Grammar Argument - Builder's Buff Description

I don’t think it sounds right “…and a 50% to Block Placement Speed”, but the person I’m talking to, does. Is this a mistake, missing ‘increase’? Or do I in fact deserve the ‘E’ I got in English GCSE?

builders buff

Edit: While I’m in a pricky mood, I don’t think the ‘Mountain’ should have a capital ‘M’:

grapple and run

:

5 Likes

haha
I would go for “Members get a 50% increase to Chisel Durability and Block Placement Speed”.

just one “50”, just one “increase” - it’s shorter and easier to grasp

7 Likes

Could go both ways I suppose.

“…Durability and 50% to block placement speed”. Taking out the “a”.

Or

“…increase to chisel durability, and a 50% (increase) to block placement speed”

Hahaha

Edit: I like @boundmore 's way best.haha

2 Likes

that looks like a typo to me

but the increase description is off
"Run Speed increases by 0.6m/s and Grapple Length by 25m for Members" would sound better like this: " Increases Run Speed by 0.6m/s and Grapple Length by 25m for Members".

2 Likes

high-horse

3 Likes

Think it could really go either way like stated above

Seconded

The capitalization in Boundless is…deeply confusing and slightly irritating to me. There are rogue capital letters all over the place. I gave up lol

2 Likes

Well what about the S in speed and the G in grapple and the L in length and the M in members? @Ovis

I took those to being names, ‘Run Speed’ ‘Grapple Length’, therefore making it okay for them to have capital letters. I was also gonna mention ‘Members’ but then I also thought there could be an argument made there to say that the term ‘Members’ is the name given to people in a guild.

1 Like

Indeed it’s common to use capitals in skills names, creatures names etc., so it’s clear when they denote in-game entities:

• Luck = character stat
  • luck = common use of the word (“success or failure brought by chance”)

It allows to avoid confusion.

Compare these 2 sentences (advice to a player asking how to get more drops) to see how confusing the meaning can be:

You need more Luck
You need more luck.

2 Likes

Thanks for the screenshots. It’s quite clear that a bit of text is missing from the first. For the second, I agree the capitalisation looks strange for the third word, especially when it’s not applied to the sixth word, so that’s been added to the bug database as well.

1 Like