Griefer prevention: a 1 or more wide plot "perimeter" around plots

So I tried to look up if there had been any suggestions for this already and didn’t really see much in a brief look. I suggested this in another thread but thought it might need it’s own thread.

With the recent (yet not so recent) griefing taking place, it’s made me wonder why it is so rampant in the game. Obviously, griefers will be griefers so having steps to help “soften the blow” could go a long way.

Enter the idea of the perimeter.

The idea is fairly simple: to have a 1 plot wide area that affect adjacent plots to all plots that have owners. Within this perimeter, only the owner or a friend or guildmember of that owner can plot that particular plot.

This perimeter would then be able to stop griefers from plotting single plots in a city and actions can be taken place by the plot owner in the transfership of plots in order to prevent griefers from coming in and plotting while a transfer is underway. Friends and guild members can still plot right next to each other and continue to form cities as per the original idea of the game.

I’d be curious as to what the community thinks of this idea.

It’s not a new idea, but it is a good one that I feel could potentially prevent some future plot disputes if implemented correctly.

Might make it difficult for those setting up malls or markets.

It then requires that you become guildmates or friend for this to happen.

And particularly friending someone you don’t know so well can lead to issues further along the line.

Its not a terrible idea by all means, and worth a bit of discussion around.

This is true. However, what if there was a new distinction such as “associate” to also be allowed for such things?

Or better yet, the ability to tell the game a plot is a “mall” and then the same current rules with the existing malls in the game could be used?

Ton of discussion on the dev-proposed topic over here if you want to see some survey results as well on this idea.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out! I totally must have missed that in my search but it’s nice to see most of the community likes the idea.

Turn it off or on. . You can have a perimeter or not up to the beacon owner. So if you have a mall and do not want to friend everyone that might join then turn off the perimeter.

1 Like

That could work

I think the plot buffer approach will stop one very specific kind of “griefing”, which is taking small areas (up to 2x2 plots for buffer=1) inside an existing city. But it will do nothing for other styles of “griefing” like blocking city expansion. In fact it will make it easier to do because now the griefer’s plots also have plot buffers blocking you too.

I use griefer in quotes because I still don’t believe simply taking these plots, even if you do nothing with them, is griefing. The game rules are permissive and clear. If some players don’t like the rules it doesn’t mean the other player is a griefer.

5 Likes

This isn’t about preventing all griefing. There’s not going to be one end all solution to that. However, if we can prevent some of the griefing then it’s better than doing nothing at all.

While taking the plots in itself is not “griefing” by game rules, intent still exists. While it can be difficult to prove that intent in a lot of cases, in other cases it’s extremely obvious (such as signs saying “sucker!” or whatever).

While I understand rules are rules, that’s also the very problem that seems apparent in this game. The rules are meant to protect players; however, the rules also have loopholes that often times protect the griefers from ever getting caught, especially when you look at it from the perspective you provided.

You shouldn’t need to be friends if someone tries to beacon next to you it should flag on the land owners beacon prompting them to except or deny the person trying to claim land next to you.

4 options should also be placed on the beacon

• allow all friends to claim next to you.
  • allow all guild members to claim next to you
  • all player (name) to claim next to you
  • safe zone On/Off

These options will allow a player to give instant access to safe zone around beacon to whomever they choose.

The perimeter should be able to scale up to 3 blocks. Dnt care how that is established in the game.

This would be a great way to prevent mall and cities from losing ownership of the land they work so hard on.