Grouping of Items via Planet over Color ID

There was a quick topic I started about grouping of items and the challenges around it (see: https://forum.playboundless.com/t/item-grouping/9479/5 ). Based on the replies I would like to offer a suggestion on a better organization method.

Currently there are many items that look the same based on color but do not actually stack together because they are from different planets. Yet there is no way to determine this because the color and texture look the same. The design starts to have major problems as we try to stack items. We always seem to have many smart stacks of items (like stones) in very few numbers that do not add up to 99 for each group.

We shouldn’t have to sit around trying to drop items on top of each other and working through all the small stacks to try to get them to add up to 99. It takes a lot of time and who only knows how bad the problem will become when there are more planets.

Please adjust the design so smart stacks either:

1. Support a various stack of colors based on a selection system (e.g. I can go and select the item type or color or planets I want grouped)
  2. Support at least items that have the same color/type no matter what planet they come from

Or there is a better naming convention (e.g. Igneous Rock (Berlyn)) So that we can have an easier time organizing.

I am sure others will reply to this thread with some other ideas.

6 Likes

OR, when there are more planets, make sure each different COLOR code actually has a unique color.

5 Likes

Yes, yes, yes!

I have a separate workbench / storage just for those filthy alien blocks that refuse to fit in!

2 Likes

I think they should group just by color ATM. But I don’t know if, in the future, blocks will retain properties like the “hardness” of the planet it came from, if they will, would be better to group by planet.

Another request that I’d do is that pressing Shift + Left Click in a item to go to storage, it doesn’t make it stack with others. It’s annoying when dealing with a big storage.

That is the plan, up to the max number of colours (<=255 less reserved for other uses) per palette family (stone/leaves/gleam/etc). So if there are 1000s of world then colours will be shared by more than one world but will they will have the same color index and stack as expected.

2 Likes

Perfect, then the stacking problem should sort itself out eventually. Thx.

That is good to know… it is still frustrating to wait for it… But, can we ensure that there is some sort of clear naming convention on color so that we can organize as well. Not something in like the right click notes but in the name so it is clear?

I can only imagine how hard it will be with slight shade differences. So anything to help make sure we know what we are dealing with – even if the number is in the name will help.

thank you…