing it but some certainly have tried to take the conversations that way.

A planet market design (assuming that is even the idea they have) just seems better and provide more options for everyone instead of a 1 stop mega store from where I stand. That was the only reason I was ok if they have an atlas linked to planet shots only.

1 Like

its 100% possable i use a mod in WoW that you hit a button it scans the entire AH and then returns the best price bassed on average listed price to sell a given item for. all the mod has do it is store the data in a local DB once done the mod just has to pull form that DB cuz its a offline file and not interacting with the live servers in anyway other then telling you what you should be selling something for its normally allowed

edit: sorry marjovex for the ping i was going to reply to someting you sayed but changed my mind and forgot i have to delete and rewrite the post to remove the reply ping

No worries :+1:

Watch out devs, you know in the future people are going to start asking for a companion app so they can check their shop sales, footfall, avg prices, new Exos, etc while they’re at work/school :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

One question, where do the coins that the system gives us by the footsteps come from? Of the taxes or the system that generates them?

Awesome ideas!! The only thing I would tweak would be to have both parties get footfall. The beacon owner and the player exploring.
Diminishing returns and no self ff, sounds good and fair!
(Cannot STAND running around looking for a request basket for an hour and finding NOTHING and getting nothing for it also)

5 Likes

They are made up and just created… It is just seen as a tap to introduce coin. The taxes from the system go nowhere… they are a sink.