Global Chat [POLL]

Do you sometimes feel a bit lonely in Boundless?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Would you like global chat to be introduced?

• I would like to
  • No, I don’t want global chat

0 voters

Sometimes I wonder if players are leaving because they don’t feel connection with the world.

3 Likes

Yes, I feel lonely, no to global chat. I think we should interact with people we come across. Keep some realism. Also loneliness will change as more players join.

7 Likes

While I personally don’t want a global chat, you do raise a good concern about connectivity.

I know a lot of people in this community would say a simple solution is to have a toggle to turn on, or simply join a global channel, but I personally find these sort of solutions to be somewhat unimaginative.

So, I propose a solution! How about an equipable tool that enables global chat? I don’t mean hand held, something like a wrist slot wearable would do nicely.

This has the added benefit of providing a way to curb bot spam, as if this item is crafted or discovered, bots don’t have an easy time spamming a global chat channel.

Shout range skill could be used to unlock more channels? No skill grants friends list only, 1 skill grants guild chat, 2 skills grant global?

8 Likes

Same thinking here - global chat would cancel the need to move between locations to actually talk to people (and I like shout range skill connected to it).

I think chat limited to shout range is fine and discord and such means of communications are just good enough to take eventual loneliness out of equation.

2 Likes

Need a third option, global chat but with an option to opt in/out of it.

This is a barrier for someone people. Not everyone owns discord or knows about the Boundless Chat channel and it requires them to leave the game to chat (if they refuse to install the client).

Cough
FFXI Linkshell
Cough

2 Likes

Never played FFXI, but a quick wiki reference of them sounds interesting. I was thinking more of Buzz Lightyear personally

yes, but it wouldn’t cancel the need to move between locations for other things. Also, people in MMO’s tend to flock together anyways, especially when they can communicate their position.

I don’t think a third-party program like Discord should be a necessity, just a bonus. A global chat would be fine, as long as it is optional. I’ve played quite a few MMOs with general/area/trade chat that was possible to toggle off, which I sometimes do because it is too much noise for me sometimes. Also, “Linkshell”/custom/group-chats would be nice to have.

2 Likes

When we are talking about a global chat are we talking that it covers all planets or just the planet you are on? I think I would rather it just be restricted to your current planet.

1 Like

Ideally it would be:

global chat - chat to everyone on the current world you are on
local chat - chat to everyone 50 meters around you
private chat - send private messages to a player on any world
group chat - chat to everyone in the group on any world

However, all of this might not be technically possible.

12 Likes

These would be fantastic. Hopefully it will be possible.

1 Like

Lots of stuff on my -what if- bag…

so i’m guessing this will take over the -almost not used- 800m talk skill… it should be exchanged for skills which allows you to choose from all those chats (for the ones that don’t want to chat globally, up for them to choose)

maybe you’re a trader and you only want a tradechat
maybe you’re on a hunting group and you want a party chat for people not to get lost
or you’re just a guildmaster and you need to make announcements through a guild chat

even though all these options are faded by a single use of an app we all in, and it’s called discord. That’s why i get the point of the ones saying “i don’t want global chat”.

however, for people who doesn’t use that, it would feel less lonely and save lots of time

Ps: just some ideas, i think general chats is thinking far ahead from what the game is developing so far as the actual state of the game encourages people to move around more than every other mmo

1 Like

I think a global chat should be implemented just to make the world feel like it is populated. What I think would be even better is having the option to turn it off for those that does not want it.

2 Likes

I have a lot of conversations among a small group that is together when we are making decisions on a build or where to place something in our town. If we have people from the entire planet also in the chat, it is going to get very confusing to try and sort out what comments are relevant and which are not. If we are limited to only one type of chat or one chat channel, then I am strongly against global chat.

1 Like

I think the World of Warcraft system was the best. Just choose your channel and talk. I hate it when I’m all alone in the game.

6 Likes

What if…trying to stay in the Boundless universe…you could craft an early ‘walky-talky’ but for text channels. You could set it to different numbers/channels, which would be local to the world you’re on only.
That way you could also just change the channel/switch it off again. Potentially giving future guilds password lockable channels in the future.

1 Like

i very much like the idea of a craftible communication device!

1 Like

How about some kind of device you can place in your own beacon which enables you a communication with other people at global chat when within specific range from this device?

This way people could communicate with each other while building/crafting etc and just talk/plan future expeditions/find customers for trade.

When outside your beacon you would not receive any global messages.

• some art :smiley:
10 Likes

nice shadows on the house :smile:

4 Likes

I generally like this idea, I find that a communication network would be a cool idea to implement it would make communication more dynamic and is generally a good thing.

I often feel lonely in the world of boundless, so I feel a global chat would be beneficial, that’s just my two cents on the issue.

But to go more in-depth on the concept if we were to implement such a notion then what would be the consequences?

Well for one it would remove the realism and reduce the strategic nature of communication, that would tend to be a negative thing, but does it offset the need for sociability?

I think not, we have multiple options to create this method of global communication to include it as a game mechanic so as to prevent the game from going stale in this sense, such a shout range, and global communication arrays.

I believe it would be beneficial to utilize a common theme here and develop a global communication method.