Guild Cities, Settlements, and Player owned housing

What I would really like to see in this game is the ability for players and guilds to start their own town and cities for trade, defense and a place to call their own.

General:

1. PvP status of your settlement, town, or city should be optional on PvE. Once switched to PvP however, it should be permanent to prevent abusing the system.
  2. We should not be able to beacon right next to each other. Griefing will occur, there needs to be something implemented like my buffer zone idea mentioned throughout the post.
  3. Guilds should be a very large power looked at like a major part of the economy. There should be many tools allowed in governing your city claims, and even more with the structure of your guild.
  4. Guilds should have to earn a lot of money before starting an entire city. There should be a research tree to earn different perks and ways for guilds to monetize their creations. How guilds recruit and display themselves should be a major factor in their success and seperate the good guilds from the greatest.

Guild Requirements:

In order to start a city that basically blocks off building and resource gathering for a set area, I think it’s important to have some high standards for starting a city.

1. Minimum guild member requirement - should be around 16 or 32 if not higher depending on how many people will be playing the game.
  2. It should cost an ENORMOUS amount of money, several days or weeks of time between a group to amass or even a guild leveling system where you have to invest research time in order to start your own city.
  3. There should be an upkeep cost that is maintainable for an active guild but harder for a smaller or inactive one to keep up with. This will encourage trade and communication between cities.

Cities:

1. Ability to claim land with several beacons [Done]
  2. Ability to set different areas (shops, pvp arenas, pubs, capital building, etc.) using different types of beacons. These beacon blocks could be residential, business, or city building oriented, each having a completely different purposes. So if you wanted to build a pub you could and it would have different properties than the player housing just down the street.
  3. City name visibility on the map, can be toggled if you don’t want attention.
  4. Ability to provide slots of land for residents, builds on the land would have to be approved by the owner of the city to prevent griefing. Once approved it would be locked in place, only allowing edits when approved or when the city owner needs to make a change.
  5. Provide the ability to participate in faction warfare.
  6. Buffer zone between cities so there are open areas for newer players to move, explore and mine. These buffer zones between city start-ups should be a large region apart from each other. While settlements could be in a smaller buffer zone (about a horse ride away). This is to prevent land being claimed right next to each other in a sloppy manner; this also encourages exploration and competition.
  7. Source of bulletin missions, anybody could post an order for materials, or that something be done and it could be filled.

Settlements:

1. Formed by a small guild or even one player with a very small amount of upkeep. Size of settlement depends on amount of players.
  2. In a smaller buffer zone than cities.
  3. Used for minimal protection, temporary claims or remote housing outside of cities.
  4. Provides an option for players who want to build something great without the complications of running a large guild.

City laws:

1. Faction status - shows how friendly you are towards a given faction.
  2. Bounty/Outlaw system - marks wanted criminals in your city or faction in red when they have been spotted on your territory.
  3. Defining certain actions available to certain statuses of players, so if you are friendly you can access more of the city, or if you are an outlaw you couldn’t access the stores.

Shoot me some more ideas and I might put it above! I’d love to improve on my ideas and get a groundwork for the devs. Like and follow this topic for some more traction! @ben I would really like for the team to consider the ideas in my post.

2 Likes

Player runned cities will be great and I like the idea of building up not Only a row of houses but a functioning community with jobs and shops for its residents. The fact that there will be (nearly) no nscs ingame and the possibility to grow beacons for guilds or groups of players are quite good reasons to build such cities :wink: … But the idea of giving different people different rights bound to only parts of a beacon may be only good for capital cities if there will be any in the future. I don’t like hierarchies and to much laws and order among friends :wink:

1 Like

I have some ideas for guild sponsored settlements and how they could work, but I think I’ll wait till I’m at my pc to write that up. Phone posting is somewhat of a hassle.

1 Like

I’d like to hear your ideas!

I think that giving rights to individuals who would like to pay rent to be under the protection of a large faction might be pretty cool. It would give a sense of community for groups and might give a good chance for some roleplay even.

I was sorta leading toward this in the following thread
https://forum.oortonline.com/t/beacon-restoration-aura/773

I don’t know if it is a good idea to allocate towns, but I do think it is possible to grow them organically.

1 Like

I’m not sure how I feel about that, I definitely think there should be ways to invade a town given you have enough power to back yourself up but I don’t know if it should always be open to attack and abuse. Now that being said I don’t think you should be able to just erect a huge capital by yourself, it should take a guilds effort and planning. Fundraising to buy the land, power in numbers to claim a space, and again that same strength to protect against sieges and things like that.

Sounds like you’re talking PVP. Block placement and destruction is essential to this kind of game play.

Nobody should ever own a town or even an eigth of one. Having an organized group of friends found as town is the best use case possible.

2 Likes

I definitely think to prevent from all land being claimed in a given area, there should be a buffer zone, a maximum amount of territory you can claim, and a minimum amount of players required to start a city however you should be able to raid other cities for control of theirs or even just for looting.

1 Like

That will be fun game play on the PVP servers!

1 Like

It definitely would be very cool!

1 Like

I kind of looooooove the idea of being able to rent a room in a large town. Especially if recovering HP is tied to sleeping in a bed or whatever.

I’m being deliberately choosy about my SAO references here, but there was a nice simplicity in the distinction between “town” and “floor” (or in this case, “world”) – the idea being, you go to one place to fight and level up, and you go to the other to rest, restock, etc. Oort can be more complex than that of course, but the idea is good.

Iterating on the idea – having a way to define “rooms” would be really cool. It would enable player-run taverns, which would be a place for newer players (or travelers) to rest up safely, and for older players to make a little gold. Think about it!! Being able to build and rent out little outposts all over the place, I love it.

Defining rooms could be done with a block.

1 Like

I feel like if your able to start up your own town that would be amazing, and it would help its founders with capital over a lot of the economy in the area. Really looking forward to see how these turn out, and also how the war systems made, probably only if you have a guild you can wage a war against a rival city. That would be insanely epic for like this guild riding up on mounts or just a bunch of their members (and maybe mercenaries :wink: ) working together to topple a city.

1 Like

I posted this before and I know a lot of people already disagree with a few things, thats fine. I will just post it up again so you can take ideas from it and use them to help improve our gaming possibilities for the future of Oort.

This was stated on the main website. “Combine Beacons with your friends to found a settlement and share land.” I can imagine placing a beacon next to another should cause some kind of reaction. This might be how a city is created and how you become a resident of such city, allowing you to build within all areas of said city.

Beacons

A player is given a beacon from the start. They may grow this beacon by placing another beacon token within it. Players can craft beacon tokens however they require rare resources. Players can hold as many beacon tokens as they like however they may only use 9 at any given time. Players can choose to place a beacon token onto an active beacon to grow it, or place a new beacon somewhere else. This allows players to combine their own beacons to make shapes in their territories.

No beacon

Outside beacons players are against the mercy of the wild. They must survive against protectors, wild animals, and weather. Anything the player builds will also be affected to decay, fire, protector raids, and nature. The best way to protect property is to use a beacon however protectors will still attack large or groups of beacons trying to reclaim the territory. The more you build the more violent they become. Most the game requires you to explore outside beacons and hunt protectors. This is a survival game after all.

Solo players

I do not believe a solo player can or should build an entire city. They may build a beacon of their own and live within that beacon just fine however the game is more fun if you play with others and should encourage you to do so. Outside beacons are dangerous and you will be attacked by man eating plants, protectors, and nature (you could get hit by lightning.) Building outside beacons is not practical because over time they will get destroyed by the environment. If you find a small area with rare resources you still need to transport them somewhere.

Players with more than one account

I like the idea of couples being able to merge beacons or being allowed to build within each others beacons if not merged however I do see ppl using alts to build more with their main. This is why I believe that once enough beacons have merged that it become public so that 1 player can’t gain a monopoly. There may be an expensive toll to pass through and with so many beacons it could be impractical. Although this may be a reason for players to war.

Less is more

Beacons all over would be annoying and boring. There would not any kind of theme and everything would look almost the same. Also this is a survival game and the main part of the game takes place outside beacons. Where we look for resources, hunt and harvest food, and reduce the number of protectors (some worlds they may be very violent and attack cities).

Protectors and wildlife

At first, the most you’ll encounter is wild creatures that you can hunt. Some will defend themselves and some have packs. Protectors are rare and usually spawn if you build too much in one area. They are the sleeping guardians of that world and you are the invader. Man vs nature… Protectors do not want you there… The more you build the more they spawn in the area.

Combined beacons

Players can combine beacons if the borders touch or overlap. If one player places or grows a beacon onto another players beacon, the players are given the option to combine, remove, or war. If both players agree to combine, the beacons become a settlement and the player with the most territory must name the settlement. If one player fails to respond for a week or is inactive for a month the other can decide to combine or war with the 1st players beacon.

Buildings Hypercubes

Every city building will be a 5x5 - 10x10 block with a door. Players can place this block on any flat surface within their town and build a house around it. The door is like a portal taking you within the building to a room much larger than the outside block. Houses and city buildings will have different size rooms both inside and outside. The interior rooms will expand as the town grows.

Settlements

Settlements are established when 2 - 5 players combine beacons. Residents can grow the settlement by placing beacons outside the settlement however, the beacons count against the total number allowed by the game. The leader can rename the settlement at any time and grant permissions to residents, The leader can also accept new members who try to combine beacons or declare war over territory. The leader must set up a town hall where they will be given 6x6 block with a door they can build around, Other buildings allowed within a settlement are a storage and garrison. Leadership is granted by default however any resident is allowed to run anarchy and attempt to take over leadership.

Small town

If a settlement gets 6 - 20 members they become a small town. At this point anyone can join without permission from the leader. All buildings interiors are expanded and more buildings can be placed. Turrets and other defenses can be placed within a short distance outside the beacon and protectors will attempt to attack the town. Members need to hunt protectors daily around the town to keep the numbers down. If protectors are left alone they may overtake your town. Agriculture is also introduced around beacons where crops and farms can be set up. These are subject to player and protector raids if not near any defenses. Gardens can also be set up within the beacons by members.

Ruins

Any town that was overtaken by protectors become a ruin. All members will be removed and the beacons will belong to the ruin. Players must either move on or retake the town.

City

Cities are established when your town gets 21 - 50 members. Interiors are once again expanded. Residents begin to develop factions and guilds that compete for power. Guild halls can be built and residents can join one of the many guilds. The leader of the city is determined by the leader of the guild with the most prestige. Guilds gain prestige based on overall player battle ratings, weekly protectors killed, members donation to city storage, weekly guild vs guild competitions ect. City beacons expand to protect surrounding farm areas.

Kingdoms

Any city with over 50 members become a kingdom. Kingdoms gain many useful tools for finding server temples and war with other kingdoms. Guilds gain allies with other guilds both in and outside kingdoms. Interior buildings become very large inside and can become grown larger with gold.

City war

If another city nearby comes within 10 blocks they will merge into one big city however they need to war to decide which one consumes the other… the leader can decide to surrender at any time. After a week the city with the most area wins.

Town hall

Players may come here and apply for a house to place within the settlement. The house will be a small 5x5 block with a door. They may build around the block to make their house look anyway they like. Once the settlement grows, players can expand the interior of their houses and the town hall interior will also expand. More buildings can now be build and shops set up. After the town becomes a city a road way will be set up connecting to the capital.

Houses

Houses are very important. If a player dose not own a house when they are killed, they have to respawn at the capital and loose a % of experience and gold. Your house interior can be expanded and you can allow others to help you build within them. You can rest within your house and regain health, learn new skills, and even place portals to other places in the server including another players house in another city (if the other player allows it of course.)

Garrison

The garrison is a building where defenses are studied and turrets can be built. The number of turrets depend on the level of the garrison. Players can build a prototype turret within the garrison but only the leader or a player with defense permissions can decide what ones to use and where to place them. turrets can be mounted to towers and walls for better defenses.

Storage

There are many storage groups players have access to. They have their personal storage within their house, the guild storage, and the city storage.
They may donate to any of these places but only the owner of the storage or someone with permissions may remove the materials within.

Transportation

You can hire a transportation from any storage you have access to. Transportation can be attacked by guardians and other players and loose a percentage of resources. You may transport to your city storage, personal home storage, or guild storage. You can also try to carry them but you will loose them all if you die.

Guild beacon

The leader of a guild may place a large beacon anywhere in the game and set up a portal to their city, This is a good way to farm resources or war with others.

Other builds

Banks, farms, stables, ranch, gardens, arena, dock, skydock, world portals, vacation house, treasury, wedding hall ect.

Capital

Capital cities can act as a city no mater how many members, They cannot grow into a kingdom and are free from heavy protector raids. This is a good place for starter players and is much larger than most player built cities. Capitals have other perks as well such as road design to other same server cities.

1 Like

I really like these requirements, but maybe add an option for people to gather without being a guild? Set up a position marked as “Possible city” or something and then people can come and say they want to join the town?

It is probably going to be more confusing but the cities are going to consists of a greater variety of people.

Important note:
Some people don’t like getting randomly slaughtered by other people, so faction war should either not be possible in PvE worlds or be optional.

Would non city people be able to claim land in these buffer zones?

I loooooove this idea, SAO did that right, there was a purpose to go to cities besides just vendors. You could eat, sleep, recover your health, gain bonuses and I think with this method Oort can feel more alive.

This is exactly what I was thinking with the player rooms in the city, basically you could buy a plot of land from the owner/owners of the city. There would be two ways you could go about starting a player building, renting an already built space, or building your own building in accordance with the style of the city build which would have to be approved by the city owner.

I will add clarity in a bit as I answer your questions.

I think that it should work like this: Guilds could set up a small town for people to pass through or a large citadel basically. They could earn money from rent by running these cities to pool money in for events like hunting, pvp, trade, and expansion. Guilds would have a great influence on the economy, this would increase interaction between cities and other players.

Now if you aren’t in a guild you can still make small settlements with a few of your friends but basically it encourages you to seek out a guild with like minded people. The settlements would be limited in size but still offer you access to shelter and protecting certain minerals near you.

This is EXTREMELY important, I love PvP but not everybody likes that. I believe it should be optional on PvE servers and you shouldn’t be able to change between the modes so once you go PvP you can’t switch back. (To prevent people from never being able to be attacked, but able to switch modes to attack other cities)

Yes, the buffer zones only prevent huge cities and things from popping up, opposing lands shouldn’t be able to claim land right next to other cities. Claiming terrirtory next to a city would cause a huge balance issue in warfare, finding materials that aren’t claimed, and just moving about the world. Cities would have to be regions apart, while settlements could be maybe a short horse ride away from each other. Basically it would be annoying to have beacons going down across the entire countryside.

1 Like

I will get to your reply soon, there are a lot of things to consider and a lot of balancing issues I find in some topics.

With that knowledge in mind I fully support your suggestion :slight_smile:

@Wheelsoff I liked you post when i saw it I just thought it needed a bit of polishing :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! Make sure you like the post so we can get some developer attention!