Gold / Silver / Iron hammers

Latest patch notes say:

Increased the damage on Gold tools to bring their DPS more into line with Silver and Iron Tools.

I assume this update was pushed out automatically. I did not see any improvement to the basic gold hammer… DPS seems the same as iron, and silver for that matter…

If this is the case, what advantage does Gold have over iron? It’s much more work to craft, but takes the same amount of time to break blocks…

While I’m at it… it seems Silver, even with its speed boost, requires the same amount of time to break blocks as iron as well…

Help me understand… if the advantages are equally balanced by the disadvantages for each metal, but the crafting process is much harder for one… why would anyone use a silver or gold hammer?

1 Like

You don’t use Silver or Gold. They are a trap. You stay with Iron, and skip that to make Titanium next, then Gems when you get better at the Gem Wall grind.

that’s ridiculous.

Silver has high action speed, gold has high crit chance and effect. Both have their uses, and naturally pair well with additional forged effects. Stack damage on silver tools for super fast, hard hitting hammers, or stack crit chance on gold tools that have 100% crit effect- I’ve seen insane numbers come from gold tools. Gold fists that hit for 13000 crit every time is a beautiful thing.

It might be, but from what I see in game, read on the forums, and see in shops, Silver is very rarely sold anywhere, and Gold is almost just as rare, except in the very big shops that sell every item in the game overpriced.

And people mentioning getting past the Gem Wall to grind out Gems, they all mention doing it with Iron tools, not Silver or Gold.

ah, so basic gold and silver tools are useful only as a base for crafting? Does iron not scale as well with these type of buffs?

I have 50% crit with my gold hammers, but they do less damage than my iron hammers, so dps tends to balance out… speed is doubled with a silver hammer, but dmg is crippled, so dps is similar.

What stops an iron hammer from being a functional base for crafting? Instead of stacking damage on a silver hammer, can’t I stack speed on an iron hammer and get similar results?

A chart I made of the hammer breakdown pre patch 201:

Base damage to Gold hammer is now 600 rather than 500. You can confirm this by viewing the stats ingame.

Now how much of an improvement this is to where it was previously? This requires quite a bit of testing and really can’t be supported by any anecdotal observation. Why? Because each person has a unique build and the hammer is being applied to blocks of different tiered planets which have different HPs.

I actually intend to do some testing of the new Gold hammer. I have noticed a difference and I think I can find some use cases for it. If you’re looking for Gold to replace iron in every situation, then I don’t think you’ll find it with the new tweaks. If, however, you’re interested in using it in specific scenarios, then I think it might work. Basic framework is for higher tiered planets in combination with possible forgery (but not neccesary) and brews/food.

If you want more insight, I’d point you to this theorycrafting guide on how to use super strength and fast brews on Iron and Copper hammer. I intend to do more of these including Gold :slight_smile: But hopefully, it will give you some creative ideas.

I made an earlier post here about the simple breakdown in math here. I think you’ll find that some of what I said will reinforce your line of thought. My basic theory is that you only needed some tweaks to damage and that’s what they did…for Gold.

1 Like

You can, but it ends up being a mediocre tool where as silver and golds passive attributes translate into stellar forged tools when synergized with advantageous forge boons.

1 Like

I use silver hammers a lot. They are good for mining out low tier planet resources as they can break a block with the same number of strikes as an iron tool but do it much faster. I don’t mind making them either as I have plenty of silver. If anybody needs silver hammers let me know. I’ll sell them for cheap as I make them a lot…

1 Like

I use my silver and gold for titanium (since you need either silver or gold alloy to make titanium) also if you plan to make power coils you’ll need silver and gold for those as well. Stick with iron for hammers/shovels/axes is my advice, the extra crit or extra speed isnt worth the material cost on an unforged gold or silver tool.

Gold and silver grapples and weapons may be more useful though

So I guess if you polish a meh tool with high end forging, you end up with a =) tool that is nowhere as good as an already good tool polished with high end forging…?

Isn’t that how it should be? Or do I miss understand what you mean?

Thanks for the info, very useful. I didn’t realize crit effect was able to buffed.

Silver is very nice on low tier worlds, because it can still 1hit (with the skills), have more dura and is fast as crazy.

1 Like

I will try silver for low tier worlds one day, i ran out mass crafting titanium furnace base for my coils :confounded:

The durability for gold was less than iron before. But I agree it’s rather useless… I had a ton of gold ready to do major mass crafting of gold tools but after update decided still not viable. Only using gold to craft grapples and make titanium alloy

1 Like

I have 100+ titanium alloy I’d be willing to trade for other mats. Need a variety of mats. I won’t be on again for 10 hrs, but PM me if you’re interested.

Thanks, i already made them though lol. I got to do more gem farming this weekend so im sure i’ll find more :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome. Please let us know how the new gold hammer works out for you. And yeah, crit is the secret weapon with Gold. You haven’t lived until you hunted with a Gold fist against T6 animals :wink:

2 Likes